Sony/Tek 314 PSU Re-cap

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
MED6753

Sony/Tek 314 PSU Re-cap

Post by MED6753 »

When I did the restoration of the Sony/Tek 314 Scope I decided at that time to defer a PSU re-cap due to the complexity of removing the PSU. It encompasses 3 full pages of the manual to remove. Well the time has come. Capacitors ordered and have arrived. So next week I'll dive into it. I'm sure there will be blood. :lol:

An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:

Tags:
Specmaster

Re: Sony/Tek 314 PSU Re-cap

Post by Specmaster »

Nope, I have every confidence that you will beat the odds, as always you do 🎛
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Under the category of "You have got to be kidding me" in order to remove the PSU assembly (rear) these 2 boards and all their interconnects have to be pulled out. It's the only way to gain access to other interconnects and mounting screws. Verified via the manual. I'm not going there, unless sometime in the future I'm forced to due to a failure. I'd rather jackass a 75 pound boatanchor on the bench than deal with that crap. What a terrible design and I guess is the result of trying to stuff 5 pounds into a 2 pound bag. My advice, avoid these mini Sony/Tek scopes.

An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

"If at first you don't succeed, suck something else." ~mum ;)

mnem
"Fuck dat noizze." ~me
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to extract the Tek492 PSU for recapping.

The one after that is to replace the Tek1502's front panel brightness pot, which has 2kV across it, and can be operated in driving rain and stored under 300mm of water.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

My nutsack shriveled up just thinking aboot that. :rofl:

mnem
*tzzzt2*
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Here's an advert; the two pots under the CRT are focus and intensity, both 5Mohm around 2kV :

Internal view. The two pots are bottom left. You can't see the PTFE cable running from them to the PSU:

And the relevant bit of the schematic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Spec, can you take this one? My nutsack's aboot the size of a peanut already... :rofl:

mnem
Awwww, dendrites!!!
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Er...nope.., I'm still going to the hospital 2 times (should be 3 times but they don't have the capacity at the moment,) squeezing me in for the 2 a week having new dressings applied and a progress check. Hopefully, I shall be ready for the start of the compression phase when I go Tuesday.

So for a while at least, I'm not planning on putting my self in harms way, done a lifetime of that so far, now its got to be about time I took it easier and looked after number one a lot more :lol:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool