Finally some proper thinking.

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Specmaster

Re: Finally some proper thinking.

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:56 am This is why the Casio F91W is the pinnacle of timekeeping technology. In the time you wasted on that you could have just bought another Casio. Or if that strap hasn't fallen apart, replace the battery yourself.
Not to sure the F91W is the pinnacle, but it most certainly isn't bad, I used to have one those myself. The battery replacement is very easy to do on them and it should be similar on other devices as well, I mean can you imagine having to send your expensive Nikon camera back to Nikon every time the battery dies?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool

Tags:
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

bd139 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:56 am This is why the Casio F91W is the pinnacle of timekeeping technology. In the time you wasted on that you could have just bought another Casio. Or if that strap hasn't fallen apart, replace the battery yourself.
Yeah, but a Casio F91W is just a simple reliable time piece whereas a Breitling isn't really a timepiece, it's man jewellery. Heck even my 20+ year old titanium Seiko is as much man jewellery as it is timepiece (which part it does very well, it's good to better than 5 seconds in 3 months which is better than 1 ppm which is amazing for a portable instrument that cost about £65).
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

That's why I wore Timex IronMan watches until they got bought out by the Chinese factory that used to make for them; I positively loathe plastic lenses on a watch.

Then I switched over to the Fossil Blue family of diver's watches; still have several that are 20+ years old. Hard to beat value for ~$50 new; mineral glass lens, properly functional rotating crown, and 100% stainless steel case/band with proper removable links.

I had to abandon them when they abandoned all reason and jumped on the "here, slap a hockey puck on your wrist and call it a timepiece" idiocy; I come from an age when one of the key selling points of a watch was how thin and unobtrusive the design was. That whole thing is more like a bracelet by Big Ben...

But I still occasionally shop and buy the vintage ones from the early 2000s; some of the best all-around time-keeping devices ever made.

mnem
*not wearing digital watches, probably due at least in part to being made fun of by Douglas Adams*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:11 pm
Specmaster wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:19 pm
bd139 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:19 pm

If it was £260 or higher it probably wasn't a refurb. The box should be tape sealed.
Well, no, it was sub £260 but the phone is 100% new, in original box and was sealed, but there are indeed quite a few sellers, even on Amazon, selling these phones for quite northwards of £260 and they are sold as refurbs and are clearly marked as such. So all in I think I got a pretty good deal.

The phone is a few grams heavier than the old one and I will certainly be getting a case for it as it very slippery. Now begins the long process of installing things and transferring data from old one over. Things like passwords etc just will not transfer over, the apps all did, but they all require setting up and Android 13 is a lot different to that on the old one so need to take it slowly and learn my around the interface.
I bought mine directly from Amazon rather than other sellers. Warranty is important. I paid £287.43 for mine which is £87.44 more than just the AppleCare for the iPhone 14 Pro :lol:

I keep my passwords in KeepassX as it's platform portable. As much as MS are fucking dickwads, as I'm on a windows machine, using Authenticator and Edge actually sync across desktop and android nicely. As good as iOS/macOS.
As promised, here are my thoughts on the Pixel 6A, I really like it, yes it has a learning curve, but that is not the phone but Android 13, and that would be the same regardless of the OS, each and every new OS sucks until you learn how to drive it. The phone is really pretty powerful without breaking the bank and the method of closing an app is now sinking in and I admit, it is far more logical than previous versions of Android OS's.

There is so much to this new version that Google really need to issue some downloadable instructions/notes on how to use the new features built in, and they keep adding more all the time. It is so much better that the old Huawei phone it is replacing.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:00 am The same thing might apply here with our military, I'm not sure but it is most certainly Android appears to be the phone of choice by companies.
The companies issuing Android phones and running business critical software on them (a web browser is critical, as is email.) and not fencing them in, extremely so, are simply tipping the scales heavily towards short-time cost cutting measures that are going to hurt them in the long run. The Android ecosystem is so full of holes that the costs of running in it, and the damages from failing to repair leaks, are going to eat any initial saving compared to issuing lower end iPhones. To do even better, use say second-hand refurb iPhones. Entire family except me (Sony phone that was free to me (given to us as an insurer replacement unit for one of the kids' earlier phones) so keep it running) here runs on those -- children have had theirs for some years now, and they're still pristine. Apple still ships updates to them.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mansaxel wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:24 am
Specmaster wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:00 am The same thing might apply here with our military, I'm not sure but it is most certainly Android appears to be the phone of choice by companies.
The companies issuing Android phones and running business critical software on them (a web browser is critical, as is email.) and not fencing them in, extremely so, are simply tipping the scales heavily towards short-time cost cutting measures that are going to hurt them in the long run. The Android ecosystem is so full of holes that the costs of running in it, and the damages from failing to repair leaks, are going to eat any initial saving compared to issuing lower end iPhones. To do even better, use say second-hand refurb iPhones. Entire family except me (Sony phone that was free to me (given to us as an insurer replacement unit for one of the kids' earlier phones) so keep it running) here runs on those -- children have had theirs for some years now, and they're still pristine. Apple still ships updates to them.
Personally, I think that a far greater risk to companies, regardless of what mobile platform they use, is that risk that comes from hackers, hacking into another companies network and exposing their passwords. I regularly get emails from companies who have been hacked, that my details may have been leaked, usually followed by a warning from Google that my password may be compromised at xyz company and recommending that I should change my password there and anywhere else that I may have used the same password. :evil:
Who let Murphy in?

mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

Specmaster wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:48 am
Personally, I think that a far greater risk to companies, regardless of what mobile platform they use, is that risk that comes from hackers, hacking into another companies network and exposing their passwords.
And how do you think they get in? Not uncommonly by means of jumping through the on-call tech and his Special Android with Special Access.

It is a shitshow. From start to end.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hacking the wetware is always easier. Android just makes that tons easier than rubber-hose-decryption. :rofl:

mnem
"say what now? No, you had it right the first time... you've been rooted. Your smartPwn was just the tool used to do it."
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Not quite the right heading, but it does follow on from the discussion re Android / Apple security.

It seems that the UK gubbermint is debating bringing in new laws to make Apple disable its encryption service in the UK which will then make it no better then Android in the security stakes.

According to the BBC news site, it will affect the iMessage and face time services. Apple say if the UK make it a law that they will withdraw the service from the UK. I'm not sure they mean just the imessage and face time services or withdraw from the UK market all together as they also allegedly said will not stand for a different set of rules and products for the UK and the rest of the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyRrEgJ1wrU
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Well they won't be able to make the end to end guarantee anywhere if they compromise the product to support the UK so that's the only option.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Assuming the gubbermint push the law through, forcing Apple to withdraw from the UK market, then what would be the business phone of choice then?
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Well this isn't just about iMessage and FaceTime. WhatsApp will pull out and Telegram and Signal will be illegal.

Feind Hört Mit!
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Wikipedia says it will pull out, on the principle it won't want to "collect" information for age verification requirements.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... quirements

The proposed Online Safety Bill is a mess; unsurprising since it is trying to legislate a tricky area.