Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Specmaster

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by Specmaster »

AVGresponding wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 pm @Specmaster didn't you work at Crabtree for a while?
You Sir are correct, why do you ask?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

Specmaster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:49 pm
AVGresponding wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 pm @Specmaster didn't you work at Crabtree for a while?
This guy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... msg4621405

Just wondered if you'd ever heard of such a test rig
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

1-The Pile.JPG
So... postal carrier dropped off a goodie box from Mounty Kringle last night... I must admit, I am completely overwhelmed and humbled by this display of generosity.

I just wanted a taste of the fruit-in-rum preserves... he sent enough to get the whole family drunk, and I'm literally the only one of us who drinks anything alcoholic at all. 🤣

2-The Boi Gets a Taste.JPG
The Basler Brunsli (chocolate spice cookies; cinnamon & clove :thumbsup:) were the first we tried, and as you can see, my son was quite excited about all the hand-crafted goodies.

4-Cookies & Cider YUMMM.JPG
He had to try the Lebkuchen, so I split one with him; accompanied by a local discovery, this absolutely sublime honeycrisp apple cider.

3-The Cookie Tin.JPG
We got as far as the espresso balls, a long-standing favorite (gram-mummaw made a very similar thing) before I had to stop because my teeth were aching from all the sweet... the zebra biscuits made me pucker, so tart... but still just sweet enough to not be bitter.

5-Harvest Dwagon for my Collection.JPG
Such a very thoughtful gift, my friend. And yes, I noticed the personal touches. That harvest dragon will get scanned and we will see him again. 😉

Thank you so very much.

And I haven't yet dared to try the candied fruit-in-rum... That will need to be a bedtime treat. With some Haagen-Dasz Rum raisin ice cream. I was cooking and a stove covered with boiling pots, etc seemed a very bad time/place to get drunk. 😝

Cheers, and thank you again. And be assured, you've definitely helped make this a very memorable Christmas.

mnem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mnementh on Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnementh

Post a Picture of a Cat:

Post by mnementh »

mnem
I have a lot of Karma to burn off. :smiling_imp:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:58 pm 1-The Pile.JPG

So... postal carrier dropped off a goodie box from Mounty Kringle last night... I must admit, I am completely overwhelmed and humbled by this display of generosity.

I just wanted a taste of the fruit-in-rum preserves... he sent enough to get the whole family drunk, and I'm literally the only one of us who drinks anything alcoholic at all. 🤣

2-The Boi Gets a Taste.JPG

The Basler Brunsli (chocolate spice cookies; cinnamon & clove :thumbsup:) were the first we tried, and as you can see, my son was quite excited about all the hand-crafted goodies.

4-Cookies & Cider YUMMM.JPG

He had to try the Lebkuchen, so I split one with him; accompanied by a local discovery, this absolutely sublime honeycrisp apple cider.

3-The Cookie Tin.JPG

We got as far as the espresso balls, a long-standing favorite (gram-mummaw made a very similar thing) before I had to stop because my teeth were aching from all the sweet... the zebra biscuits made me pucker, so tart... but still just sweet enough to not be bitter.

5-Harvest Dwagon for my Collection.JPG

Such a very thoughtful gift, my friend. And yes, I noticed the personal touches. That harvest dragon will get scanned and we will see him again. 😉

Thank you so very much.

And I haven't yet dared to try the candied fruit-in-rum... That will need to be a bedtime treat. With some Haagen-Dasz Rum raisin ice cream. I was cooking and a stove covered with boiling pots, etc seemed a very bad time/place to get drunk. 😝

Cheers, and thank you again. And be assured, you've definitely helped make this a very memorable Christmas.

Yes, Mounty is a highly accomplished baker / confectioner, bd and myself havre previously enjoyed his wonderful creations, all made with the finest ingredients and great passion.🧁🎂
Robert

Post by Robert »

Quick game of "spot the difference"
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-CELL-Digital ... 4495754439?
and
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255918041132?

The seller has done the same thing with items from RAMCO using their pictures and listing the item before they could possibly have received them.
Bit cheeky but I guess their profit margin is enouth to cover the odd return.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Robert wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:35 pm Quick game of "spot the difference"
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-CELL-Digital ... 4495754439?
and
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255918041132?

The seller has done the same thing with items from RAMCO using their pictures and listing the item before they could possibly have received them.
Bit cheeky but I guess their profit margin is enouth to cover the odd return.
Nothing illegal but highly immoral but as you rightly said cheeky, 12 times the price he paid is is also a bit salty.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
Robert

Post by Robert »

Nothing wrong with making a big profit, I do that when I can :evil: But I at least wait until I've received the item and tested it before advertising it and I don't use other peoples photos (whiich may be illegal)
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Robert wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:33 am Nothing wrong with making a big profit, I do that when I can :evil: But I at least wait until I've received the item and tested it before advertising it and I don't use other peoples photos (whiich may be illegal)
True, but 12 times is bit on steep side, and of course, knowing Ramco, if they thought for a single second it was possible to get that kind of money, they would have done. Truth be told it has more than likely been sitting on their racking for years and they have not had anyone interested in renting so they decided to get rid quickly, it is a bit of a special item.
Who let Murphy in?

Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Specmaster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:49 pm
Yes I did work for Crabtree Electrical for over 15 years, and they would never dream of automating such tests, each and every RCD was subjected to a manual test during manufacture and then they would be manually adjusted if required and then retested. Then a percentage of made units would be taken to a special test lab for further test at different points in the performance parameters. If they passed those, the rest of the batch would be then be placed into the stock room. If any failed, the rest of production batch would be re tested again.

