Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
MED6753

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by MED6753 »

Robert wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:42 pm
While I sympathise with your situation and hope you all get sorted soon, I would point out, that for the "adverts" I've heard the claim of being directed to the right place in 90 seconds is for the ONLINE 111 service, not the phone.
SWMBO was having NHS treatment today.

Robert
That is absolutely ridiculous. How many elderly folks have smart phones or computers and are savvy enough to use an online service? Not many. Their only recourse is a landline. Dumbassery at it's finest. :roll:
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Update, no District nurse had visited by 9:00pm so I once again called 111, but this time I was spoken to by someone within 6 minutes, I kid you not, but still received the same recorded message being answered by the next available call handler, so that is a big fat bare faced lie, just employ more staff to handle the calls, both on the phones and physical staff making the visits FFS.

Anyhow, this person actually cared about people and went the extra mile, so well done to Amanda, about 10:15pm, a Doctor from local Hospital phoned me explaining that it sounded to him like a blood clot and could I get myself down there ASAP and go to the out of hours unit, I said yes, about 11.30PM I could be there.

Off I go, nice surprise parking was free for Christmas, went to main entrance as instructed, all 3 main doors locked, :?: then I saw, in the darkness a small sign saying to follow the arrows :?: only one arrow, then I remembered there was another small fire exit that bell on it, found that in the dark and pressed it. The intercom crackled and I explained what I was doing, the door unlocked and I entered and made way to the Green Zone as instructed, once there I was the only person there, phew, the A&E was heaving, and instantly I was ushered into a consulting room, the doctor felt around leg and asked if there was any pain while she was pressing at various points, no pain, diagnoses, no blot, its just cellulitis and antibiotics needed, prescription would be emailed to my local pharmacy ready for me collect in the morning, 36 hours later we get there :lol:

Lets wait and see, shall we, I have an appointment tomorrow evening with the local nurse for a dressing change, that could be exciting.

I'm off to bed, night all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

:thumbsup:

mnem
homeward bound...
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mnem
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

And while we're doing all that "Full Frontal Nerdity" stuff... have a little of this:

:rofl:

mnem
I didn't even know this was a thing...
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:09 am ...the doctor felt around leg and asked if there was any pain while she was pressing at various points, no pain, diagnoses, no blot, its just cellulitis and antibiotics needed, prescription would be emailed to my local pharmacy ready for me collect in the morning, 36 hours later we get there :lol:
Cellulitis => flucloxacillin I suspect. 4/day, don't eat for 2hrs before and 1hr afterwards (or v.v.). Irritating.

Cellulitis can tend to re-occur, so do whatever's necessary.

Last time I had it, after an operations (oops!), I spotted it quickly and went back to the hospital pronto.

I took part in a trial to see if an extra treatment helped clear it up quicker. Thinking about the protocol and my cellulitis, I told them I thought either I had the placebo or it didn't help. Unfortunately it was the latter. Fortunately I haven't had any more problems.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

tggzzz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:24 am
Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:09 am ...the doctor felt around leg and asked if there was any pain while she was pressing at various points, no pain, diagnoses, no blot, its just cellulitis and antibiotics needed, prescription would be emailed to my local pharmacy ready for me collect in the morning, 36 hours later we get there :lol:
Cellulitis => flucloxacillin I suspect. 4/day, don't eat for 2hrs before and 1hr afterwards (or v.v.). Irritating.

Cellulitis can tend to re-occur, so do whatever's necessary.

Last time I had it, after an operations (oops!), I spotted it quickly and went back to the hospital pronto.

I took part in a trial to see if an extra treatment helped clear it up quicker. Thinking about the protocol and my cellulitis, I told them I thought either I had the placebo or it didn't help. Unfortunately it was the latter. Fortunately I haven't had any more problems.
I'm afraid that I'm one of lifes delicate children :lol: in as much as I'm unable to handle tablets or capsules of any kind, I just choke and totally unable to swallow them. I even infuriate my family because I'm a very slow eater, having been brought up to always chew my food thoroughly before swallowing, (unlike my Dad who could scoff half an uncut loaf in a few swallows without chewing it). That means I have to take in a syrup format, problem is that the Hospital prescribed one thing in that format, the pharmacy doesn't have any, neither do the manufacturers. The pharmacist has suggested an alternative and my Doctor has authorise it and issue another prescription to replace the old one :roll:

I was due for a dressing change on that leg this evening, but she was relying on me taking some from the pharmacy with me, so the nurse is going to be putting a load of dressings and a roll of tape on the reception and my son, the only in the house who has escaped this Covid storm can collect them for me so I can do the same sort jigsaw dressing I did before. We can then revaluate the situation on Friday when I'm supposed to be having another dressing change.

