The Meme and Jokes Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
MED6753

Re: The Meme and Jokes Thread

Post by MED6753 »

Pat, those cat rules are right on point. But for some unexplained reason Harley does not jump on the kitchen counters even though he's capable. But the dining table, furniture, TE benches, bathroom vanity are all fair game. And per Blondie's rules he's not allowed in the bedroom at night. So he sits outside the bedroom door at 5:30 AM and meows to be fed. I usually don't hear it so guess who feeds him? :lol:

The rules did miss one important item. The living room sofa is an acceptable substitute for a scratching post. :shock:
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

MED6753 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:43 pm Pat, those cat rules are right on point. But for some unexplained reason Harley does not jump on the kitchen counters even though he's capable. But the dining table, furniture, TE benches, bathroom vanity are all fair game. And per Blondie's rules he's not allowed in the bedroom at night. So he sits outside the bedroom door at 5:30 AM and meows to be fed. I usually don't hear it so guess who feeds him? :lol:

The rules did miss one important item. The living room sofa is an acceptable substitute for a scratching post. :shock:
Another rule is, "The more expensive and easily damaged a piece of furniture, the more cats are inclined to use it as a scratching post". Luxurious leather sofas are a particular target. Purpose made scratching posts, which can be bought for next to nothing, have absolutely no appeal.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Zenith wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:59 pm
MED6753 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:43 pm Pat, those cat rules are right on point. But for some unexplained reason Harley does not jump on the kitchen counters even though he's capable. But the dining table, furniture, TE benches, bathroom vanity are all fair game. And per Blondie's rules he's not allowed in the bedroom at night. So he sits outside the bedroom door at 5:30 AM and meows to be fed. I usually don't hear it so guess who feeds him? :lol:

Another rule is, "The more expensive and easily damaged a piece of furniture, the more cats are inclined to use it as a scratching post". Luxurious leather sofas are a particular target. Purpose made scratching posts, which can be bought for next to nothing, have absolutely no appeal.
My two are the opposite, I have a large scratch post in the hallway that they both use and in the living room we have 2 cardboard scratching pads for them, which they use. The sofa's do come into their realm if they think we are ignoring their requests to be fed however, or if we have birthday cards etc on the sideboard, Megan will jump there and slowly and methodically knock them off, one at a time. Pausing after each one to look at us to see if we are going to feed her...
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

We have a scratching post which Harley will use but given the finicky nature of cats the sofa will come into play when he "feels" like it. :roll:
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Specmaster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:02 pm

My two are the opposite, I have a large scratch post in the hallway that they both use and in the living room we have 2 cardboard scratching pads for them, which they use. The sofa's do come into their realm if they think we are ignoring their requests to be fed however, or if we have birthday cards etc on the sideboard, Megan will jump there and slowly and methodically knock them off, one at a time. Pausing after each one to look at us to see if we are going to feed her...
Anything small on any table or TE bench is an open invitation to knock it on the floor. And he regularly steals the yellow BNC protective covers if I leave them on the bench.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

MED6753 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:23 pm We have a scratching post which Harley will use but given the finicky nature of cats the sofa will come into play when he "feels" like it. :roll:
The ex wife bought two cats. I left her one of the (Ikea) sofas because I only have room for one. She just bought new covers because the cats used it as a scratching post from day one and they were completely shredded. Hilariously she bought two new scratching posts for them, covered them in catnip. They just rub up against those and scratch the shit out of the table legs and the new sofa covers :lol:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:23 am
MED6753 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:23 pm We have a scratching post which Harley will use but given the finicky nature of cats the sofa will come into play when he "feels" like it. :roll:
The ex wife bought two cats. I left her one of the (Ikea) sofas because I only have room for one. She just bought new covers because the cats used it as a scratching post from day one and they were completely shredded. Hilariously she bought two new scratching posts for them, covered them in catnip. They just rub up against those and scratch the shit out of the table legs and the new sofa covers :lol:
How long did it take you to train them to do that :lol:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:54 pm
bd139 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:23 am
How long did it take you to train them to do that :lol:
Ha it's just kitty karma :lol:
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

bd139 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:02 pm Ha it's just kitty karma :lol:
I thought, those were chameleons?
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

From the "Procrustes' hypothesis department", I bring you Susannah Clapp's review of Hannah Carlson's book "In Pockets: An Intimate History of How We Keep Things Close" in the London Review of Books. The whole review is fit only for speed-reading to find the only comprehensible nugget in the last couple of sentences...
Actually, most pockets are self-satirising as containers: men spill themselves all over the place because of gaping trouser pouches. Is this spilling an unconscious territorial claim? Are men particularly keen on pockets because they have vulva envy?
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v46/n08 ... on-pockets

No, I don't normally reads such stuff. I was alerted to it by the "Pseuds Corner" section of "Private Eye".
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:27 am From the "Procrustes' hypothesis department", I bring you Susannah Clapp's review of Hannah Carlson's book "In Pockets: An Intimate History of How We Keep Things Close" in the London Review of Books. The whole review is fit only for speed-reading to find the only comprehensible nugget in the last couple of sentences...
Actually, most pockets are self-satirising as containers: men spill themselves all over the place because of gaping trouser pouches. Is this spilling an unconscious territorial claim? Are men particularly keen on pockets because they have vulva envy?

No, I don't normally reads such stuff. I was alerted to it by the "Pseuds Corner" section of "Private Eye".
That's pretty hilarious. Top read.

Reminds me of a pub conversation I was party to about 25 years ago. A friend of mine, another Chris, was being told by an overbearing feminist (not the usual normal ones) that he had vagina envy because of his large bag he carried around. This was mostly a large bag because laptops were pretty large then, no other reason. He proudly proclaimed "you'd be surprised what I can keep under my foreskin" and the discussion was over :lol:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:59 am
tggzzz wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:27 am From the "Procrustes' hypothesis department", I bring you Susannah Clapp's review of Hannah Carlson's book "In Pockets: An Intimate History of How We Keep Things Close" in the London Review of Books. The whole review is fit only for speed-reading to find the only comprehensible nugget in the last couple of sentences...

That's pretty hilarious. Top read.

Reminds me of a pub conversation I was party to about 25 years ago. A friend of mine, another Chris, was being told by an overbearing feminist (not the usual normal ones) that he had vagina envy because of his large bag he carried around. This was mostly a large bag because laptops were pretty large then, no other reason. He proudly proclaimed "you'd be surprised what I can keep under my foreskin" and the discussion was over :lol:
Neat. I'm amazed such "sense-divergent"[1] people exist outside magazines. I always think of such ripostes later :(

I hope her hir companions appreciated the wit.

[1] I'm currently enjoying "Astrid and Raphaelle"/"Astrid: Murder in Paris", about a "neuro-divergent" archivist. Uniquely, it takes some care to explain how neuro-divergent people perceive the world and react.