Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
AVGresponding

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by AVGresponding »

bd139 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:50 pm Looks like I'm on the wagon again :lol:

Tek 2215A on the way. Needed something to poke around inside an HP41 printer I have which is not working properly...
OFF the wagon... :roll:

If I'd known you were looking for a scope, I'd have offered you my PM3218 (some assembly required)!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:05 pm

Tek 2215A on the way. Needed something to poke around inside an HP41 printer I have which is not working properly...
You'll need to keep it company with a 2225. Auction on Saturday, collect from Bedford. I got my HP8562B spec an from there :)
https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction- ... 25011cecd7
I'm not voluntarily going to Bedford :lol:
bd139

Post by bd139 »

AVGresponding wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:29 am

If I'd known you were looking for a scope, I'd have offered you my PM3218 (some assembly required)!
I will pass if some assembly is required ;)
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:07 am

You'll need to keep it company with a 2225. Auction on Saturday, collect from Bedford. I got my HP8562B spec an from there :)
Google maps indicates it is 50m-100m outside Bedford, right next to a good escape route (the A42). Bracknell is worse :)

Next excuse ? :twisted:
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:19 pm

Google maps indicates it is 50m-100m outside Bedford, right next to a good escape route (the A42). Bracknell is worse :)

Lack of car :lol:
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:08 am
AVGresponding wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:29 am

I will pass if some assembly is required ;)
Anyone would think you don't enjoy jigsaw bezels
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:32 pm

Typical townie :evil:

Use an electric bike; Bedford has a train station and there's a train every 15 mins to London.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Use an electric bike; Bedford has a train station and there's a train every 15 mins to London.
I've got a very nice non electric bike. I just can't be arsed to go all the bloody way to Bedford.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:40 pm
tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:22 pm

I've got a very nice non electric bike. I just can't be arsed to go all the bloody way to Bedford.
It was worth flogging there from Brizzle for my HP, but it would have to be a very interesting scope to make me bother ;)
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:07 am I'm not voluntarily going to Bedford :lol:
As the hub of all things Italian in the UK Bedford is not to be avoided.

My ex-wife, before she was even my girlfriend, did one of her work placements at Charles Wells brewery there. I went up for a weekend to go to a party she was throwing - I read Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes on the coach trip there and back.

The sort of local shop that would have been the local "Paki Shop" in my area was in Bedford run by Italians and had windows full of wonderful Italian hams, cheeses, dried pasta, fresh pasta, and many other wonderful goodies.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I woke up to snow this morning. About an inch, so not a magnificent fall, and melting fast, but still snow. It wouldn't seem like we'd had a winter without a sight of snow, although you can easily have too much of a good thing, especially when it comes to snow.

It's quite late for snow here. There's something very sad about seeing daffodils suffering under the weight of it.
DSCN3478.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yeah, we finally thawed last week after those two blizzards; while I was working on the car I noted our daffydills just nosing up to the surface.

mnem
spring has sproinged!
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Zenith wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:19 am I woke up to snow this morning. About an inch, so not a magnificent fall, and melting fast, but still snow.
And yet 15 miles away there was none. Daughter mentioned reports of snow, but I didn't believe her until I saw an aerial photo in The Grauniad.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Think I'm on the wagon again. On top of the 2215A, the 7150, the PM5705, I accidentally fell on the buy button this morning and another Fluke is arriving shortly :lol:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:58 pm Think I'm on the wagon again. On top of the 2215A, the 7150, the PM5705, I accidentally fell on the buy button this morning and another Fluke is arriving shortly :lol:
My problem is old calculators, including translating pdf images from German.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:58 pm Think I'm on the wagon again. On top of the 2215A, the 7150, the PM5705, I accidentally fell on the buy button this morning and another Fluke is arriving shortly :lol:
My problem is old calculators.
Including translating pdf images from German.
And getting correct solvents/oils :(
bd139

Post by bd139 »

To be fair I'm into old calculators. You're in to ancient calculators :lol:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:31 pm To be fair I'm into old calculators. You're in to ancient calculators :lol:
Not as ancient as you think...

My school had two of them, IIRC. We were taught to use them. They are gloriously tactile, like ASR33s.

But we used slide rules in lessons and exams. Hence pi2=g=10.

My father had an electric (not electronic) calculator; watching it do division was like watching a Bombe work at TNMoC. He used it until he got a Compucorp (322?) programmable calculator the size and weight of a big brick, with Panaplex displays.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm
bd139 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:31 pm To be fair I'm into old calculators. You're in to ancient calculators :lol:

My school had two of them, IIRC. We were taught to use them. They are gloriously tactile, like ASR33s.

My father had an electric (not electronic) calculator; watching it do division was like watching a Bombe work at TNMoC. He used it until he got a Compucorp (322?) programmable calculator the size and weight of a big brick, with Panaplex displays.
That's more ancient than me :lol: I was fortunate to be (young?) enough that pocket calculators had completely obsoleted slide rules and various other mechanical contraptions by the time I needed one.

As for pi^2 = g = 10, that's close enough away but far enough away to annoy both physicists and mathematicians equally.

Those compucorp calculators look rather interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for them!
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Well, physicists can be pragmatic, e.g. their famous "spherical cow in a vacuum". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cow

My father's last published paper has an amusing first line to the introduction. He wanted to know what might happen if a pressurised water reactor had a loss of coolant accident - in particular whether the coolant would stay around long enough for the reactor's control rods to be scrammed. He started his analysis by using waterflowing out of a bathtub.

Fukushima was >20 years later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:22 pm
tggzzz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

That's more ancient than me :lol: I was fortunate to be (young?) enough that pocket calculators had completely obsoleted slide rules and various other mechanical contraptions by the time I needed one.

As for pi^2 = g = 10, that's close enough away but far enough away to annoy both physicists and mathematicians equally.

Those compucorp calculators look rather interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for them!
Haha that is so very true, and to think that many people around now won't even be aware of the bubble LED displays either :lol:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Oh, Happy St. Drunkard's Day, BTW... here, have yourself a intoxication-induced snake-god to celebrate... 🤪

mnem
Robert

Post by Robert »

Dispite being Irish enough to qualify for a passport if I wan't I haven't had a drink today - yet :) I've a bottle of 12year old Redbreast that will probably be bit lower before the days end.
I did go to a Radio Rally today, Grantham. New one for me. It's about 60 miles away. It was pretty wet today but a Google Earth recce indicated it was indoor only so chanced it. It was all indoors and a very small venue. All trader type sellers. No empty spaces. Very little TE and nothing interesting. Saviour of the trip was a seller with about 8 large boxes of bagged up NOS components. All at 50p a bag.. First thing I noticed was a Lascar LCD panel mound DVM module. Ended up with 9 3 each of 3 types. All 3.5 digit. A couple are already allocated to a homebrew PSU that has a faulty DVM of unkown origin. Some decent ceramic caps, nice selection of PICs lifetime supply of 8MHz xtals, small zeners, iron powder toroid cores (labled which is nice for a change normally it's hard to tell if you have iron or ferrite until you get them home), some connectors, 60A 100V TO247 N MOSFETs, nice micro grabbersetc. I bought about 46 bags and stuck to stuff I know I'll use and it's all new quality stuff. Also got an old Ultra standby UHF Tx/RX.
It's a hollow state two channel box one of the later versions with an inverter replacing the original dynamotor for the HT. That was only £3.

Robert.
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Atkelar is doing a full restauration and repair of a Tektronix 576 curve tracer.
This is part 1:
bd139

Post by bd139 »

I wonder what the odds of that ever working again are :lol: