Bench Turd

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
MED6753

Bench Turd

Post by MED6753 »

This turd landed on my bench. Yamaha A/V receiver. Blondie's oldest son who dumped water into it. Completely dead. No power. I told him I'd look at but no promises. I have found so far that the standby PSU is OK. But the balance of the PSU's won't come up. Figuring out what's what on these computer controlled receivers is a nightmare. Luckily I did find the service manual for download but it's still a daunting task.

The water fell on the power amp and main supply on that lower board. Luckily it missed the upper logic board or else I would have refused any attempt at a repair. But as I stated above I'm not gonna kill myself trying to get it working. And at the very least I have to pull both boards and clean the power amp area with IPA. Welcome to my nightmare. :shock:

An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:

Tags:
Zenith

Re: Bench Turd

Post by Zenith »

I found one put out for recycling a couple of years back, a Pioneer VSX-324. There was no remote control with it. I took it home and opened it up out of curiosity. I found a manual online but as I'm not into TV, I couldn't get excited over it. There were a few useful bits and pieces.

I looked them up on ebay. It seems as if you can get a used one of that sort, or similar, for £40. I couldn't generate much enthusiasm to look into it further.

It's always worth having a look at these things, because a lot of faults with electronics are basic, such as blown fuses, or loose connections, or bad switches. But there's only so much (not very much) it makes sense to do.
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

And bad crapacitors, which is right up MED's street.

I've just swapped out a Harmon Kardon 5.1 amp for an Onkyo 7.1, which I bought as parts only on ebay for buttons. Turns out it works fine... so I'm playing with a Philips PM2503 on the bench of doom instead
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
bd139

Post by bd139 »

This is why I try and find women with no kids :lol:
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

This "kid" will be turning 50 later this month. :roll: He's probably older than you. :mrgreen:
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 pm This "kid" will be turning 50 later this month. :roll: He's probably older than you. :mrgreen:
For my part, those quotes could be removed, just :(
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

tggzzz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:26 pm
MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 pm This "kid" will be turning 50 later this month. :roll: He's probably older than you. :mrgreen:
For my part, those quotes could be removed, just :(
Admit it, you think policemen look young, and you have for some time.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

With the aid of the Service Manual the receiver was in "Protect Mode" and gave instructions to bypass it, with appropriate warnings that additional damage might occur. I went for it and amazingly it powered up with no magic smoke. All functions on the display appear to work. The big test obviously are the analog and power amps OK. Quick test with a scope confirmed analog signal on all 7 channels. Connected speakers after checking for DCV on the outputs and the damn thing is working! :shock: Perhaps this thing isn't a turd after all. The protect circuitry did it's job and shut it down before any damage could occur. I guess I could agree that Yamaha stuff is pretty decent.

Informed the kid and he's obviously happy. The only thing I want to do is clean up the power amp board as best as possible without ripping it apart.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I like success stories, and now you are not some weird old guy with a lot of obscure junk, you are an undeniable HERO, who has saved a useful number of dollars. You can find there are cascading faults in these things.

I do believe that modern electronics are not really intended to be maintained, despite the fact that the more reputable makers produce service manuals, so kudos to you for fixing it.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Zenith wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm I like success stories, and now you are not some weird old guy with a lot of obscure junk, you are an undeniable HERO, who has saved a useful number of dollars. You can find there are cascading faults in these things.

I do believe that modern electronics are not really intended to be maintained, despite the fact that the more reputable makers produce service manuals, so kudos to you for fixing it.
Oh but I am that weird old guy with lots of obscure junk. :D TE Closet. And that's only the left side. Right side is just as crowded. And in the downstairs storage area there are multiple totes of circuit boards/parts/etc, multiple stripped 500 and 7000 series plug-in's, and at least 8 battered scope chassis.

And I'm no hero. The electron gods smiled on me, for once.

Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

:shock: Looks like that shelf could do with some bracing! Glad to hear the receiver recovered!

-Pat
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

This is why I use 3/4" (19mm) ply for my shelving...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:03 pm
I've been a hero on several occasions, once by fixing a trail camera that was about to be thrown away. It had corroded battery contacts. Lap it up while it's on offer, but don't believe it yourself.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

AVGresponding wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:26 am This is why I use 3/4" (19mm) ply for my shelving...
Damp MDF is the preferred building material in modern times.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

bd139 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:11 am
AVGresponding wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:26 am This is why I use 3/4" (19mm) ply for my shelving...
I'd hesitate to use plywood. I've noticed it's very prone to woodworm.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Zenith wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 am
MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:03 pm
I've been a hero on several occasions, once by fixing a trail camera that was about to be thrown away. It had corroded battery contacts. Lap it up while it's on offer, but don't believe it yourself.
Wise words :)
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:11 am
3cm thick Ikea wood is veneered cardboard. I like the "... what any fool can do for $10" attitude.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

When there's no alternative, I have been known to screw a couple of battens underneath a shelf like that.

But for that shelf and weight, I'd probably want to screw a couple of metal L/U-channels underneath
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Dexion is pretty good for anything like that, apart from the fact it's expensive. I got mine out of a skip when the local shop was redoing its stock room.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

That shelving was like that when I moved in last year and we had a discussion about it.

viewtopic.php?p=3485#p3485
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

tggzzz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:01 am
When there's no alternative, I have been known to screw a couple of battens underneath a shelf like that.

But for that shelf and weight, I'd probably want to screw a couple of metal L/U-channels underneath
I use Unistrut for the vertical elements, and basket hangers to put the shelves on. The capacity is considerable.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Zenith wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:27 am I'd hesitate to use plywood. I've noticed it's very prone to woodworm.
Hearing this for the first time. Any interesting stories you could share with us?
:D
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm With the aid of the Service Manual the receiver was in "Protect Mode" and gave instructions to bypass it, with appropriate warnings that additional damage might occur. I went for it and amazingly it powered up with no magic smoke. All functions on the display appear to work. The big test obviously are the analog and power amps OK. Quick test with a scope confirmed analog signal on all 7 channels. Connected speakers after checking for DCV on the outputs and the damn thing is working! :shock: Perhaps this thing isn't a turd after all. The protect circuitry did it's job and shut it down before any damage could occur. I guess I could agree that Yamaha stuff is pretty decent.

Informed the kid and he's obviously happy. The only thing I want to do is clean up the power amp board as best as possible without ripping it apart.
I'm a bit confused. Have you circumvented the "Protected Mode" for the troubleshooting or have you resetted it, so that it will do its job in case of a next (water spilling) incident?
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

BU508A wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am
Zenith wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:27 am I'd hesitate to use plywood. I've noticed it's very prone to woodworm.
Hearing this for the first time. Any interesting stories you could share with us?
:D
Nothing particularly interesting, but observations I've made over the years. My parents had a wardrobe with plywood feet, which were so riddled with woodworm they fell apart. The rest of the wardrobe was untouched. A board to which an electricity meter was attached, falling apart with woodworm, with nothing else in the house affected. Several other instances of plywood being infested with woodworm, to an extent I've not seen with other woods.

Generally, I've noticed that woodworm have a great liking for plywood, so much so that I think twice before using it.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

BU508A wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 am
MED6753 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm With the aid of the Service Manual the receiver was in "Protect Mode" and gave instructions to bypass it, with appropriate warnings that additional damage might occur. I went for it and amazingly it powered up with no magic smoke. All functions on the display appear to work. The big test obviously are the analog and power amps OK. Quick test with a scope confirmed analog signal on all 7 channels. Connected speakers after checking for DCV on the outputs and the damn thing is working! :shock: Perhaps this thing isn't a turd after all. The protect circuitry did it's job and shut it down before any damage could occur. I guess I could agree that Yamaha stuff is pretty decent.

I'm a bit confused. Have you circumvented the "Protected Mode" for the troubleshooting or have you resetted it, so that it will do its job in case of a next (water spilling) incident?
It was circumvented for troubleshooting and after I determined that it powered up OK I reset it. It continued to function normally. It was a lucky day for both of us.