Philips PM5705 Pulse Generator

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
bd139

Re: Philips PM5705 Pulse Generator

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:48 pm
bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:40 pm Well it was a very exciting job but in the wrong way. Best not be responsible for reliability in a company with a regulatory compliance duty where you can't fix anything due to politics.
Wasn't "project/company scapegoat" in the job description a bit of a hint?
Hey it was danger money. Still plays out. As long as I don't end up getting extradited to the US for a SEC investigation :lol:
... by doing everything cash in hand going forward... :lol:
Don't forget HMRC has more powers than the police. Revenue agents on horseback, and all that.

Governments tend to be a bit touchy about people interrupting their money supply. Well, little people anyway.
Of course. To note I have no intention of violating any rules, just skilfully avoiding having them apply to me :lol:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:40 pm ... getting away with far more than expected from ... a dead parent ...
The optimists point out that your generation will be the richest ever.

The realists point out that, like the future, that phenomenon is already here but isn't evenly distributed.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:08 pm
bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:40 pm Well it was a very exciting job but in the wrong way. Best not be responsible for reliability in a company with a regulatory compliance duty where you can't fix anything due to politics.
Hey it was danger money. Still plays out. As long as I don't end up getting extradited to the US for a SEC investigation :lol:
You wouldn't even have the "autistic defence", not that it seems to be an effective defence.

I've taken the "danger money" route before, but not where law is involved. Yup, I'm a coward. Daughter can be far tougher.
Of course. To note I have no intention of violating any rules, just skilfully avoiding having them apply to me :lol:
Best if it doesn't even appear to apply to you :)
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 pm
bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:40 pm ... getting away with far more than expected from ... a dead parent ...

The realists point out that, like the future, that phenomenon is already here but isn't evenly distributed.
As always though, it's not how much of it, it's what you do with it, unless you have not enough of it to make any choices.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm
bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:08 pm

You wouldn't even have the "autistic defence", not that it seems to be an effective defence.

I've taken the "danger money" route before, but not where law is involved. Yup, I'm a coward. Daughter can be far tougher.
Without getting too far into it, lower-quartile humans like to get friendly with people who implement technical controls when they want them removed. That subcontracts their responsibility for it. Picked the wrong quartile to fuck with that's all I'm saying.
tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm
Best if it doesn't even appear to apply to you :)
That is the appearance that shall be maintained :)
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

One of the most important things adults - and businesses - have to learn is when and how to say "No, shan't".

Forcefully if necessary.
In unmistakable language if necessary.

The polite version involves "I have my 'drop dead' money, so I can tell you to. .. etc".
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:32 pm One of the most important things adults - and businesses - have to learn is when and how to say "No, shan't".

Forcefully if necessary.

The polite version involves "I have my 'drop dead' money, so I can tell you to. .. etc".
Adults and businesses never learn until they believe a tangible risk is place upon them personally. Hand the keys over and let them drive it off the cliff so they can realise half way down that it was a bad idea.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:25 pm
tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:32 pm One of the most important things adults - and businesses - have to learn is when and how to say "No, shan't".

Forcefully if necessary.

Adults and businesses never learn until they believe a tangible risk is place upon them personally. Hand the keys over and let them drive it off the cliff so they can realise half way down that it was a bad idea.
That presumes (a) realistic assessment of risk (b) planning and foresight.

Enshittification relies on the absence of those.

EDIT: you were expecting them to crash and burn. Silly me. Despite my protestations to the contrary, I still believe the future will^H^H^H^H ought to be better.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:42 pm That presumes (a) realistic assessment of risk (b) planning and foresight.

EDIT: you were expecting them to crash and burn. Silly me. Despite my protestations to the contrary, I still believe the future will^H^H^H^H ought to be better.
I think of it as trading security. In a healthy business, the function of the employee and the employer is mutual increase in security. In a failing business, don't be a victim. There's a grey area where I sit which sort of speeds up the demise at their cost of increasing my security rapidly. I feel like I'm doing a public service now :lol:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:48 pm
tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:42 pm That presumes (a) realistic assessment of risk (b) planning and foresight.

I think of it as trading security. In a healthy business, the function of the employee and the employer is mutual increase in security. In a failing business, don't be a victim. There's a grey area where I sit which sort of speeds up the demise at their cost of increasing my security rapidly. I feel like I'm doing a public service now :lol:
That's not an unreasonable characterisation.

Of course the "I was doing them a favour by putting them out of their misery" is a trope in crime fiction :)
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:14 pm
bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:48 pm

That's not an unreasonable characterisation.

Of course the "I was doing them a favour by putting them out of their misery" is a trope in crime fiction :)
I prefer sucking the blood of their dying corpse personally, so a TV trope instead.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm
tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 pm

As always though, it's not how much of it, it's what you do with it, unless you have not enough of it to make any choices.
This. :point_up_2: As mum often said: "Maybe money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you choices; and that CAN lead to happiness."

mnem
mum was wicked smart; yes she was.