And there was me thinking that growing old would be nice and graceful, not a roller coaster ride in the middle of a raging storm :roll:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:46 am And there was me thinking that growing old would be nice and graceful, not a roller coaster ride in the middle of a raging storm :roll:
Stop watching the TV adverts in between the "fog of daytime television" programmes.

You know the kind of thing: the "prison boat" Saga cruises, the mobility scooters, and incontinence supplies featuring 40 year old models that are imitating Meg Ryan in a restaurant.

In reality it is degradation, damnation, and death. "Raging against the dying of the light" might be sensible if you are a 39yo alcoholic, but not if you are an 80yo invalid. And feel free to choose whichever pronunciation of "invalid" seems more relevant :(
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

MED6753 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:49 pm That is absolutely ridiculous. How many elderly folks have smart phones or computers and are savvy enough to use an online service? Not many. Their only recourse is a landline. Dumbassery at it's finest. :roll:
I hate to point this out (no I don't) that several of the people in this exact conversation qualify as "elderly" yet seem to be managing all this "online service" stuff just fine. And those who don't qualify as elderly are a lot closer to the end of the long march to elderly then the beginning. The Internet has been a part of public life for over a quarter of a century. I'm a little surprised to watch an old man perpetuating the myth that old people are stupid and can't cope with 'new' things.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I can't help thinking about my own father; whom, after 20 years of using laptops that I've provided for him and countless attempts at teaching basic computer literacy, still doesn't understand the difference between an app like WordPad and the documents it creates, or what folders are, or how to use anything more complex than a flip-phone.

mnem
:confounded:
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Cerebus wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:28 pm
MED6753 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:49 pm That is absolutely ridiculous. How many elderly folks have smart phones or computers and are savvy enough to use an online service? Not many. Their only recourse is a landline. Dumbassery at it's finest. :roll:
I hate to point this out (no I don't) that several of the people in this exact conversation qualify as "elderly" yet seem to be managing all this "online service" stuff just fine. And those who don't qualify as elderly are a lot closer to the end of the long march to elderly then the beginning. The Internet has been a part of public life for over a quarter of a century. I'm a little surprised to watch an old man perpetuating the myth that old people are stupid and can't cope with 'new' things.
I'm not perpetuating anything. It is sadly a fact that many folks in their 80's and older are ignorant of the internet. Notice I said "ignorant" not "stupid". I never implied that elderly folks are stupid. My late mother was a prime example. A flip phone was as far as she wanted to go with newer technology. My lady used to work at a senior center. They tried teaching those folks computer usage and the majority really wanted no part of it. But of course there are those older folks who readily embrace new stuff and use it effectively.

And yes, I am old. What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:07 am The head nurse at my Doctors claims she is 68 and only working because she has a sense of loyalty to the patients, she earns £27,000 pa and has to travel 48 miles a day to and from work. She claims that her wages are some 10K less than if she worked in the hospital, disgraceful. She is retiring at the end of 2023, she can't take it any longer, she said.
I know a forensic psychologist[1] who is pushing 80 and can't afford to retire. Unfortunately they are moving her place of employment so that it would be a 2 hour drive each way. She's going to have to find other ways of making money; shouldn't be impossible since she is in demand.

[1] everyday work is with police deciding whether someone in custody needs to be sectioned (i.e. forcibly admitted to mental hospital). Regular work is interviewing those who are or were headline news a few decades ago, to decide how they are and aren't progressing.

For those not familiar with the UK's criminally insane such as Fred & Rosemary West, Ian Brady & Myra Hindley, Dennis Nilson, all you have to do is think of Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer, and you'll get the idea!
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

tggzzz wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:35 pm I'm told that a bird bigger than 11cm high is "unnecessary", which only leaves a baby chicken. I'm trying to find a way to have at least an ordinary Sunday lunch, but that involves paintstripping and metal bashing.