If you think about, they also a mechanical device and as such, the operation needs for it to tested again once installed in the place where it is required to operate. Any mechanical device is subject to mechanical failure during transportation and so requires testing once installed.
Who let Murphy in?

tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:41 am
Robert wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:33 am Nothing wrong with making a big profit, I do that when I can :evil: But I at least wait until I've received the item and tested it before advertising it and I don't use other peoples photos (whiich may be illegal)
True, but 12 times is bit on steep side, and of course, knowing Ramco, if they thought for a single second it was possible to get that kind of money, they would have done. Truth be told it has more than likely been sitting on their racking for years and they have not had anyone interested in renting so they decided to get rid quickly, it is a bit of a special item.
That factor, selling without testing it, using other people's photos are all salty.

I doubt Ramco had it sitting on their racks for years; PPAuctions can be too many months.

I expect it was sitting on the owner's racks for years. We have little idea of the conditions, could be an air-conditioned lab, an unheated warehouse, or anything in between.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

OLYMPUS CELL LAS/561/50 DIGITAL LASER SYSTEM.

This powers on fine as we do not have the correct facilities to test further.

NO KEY

How, exactly, did any of these trained apes without the training test to "Power On" without keys? Image

mnem
shenanigans!
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:04 pm

NO KEY

How, exactly, did any of these trained apes without the training test to "Power On" without keys? Image

mnem
shenanigans!
Yes that is rather interesting, perhaps, they only plugged the power lead in, to see if it blew a fuse, or could it be that the key is only required to switch the laser on?
Who let Murphy in?

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Well it is ebay and different scale of reality applies.

"Seller refurbished". How did they manage to refurbish an SSD?

"Untested". Tested in our extensively equipped lab and shown to be utterly beyond repair.

"Powers on but do not have knowledge or equipment to test further". A variation of "Untested".

"Powers on but do not have cables to test further". We already sold the cables in a previous lot.

"Opened but never used". An awful lot of stuff seems to be opened but never used.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Zenith wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:54 pm"...Opened but never used". A lot of awful stuff seems to be opened but never used.
FTFY. :rofl:

mnem
*toddles off to get the chiddlers*
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Well yes, some of it's comical - people trying to sell things for prices ludicrously more than they are worth - and some of it's people selling things that might be of value, but they obviously know nothing about. And of course there are shysters, some obvious, some not so obvious.

A time back I saw a Testec TF412 350MHz scope probe offered for £20 "opened never used". I had doubts. A couple of days later it was offered for £15 (£17 with shipping) so I bit. It appears to be a genuine Testec TF412 probe with all its little extras. This could be yours for just short of £90 from their UK agent. Testec are a respectable independent probe maker.

But it's not called Fleabay, Thieves' Bay and The Bay of Evil for nothing. Just be careful and employ critical thinking.
Robert

Post by Robert »

mnementh wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:04 pm

NO KEY

mnem
shenanigans!
As they have listed a second one I asked the seller, nicely, to confirm that it came with the key, seeing as they had tested it... I've had no response.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ahhh.... empirical proof FTW. :rofl:

mnem
dbmm1.jpg
"Design by monkeys. Malicious monkeys." ~Cerebus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

Yes it's 2023.

Yes I'm sitting in a Tim Hortons using an HP 35 to crunch the numbers on what's the best deal for reloading my car wash card.

Unfortunately, this is about as close to test equipment as I've been in a number of weeks between a heavy work schedule over the holidays and coming down with a nasty infection that I'm fighting off with the help of some antibiotics. It's been one thing after another since November. Some day, hopefully soon, back to using the big test equipment for real projects.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

So far neither us has had a brilliant start to 2023, let’s hope and prayer that things return to normal really quick, I have barely seen my bench since the week before Christmas🥺😷🤒
Who let Murphy in?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Oh, I've seen my bench lots... but aside from the very disappointing new CReality CR-10 Smart 3D Printer, it's all been fixing Xmas lights and "Honey-do" items. Right now I'm headed down there with a new battery for the Lenovo Flex 3 project; pray for me...

mnem
current mood: juicy
Robert

Post by Robert »

Bought something at the last Ramco auction. Not TE, a 19" rack mount radio receiver. Yet again poor packing by Ramco and poor handing by Parcel Force resulted in a bent side frame and bowed front panel.
Fortunatly it works and chassis is "bolt together" folded light alloy sheet so I can probably straighten it out on my arbour press.

Robert.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Robert wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:40 pm Bought something at the last Ramco auction. Not TE, a 19" rack mount radio receiver. Yet again poor packing by Ramco and poor handing by Parcel Force resulted in a bent side frame and bowed front panel.
One thing sent to me by Ramco a few years ago (pre-covid) had a bent carrying handle for similar reasons. It worked, I bent it back, Ramco wasn't helpful but I didn't push it.

Let us know if Ramco are more helpful now.

I would certainly think twice before having something fragile sent to me, e.g. a scope too small to be on a pallet.
Zucca

Post by Zucca »

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca
Zucca

Post by Zucca »

Can you travel with discharged super capacitor in checked luggage on airplane?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/(dis ... -airplane/

anyone knows if it is possible or not? Rob, with you immense know how on aviation and electronics, can you maybe drop me a line?

Many many thanks!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca