HP 5334B Options H05, 010, & 030: Only 99 Dollah!

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

So, some of you may have seen my post in the eBay TaT thread when I bought this; well, it's here, and it is sooo much better than listed!

Here are the seller pics; as you can see, it appears these had outside bits stripped as if they were originally rack-mount. Still; I felt that if it came as advertised... working, with HPIB, OXCO and 1.3GHz Channel C... that is was still a more than fair deal. I got lucky; seller wanted to break the ice, so accepted my maiden offer of $93, making it a few pence shy of $99 delivered. Yummeh!

Image Image Image Image

Welp, this afternoon, a enigmatic brown box was waiting by the front door after I picked my son up from school. I scampered inside with it, and quickly posted this picture to the thread... then left the guys to wonder while I went and made myself some lunch. :smiling_imp:

What followed amounted to almost a hour of striptease just for the sheer helluvit. :lol:

Hmmm... oodles of bubba-wrap and tape. good sign... even tho there's a fair gap now, when it was closed I couldn't feel any shifting. :thumbsup:

Well it may not be foam in place packaging like All-Test was fond of, but Bubba sure did not spare the tape on his Bubba-wrap gawddammit!!! 🤣

Oooh! ooooh! ooooh! I see a foot! These were aspoda be stripped; like if they were pulled from a rack-mount! Lucky!!!

Speaking of lucky... I see two HP feet and another handle on the other side... that's three more and two more than it was supposed to have! 😝

TBC...

mnem
GAS-y...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mnementh on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Howinnahell do I delete this?
Last edited by mnementh on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Howinnahell do I delete this?
Last edited by mnementh on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ta-DAHHHH!!!

No, wait...

Image Image Image

Now... Ta-DAHHHH!!!

tautechrob — Today at 3:00 PM
Fuck, send it back, it only counts to 8 ! 🤣

fuuuuuck...

*checks again... EXT OSC switch in right position (I did check before I powered up, just like Voltage Select)*

*flips toggle back and forth 20 or so times*

BU508A — Today at 3:04 PM
do it fast enough and you'll get 10MHz 😄

mnementh — Today at 3:05 PM
🤣 also 🖕

Image Image

aaand 3rd time's the charm...?

Yissss!!!

Auto-trig works well enuf to hit on ambient noise! :thumbsup:

Ohhhh, futch. Course there hadda be a gotcha; the peg for the power button is broke right off almost flush. If I don't have something appropriate in my junk drawer, I may have to make a bespoke button for that stub. 🤔 bd139 says it's a standard switch, so I may have something.

TBC...

mnem
*counter-intuitive*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mnementh on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Here's a few nekkid pics of the insides for all you pervs! :rofl:

First peek inside; wow, this thing is clean...

Closeup of the OXCO and all those nasty RIFAs just waiting... waiting...waiting...

...and here's the back of Channel C: looks like the prescaler goodies are integrated on this one, but the BNC is not PCB mount on the MB like some versions.

huh... that's... unexpected. 🤔 It's a left-handed guzinta!!! 😝

As you can see, this one was definitely much nicer than advertised; I guess being first to buy I got pick of the litter. That said... with the features, and looking at the insides of this one, I still think it would've been a good deal if it had had arrived missing those bits as seen in the listing!

I'm totally stoked! And yes, I do intend to replace those nasty little stinkbombs, I promise!

A'aight... that's pretty much it. I hope you all enjoyed the stripshow! 🤣

mnem
*down for the count*
Last edited by mnementh on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubdriver

Re: HP 5334B Options 010 & 030 Only 99 Dollah!

Post by Cubdriver »

Verrah nice! Good score - congrats!

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

There are several more in that listing; details are in the eBay Tat thread. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

I saw that, but at this point I'm afraid to count my counters. Seriously.

-Pat

<edit to add 'point' I need to proofread! Sheesh.>
Last edited by Cubdriver on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Cubdriver wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:39 am I saw that, but at this I'm afraid to count my counters. Seriously.

-Pat
Time (again) for some adapted lyrics:

Heartaches by the counters
Troubles by the score
Every day, I count them all
Each day I love them more

Reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmRjgWW8yn0
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

Cubdriver wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:39 am I saw that, but at this I'm afraid to count my counters. Seriously.

-Pat
"N wonderful counters-----Hahahahaha!"
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

i dub thee "seven segment freak".

but you did screw up by acquiring one with option 10 &30 installed. (now you will never know the joy of retrofitting these options)

any idea what option h05 is? on an "a" version 05 was a built in dvm & channel c. (have never seen one actually configured that way)

maybe h05 on a "b" meant it shipped with only 3 feet? or maybe a special power switch that discouraged casual button pushers?

seriously......nice catch.
free range primate since 2011
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I have a weak spot for counters myself. This one brings out the dishonourable, envious side of my nature.

Those little buttons are a damned irritating nuisance. The instrument can be perfectly functional without them, but it doesn't seem right to be poking with an adjustment tool to turn it on and off. You'd imagine you ought to be able to buy them, or a reasonable substitute, for next to nothing, but I haven't found a source. I suppose that's where parts mules come in, but for some things parts mules aren't easy to find. Anyway, I often find there's so little wrong with the parts mule, it seems a shame to rob it of its parts, so I'm looking for another parts mule.

A nice bag and for $99.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

-Pat
universal.jpg
You only need one more. The 5334B is a Universal Counter; it can count everything in the universe! :rofl:

mnem
Now I have this, I need a Universal Remote Control too. :smiling_imp:
Last edited by mnementh on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Zenith wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:53 pm
but it doesn't seem right to be poking with an adjustment tool to turn it on and off
If you don't like an adjustment tool, use a short length of wooden dowel.

In the late 70s I added a remote control to my TV. It was a 6ft long piece of quadrant beading/moulding left over from building a bookcase. Obviously it was easy to change the channels, but with care and a flick of the wrist the volume slider potentiometer was also controllable.

That TV has long gone, but that beading is still under my kitchen :)
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

nixiefreqq wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:18 pm i dub thee "seven segment freak".

but you did screw up by acquiring one with option 10 &30 installed. (now you will never know the joy of retrofitting these options)

any idea what option h05 is? on an "a" version 05 was a built in dvm & channel c. (have never seen one actually configured that way)

maybe h05 on a "b" meant it shipped with only 3 feet? or maybe a special power switch that discouraged casual button pushers?

seriously......nice catch.
Thanks! There are more where it came from; I'm pleased I got pick of the litter! :mrgreen:

Looking at the unit, I think H05 means the two most popular options (OXCO and 1.3Ghz Channel C) from the factory.

In this case, it appears the mainboard is designed with everything except the actual OXCO module itself integrated; no daughterboards. I've seen other versions where the Channel C BNC is a card-edge version soldered direct to the mainboard and the BNC is in line with all the others on the front panel; I think those are later versions of this same model.

mnem
*tinker-ily*
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Zenith wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:53 pm I have a weak spot for counters myself. This one brings out the dishonourable, envious side of my nature.

Those little buttons are a damned irritating nuisance. The instrument can be perfectly functional without them, but it doesn't seem right to be poking with an adjustment tool to turn it on and off. You'd imagine you ought to be able to buy them, or a reasonable substitute, for next to nothing, but I haven't found a source. I suppose that's where parts mules come in, but for some things parts mules aren't easy to find. Anyway, I often find there's so little wrong with the parts mule, it seems a shame to rob it of its parts, so I'm looking for another parts mule.

A nice bag and for $99.

I'm already designing a 3DP replacement; I had to make some buttons for my 8111A I got at the VRCM Swap Meet a couple years ago. I'll just tweak it a bit so the bottom goes around the flat base at the broken off stud. I may try printing in TPU rubber so it "snaps on"...

mnem
next comes Bench Tetris to make room for it under the 8111A and 3478A... :shock:
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

figured out what the H05 option is.

according to this clip from a NAVAIR document the H05 option gives you a fused bnc for the "c" input.

makes sense because you noted before that other versions have the bnc on the board.

the reference to GPETE confirms that your unit was to support some kind of navy air function because in swab jockey log speak "general purpose test equipment" is gpete. (the army uses tmde....test measurement & diagnostic equipment).

5334 h05.jpg

FTN
free range primate since 2011
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Sorry for the delay bringing the benchtime and after pics; it's been a pretty hectic week or so.

So first off, I needed to clean up these crusty BNCs. Wiping with towel and Q-tips moistened with IPA and Windex didn't touch it; so I had to resort to slightly harsher methods: brass wire brush. These connectors are nickel-plated, so as long as I used a real brass brush, no harm will come to them. Sadly, the usual cheap outlets have started carrying brass-tone steel brushes in their assortments, and as you might imagine, I have had some disastrous results with those. :roll:

Insides were not nearly as crusty, so those got scrubbed with a flattened cotton swap dipped in IPA to protect the PTFE insulator.

After that came time to remove the stubborn label ookum from around the the mil-spec fused BNC for CH C; this took a lot of gentle scrubbing and scraping work after soaking that end of the depopulated panel in detergent overnight at the suggestion of our own resident enginee-aardvark, Cerebus. ;) Without his kind advice on the pernicious chemistry involved in aging and some kinds of label adhesive, those visible scrapes would probably have been much worse;
I was pretty frustrated at this point and might have gotten medieval on its arse. :smiling_imp:

I'll just draw your attention to number 10 here... :D

As I had the front panel dismantled for this work and access to the borked power switch, I spent a while scrubbing the button tops and sides with IPA to get rid of whatever had been splattered across the middle of the panel. It was time consuming, but well worth it. And I got to spend some quality time with those delicious buckling-spring switches.

That said; the panel certainly did clean up nicely; and pre-assembly testing showed the buttons were all quite functional. (Thank Ifni!) :thumbsup:

After that, I turned my attention to the borked power switch. As I mentioned earlier, the shaft of the switch was snapped off almost flush; I considered sourcing a new switch, but decided first to try my hand at printing something.

I had an existing model I'd worked up for some buttons on my 8111A a couple years ago; I started with this and modified a copy of that model to what you see on the right.

First iteration fit perfectly, and actually snapped on almost tight. It was close enough that I decided to try a little epoxy abuse rather than fettle with it any more. I do believe that was the better choice. And no, just like the knobs on my 54600, the buttons are not at all purple IRL. It's just my old Canon G10 seems to do that in with this semi-translucent filament against that grey-eige background. :man_shrugging:

A nice high-res glam shot on the bench before I engage in the Bench TETRIS necessary to put it into service; shown here last triggered on some random noise in the shop.

Here it is in its new home, happily counting a very approximately 10MHz signal from my 8111A... :yum:

I now have what I think I can safely call an [ hp ] corner. ;)

Cheers, and I hope you enjoyed this little photo junket!

mnem
This is TEA way...
Specmaster

Re: HP 5334B Options H05, 010, & 030: Only 99 Dollah!

Post by Specmaster »

Nice job, that really came out nice in the end, miles away from where it was when you got it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yes, and I think this is the morning I'll brave the RIFAs and put it to use in anger; I wanna breadboard one of those CTi 10MHz OXCOs.

I notice another one has sold... was it anyone in here?

mnem
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Here it is, doing exactly what I got it to do. This is pretty much the absolute bottom of that CTi OXCO's adjustment range, which should be more than enough for my friend's watch calibrator.

A quick look at the raw signal coming out of the OXCO module; not bad. It's even squarer into a 50Ω load.

This is my dev board: LM1117-5 for the main power, with separate LM1117-3 for the adjustment voltage; to ensure stability, and to prevent me accidentally exceeding the 4V max on that Vadj pin.

Cheers!

mnem
I know, I know... next I need to start thinking GPSDO... :?
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

A very nice job.
mnementh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:09 am
I know, I know... next I need to start thinking GPSDO... :?
Well yes. I was reading it through and wondering where the bit was where you set it up against the GPSDO.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

So far, I am more than happy to trust this counter as my "frequency reference". Probably closer than anything else I have by at least an order of magnitude.

I don't need to calibrate the OXCO I'm tinkering with... I just need to see that it actually does adjust, and that the minimum adjusted frequency actually is somewhere near low enough for my friend's application. Then he will adjust it to his satisfaction.

Cheers!

mnem
does that count?
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

mnementh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:29 pm So far, I am more than happy to trust this counter as my "frequency reference". Probably closer than anything else I have by at least an order of magnitude.
Which is good and all, but it is not just right! I have a few counters (like, many) and they're all a bit temperamental left to their own devices. When hung on the 10MHz from the Meinberg GPSDO, they line up straighter than a Marine honour guard. The cheap kits should be quite OK, too.

At work, I'm doing my fair share of actual time nuttery. We've got a central setup with a pair of Meinberg H3000 modular GNSS disciplined clocks, in a failover pair, and then on various places, smaller Meinbergs. They all drive legacy broadcast video sync generators, and they generate PTP time over the network. Given the right hardware, and a lot of legwork, we can lock two clocks into fractions of a µs over long distances. Which is a requirement we actually have.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

mansaxel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:37 am Given the right hardware, and a lot of legwork, we can lock two clocks into fractions of a µs over long distances. Which is a requirement we actually have.
Locking clocks like that I can understand.

But what might it mean w.r.t. agreeing the time? (.... refers to Leslie Lamport's partial ordering)