Not in a good mood.
Well, it all turned out OK in the end - Christmas was saved by a Modulation Domain Analyser. Which means the whole subject is actually on topic!

Now a few years ago I bought an HP5371A frequency and time analyser from a well-known barn auction site in the middle of England. When I got it, it took only 30mins to decide that the chance of it working again was infinitesimally greater than zero. So I stripped it down into its metal panels and struts, plus it's 10811-60111 OCXO.

So it came to pass that I found that one of the metal panels was ideal, even having 3mm nuts peened into it. Amazingly I also found four long 3mm bolts in my hoard, so everything was remarkably easy: two cuts and that was it. I now had a new lower shelf and more headroom :)

Since stories like this are nothing without pictures, there's one below. It was taken on Boxing Day, and shows how the HP5371's carcass supported the pheasants' carcasses, with maximal headroom.

Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

tggzzz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:02 pm
Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:46 am And there was me thinking that growing old would be nice and graceful, not a roller coaster ride in the middle of a raging storm :roll:
Stop watching the TV adverts in between the "fog of daytime television" programmes.

You know the kind of thing: the "prison boat" Saga cruises, the mobility scooters, and incontinence supplies featuring 40 year old models that are imitating Meg Ryan in a restaurant.

In reality it is degradation, damnation, and death. "Raging against the dying of the light" might be sensible if you are a 39yo alcoholic, but not if you are an 80yo invalid. And feel free to choose whichever pronunciation of "invalid" seems more relevant :(
Haha, hardly ever watch the TV what are these things you speak of, they are unknown to me. The storm I was talking about is the one I'm in, MIL collapsing, waiting hours for paramedics. Day later admitted to hospital, suffers a stroke, Xmas cancelled, sons gets Covid, passes onto me and SWMBO Xmas eve, me needing paramedics early hours Xmas morning, then getting cellulitis, having to deal with my ankle dressing on mine now twice. Now currently sitting upright in bed while a minor nosebleed stops and leg swelling subsides, that storm 🤣
Who let Murphy in?

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

tggzzz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:56 pm

Well, it all turned out OK in the end - Christmas was saved by a Modulation Domain Analyser. Which means the whole subject is actually on topic!

Now a few years ago I bought an HP5371A frequency and time analyser from a well-known barn auction site in the middle of England. When I got it, it took only 30mins to decide that the chance of it working again was infinitesimally greater than zero. So I stripped it down into its metal panels and struts, plus it's 10811-60111 OCXO.

So it came to pass that I found that one of the metal panels was ideal, even having 3mm nuts peened into it. Amazingly I also found four long 3mm bolts in my hoard, so everything was remarkably easy: two cuts and that was it. I now had a new lower shelf and more headroom :)
This is a delightful story, but I always had an idea that you would win through with your customary resourcefulness. I've no doubt that Bill and Dave would heartily approve.

For other news, I've just noticed that Maplin are back in business selling components. They even have shops, but I don't know what they carry. They might have been doing this for some time, it's just that I haven't noticed.

https://pro.maplin.co.uk/

Not a very exciting range, but they claim to have a lot of it in stock. They might get you out of a hole with CPC etc having so many items on backorder.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yes; my solution to the "not enough ovens for making all the Thanksgiving deliciousness" was to grab my old microwave/convection oven from the attic. It takes up half the kitchen table & is big enough to cook a ham in, and has proven incredibly handy ever since it was put back into service.

It may never go back up in the attic. 🤣

mnem
this message brought to you by Bits o' Pig 🐖 and the letters g, r, a, v & y.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Zenith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:13 pm
This is a delightful story, but I always had an idea that you would win through with your customary resourcefulness. I've no doubt that Bill and Dave would heartily approve.

For other news, I've just noticed that Maplin are back in business selling components. They even have shops, but I don't know what they carry. They might have been doing this for some time, it's just that I haven't noticed.

https://pro.maplin.co.uk/

Not a very exciting range, but they claim to have a lot of it in stock. They might get you out of a hole with CPC etc having so many items on backorder.
That's good news, is it all on line only, I often got bits in their shops to solve issues, in fact their Chelmsford Shop is still empty and proudly has their name above it.
Who let Murphy in?

tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:45 pm
tggzzz wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Haha, hardly ever watch the TV what are these things you speak of, they are unknown to me. The storm I was talking about is the one I'm in, MIL collapsing, waiting hours for paramedics. Day later admitted to hospital, suffers a stroke, Xmas cancelled, sons gets Covid, passes onto me and SWMBO Xmas eve, me needing paramedics early hours Xmas morning, then getting cellulitis, having to deal with my ankle dressing on mine now twice. Now currently sitting upright in bed while a minor nosebleed stops and leg swelling subsides, that storm 🤣
All those are good examples of why growing old is neither nice nor graceful - except in adverts :(
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:18 pm That's good news, is it all on line only, I often got bits in their shops to solve issues, in fact their Chelmsford Shop is still empty and proudly has their name above it.
I was mistaken about the shops. It looks as if online sources still list the shops used by the previous incarnation of Maplins. It's online only. Free shipping on orders over £25. As I recall, in the last two or three years before the old Maplins collapsed, the shops were hit and miss as regards components. You'd want eight transistors of a certain sort, they'd have two in stock. I'd guess that bricks and mortar shops selling components is a business model that doesn't work these days.

I was aware that a Maplins had arisen from the ashes, but last time I looked it sold gadgets and toys, but no components. Now it seems they have a range of components. Nothing to get too excited about, but maybe worth bearing in mind, when the major suppliers can have you waiting for months for quite commonplace parts. Also, probably less chance of being sold fakes than shopping on ebay.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

MED6753 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:16 pm And yes, I am old. What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
You can remember back when it was a lot cheaper? :o :P :P

<ducks and runs>

:D

-Pat
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

He can remember the nickel cigar. :-)
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

Zenith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:26 pm He can remember the nickel cigar. :-)
"Nickel cigar"?
How do you light them? ------An oxy-acetylene torch? :D
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:22 pm Yes; my solution to the "not enough ovens for making all the Thanksgiving deliciousness" was to grab my old microwave/convection oven from the attic. It takes up half the kitchen table & is big enough to cook a ham in, and has proven incredibly handy ever since it was put back into service.

It may never go back up in the attic. 🤣

mnem
this message brought to you by Bits o' Pig 🐖 and the letters g, r, a, v & y.
Brought SWMBO one a few years when our oven gave up a few days before Christmas and the insurance refused to cover a replacement and there none around at the time to fit in the unit, so it was an emergency thing in case I was totally stuffed. I managed to find one in a shop about an hours drive away on Christmas Eve, yes, I was up late fitting the dammed thing, and guess what, I was in the dog house over it because I washed the old oven light to illuminate the Turkey and the glass disintegrated in my hand. I deemed the old oven then as highly dangerous because within an inch or so above the hole left where the glass should be, was the main gas feed to the hob and would be subjected to hot air being propelled directly onto it because it was a fan oven, not an ideal situation in my book :roll:
Last edited by Specmaster on Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who let Murphy in?

Zucca

Post by Zucca »

Zucca wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:40 am
Robert wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:36 am Now you just need a 12 or i6 bit Picoscope....
Stop spending my money!

Anyway the four TA150 I got do not have all the accessories, and I am allergic to that.
I am thinking to flipping them on Ebay and get nice Probe Master 5900 oscilloscope probe kits.

The only difference it could matter is the compensation range
TA150: 10 pF to 25 pF
5900: 6.5 pF to 15 pF

but I do not think it will create a problem....
Just bought 4 brand new TA101 probes for $292.38. Happy.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca
Robert

Post by Robert »

I've been thinking about getting a NewScope LCD replacementfor the CRT display in my HP 8753B VNA. The NewScope upgrades it to colour, less power weight and heat. Unfortunatly the required model (9) is not currently available due to supply shortages. Looks like it uses a Xilnix Spartan 6 FPGA. Farnell are estimating delivery in december 2023... Looking like no end to component shortages. :(
On a work front I've been looking at some new designs and it's very much driven by what is available rather than what is optimum for the function.

Robert.