Tektronix 475

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
bd139

Re: Tektronix 475

Post by bd139 »

25 CPS wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:37 pm
AVGresponding wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:27 am iirc Minolta hoovered up (sorry, not sorry) a number of other camera brands (Konica, Yashica etc) and some of them may still be in operation, or the brand names sold to the Chinese, not sure...
AVGresponding wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:27 am iirc Minolta hoovered up (sorry, not sorry) a number of other camera brands (Konica, Yashica etc) and some of them may still be in operation, or the brand names sold to the Chinese, not sure...
I could've sworn that Sony bought Minolta's camera line and that's how they entered the still photography market. I had a Minolta film scanner that I bought in the early 2000s shortly before Minolta got dissolved and that whole line of business got dropped.
Sony did actually had a pretty mediocre portfolio of mid to low end cameras until about 2005. People didn't notice them as they were mostly video market. But yes Minolta's photography ops were sold to Sony in 2006. They used the expertise they bought in over the following years to build the new "E-mount" system which was supposed to be a superior mount for mirrorless cameras. Unfortunately they fucked up as the mount and flange to sensor distance is too small for some classes of lens. And now they are stuck with it. Despite it being several years earlier to market, Nikon Z / Canon RF seem to have killed it dead for still mirrorless photography. So along with that goes Minolta too.

Boo hiss.

Tags: