Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
tggzzz

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by tggzzz »

[
Removed, since it appears I somehow managed to quote my own post.

This now contains more new information than the removed post :(
]
Last edited by tggzzz on Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Certainly the security breaches IP cams may present are well worth looking into before buying one. Very often they are set up with a mobile phone and want the password to your router. Then they get in touch with several IP addresses in China, Google and others you may not want them to contact.

There are websites showing livestreams from hacked cameras.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

As far as security for IP CCTV cameras goes:

1) Use wired rather than wireless if you can. If have to go wireless put the cameras on their own SSID/VLAN, if your wifi access points don't support multiple isolated SSIDs/VLANs upgrade to one(s) that do.
2) Always, always, put cameras on their own dedicated VLAN or an isolated LAN of their own. Don't allow them Internet access and don't buy cameras that require internet access.
3) Put a firewall between them and the rest of your network and limit traffic to and from the cameras to what is only strictly necessary and nothing more.

All the above presupposes that you have networking kit that is up to the task of isolating/firewalling a subnet and that you're competent to use it to do that. If you don't have the hardware capabilities or expertise I'd suggest that you'd be better off with old fashioned analogue cameras and a dedicated CCTV PVR to wire them back to.

IP CCTV cameras are a potential security nightmare if not handled with due diligence and a proper understanding of how to mitigate the risks.
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

am about to pull the trigger on an ebay item.

do i need it? no.

will i use it? not much.

why is it even on my radar? because i am 97% sure cubdriver does not have one.

that is a little crazy.....isn't it?

O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
the meat it feeds on
Othello (3.3)
free range primate since 2011
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

nixiefreqq wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:58 pm am about to pull the trigger on an ebay item.

do i need it? no.

will i use it? not much.

the meat it feeds on
Othello (3.3)
Don't make me go looking on the Bay of Evil! :P :P :P

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

nixiefreqq wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:58 pm am about to pull the trigger on an ebay item.

do i need it? no.

will i use it? not much.

the meat it feeds on
Othello (3.3)
Honestlly, I cannot think of a better reason to buy a piece of kit... :smiling_imp:

mnem
Pithy will cost you tuppence extra this morning.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Cerebus wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:26 pm As far as security for IP CCTV cameras goes:

1) Use wired rather than wireless if you can. If have to go wireless put the cameras on their own SSID/VLAN, if your wifi access points don't support multiple isolated SSIDs/VLANs upgrade to one(s) that do.
2) Always, always, put cameras on their own dedicated VLAN or an isolated LAN of their own. Don't allow them Internet access and don't buy cameras that require internet access.
3) Put a firewall between them and the rest of your network and limit traffic to and from the cameras to what is only strictly necessary and nothing more.

All the above presupposes that you have networking kit that is up to the task of isolating/firewalling a subnet and that you're competent to use it to do that. If you don't have the hardware capabilities or expertise I'd suggest that you'd be better off with old fashioned analogue cameras and a dedicated CCTV PVR to wire them back to.

IP CCTV cameras are a potential security nightmare if not handled with due diligence and a proper understanding of how to mitigate the risks.
I personally wouldn't do IP unless I could set it all up on its own switch/router completely airgapped from the "real" network and some old laptop or PC as the "monitor". I mean, used SOHO networking gear is so cheap... and even if you do find it is compromised after the fact, who cares? It cannot get out to the intardnet.

The main reason to go IP is the convenience of using cabling already in place; this is one case where it just plain makes sense to keep it all isolated. Full stop.

mnem
"Oh, hey Charlie... howz it hanging? Oh right... a little low and to the left..." *snerk*
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Is there a problem with the forum's PM system? I sent a PM at 12:55 and it still shows up in my outbox, and checking in my sent folder, its not showing in there?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

How aboot now? I just read your PM. ;)

mnem
*currently arguing with a scale*
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Arh, that's it, I don't think I've ever seen that before on other forums, that's odd. ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

nixiefreqq wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 pm just got an urgent request from a buddy.

the karaoke machine at his favorite bar won't power up and he wants me to fix it.

seriously?
so i got the pos karaoke machine working.

probably a BIG mistake since now everyone who goes to that bar will try to talk me into fixing their crap.

where do i draw the line? coffee makers? microwave ovens? breast pumps?

ps that karaoke machine must have been assembled by children. it astonished me how they took what was probably a good design and cheapened it down to a barely working piece of shit full of embarrassing bodges. it was purchased new, but the transformer on the main switching ps board had been replaced with one that was clearly not correct (but close enough to work). trouble turned out to be an open in one of two 1n4007's on the controller board that were in series so that their forward drop took the +5v rail down to 3.3v. took me a while to noodle that one out. (a schematic would have been nice.....but "we don't need no stinkin' schematics")
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

I have returned from a great vacation, or holiday if you will, in Florida. Drive home was a total PITA due to hitting rush hour traffic in DC and Baltimore but eventually made it home.

Still in "vacation" mode and still don't give a shit. :lol:
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

MED6753 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:56 pm I have returned from a great vacation, or holiday if you will, in Florida. Drive home was a total PITA due to hitting rush hour traffic in DC and Baltimore but eventually made it home.

Still in "vacation" mode and still don't give a shit. :lol:
oh no! that time of day you cut west on 17 at fredericksburg to warrenton, then take 15 all the way to 81 near harrisburg.

slow and steady wins in the end.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

eBay-666.png
So I went to see if I could leverage my eBay account for cheaper shipping on a large box I have going out, and look what I just noticed...

mnem
Dumber than advertised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

nixiefreqq wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:42 pm
nixiefreqq wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 pm just got an urgent request from a buddy.

the karaoke machine at his favorite bar won't power up and he wants me to fix it.

seriously?
so i got the pos karaoke machine working.

probably a BIG mistake since now everyone who goes to that bar will try to talk me into fixing their crap.

where do i draw the line? coffee makers? microwave ovens? breast pumps?
I fix things for friends on the basis that whatever it is would otherwise be thrown away. Usually it's something simple, such as corroded battery contacts in a trail camera that stopped working, or bulging capacitors in the PSU of a DVD player. Sometimes it's interesting to find out what went wrong, and I have to explain why it can't be fixed, or can't be fixed safely, and they're better off buying a new one.

Most new items are not intended to be repaired. There's very little that can be done with modern cars without a ramp and basically full garage facilities.

Years ago, there were electronic repair businesses; TVs, radios, tape recorders etc. I doubt there are many left and for good reason. It would be hard to make a living fixing such things.

If the coffee maker or microwave is yours or belongs to friends or family, it's worth having a look. It could just be something obvious such as a contact which has worked loose, otherwise, refuse to get involved.
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

mnementh wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:50 pm eBay-666.png

So I went to see if I could leverage my eBay account for cheaper shipping on a large box I have going out, and look what I just noticed...

mnem
Dumber than advertised.
yep.....once swmbo was in the cvs and the total came to $6.66. had to make the lady ring up some tic tac's to get her to stop freaking out.
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

nixiefreqq wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:42 pm where do i draw the line? coffee makers? microwave ovens? breast pumps?
Remember you need to check that the repaired device works properly, for its intended purpose!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

AVGresponding wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:29 pm
nixiefreqq wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:42 pm where do i draw the line? coffee makers? microwave ovens? breast pumps?
Remember you need to check that the repaired device works properly, for its intended purpose!
Naaahhhh... that's a model best tested by substitution... with manual and possibly oral manipulation. :smiling_imp:

mnem
* *shotgun blast* * "And you keep yer pecker outta my milkin' machine!!!"
Robert

Post by Robert »

mnementh wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:50 pm eBay-666.png

mnem
Dumber than advertised.
Look what I found when searching for your listings
www.ebay.com/itm/204229182200?
mnementh.jpg
Not quite a dragon but pretty close
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

*snurrrrches with extreme prejudice*

mnem
mine now. :smiling_imp:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Oh, looks like it is a dragon... just the wings are small & gold or the cloisonne has flaked off. I think I recognize the artist' style... if I'm not mistaken, same person who did my little waving dwagon...

[EDIT]

Did a little research; it appears the pin is official swag from the Balloons Over Iowa aviators' club, and mnementh was a real balloon piloted by well-known balloonist Annie Laurie Jones/Points, ca 1985. Presumably it bore that ID pattern.

huh.

[/EDIT]

mnem
Robert

Post by Robert »

You are welcome :D
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

Some good news on the test equipment front:

I picked an HP 6205B power supply up on the way home from work tonight for $20.

I have another 6205B that's branded HP Harrison. It's in the pictures of the 427A testing I was working on. I still haven't had a chance to take any pictures of the other stuff I picked up recently.

Otherwise, it continues to be not so great. The vandalism streak apparently continued and several of the boards in the gate at the end of the neighbour's back yard gate got kicked in. I don't know what's happened to this neighbourhood, why it's gone downhill so fast. I took tomorrow off to take my cat to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. He's resting with me on the couch right now and trying to act normally but he doesn't have much energy. He suddenly barely eating and drinking and not using his litter boxes. He's been in them, I can see where he's pawed at the litter, but he's left nothing in them. Hopefully he'll be alright.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Nice score on the power supply, and I wish you well regarding the vet visit - sincerely hope it’s something minor and that your buddy is back in good health quickly. Shame they can’t tell us what ails them. Good thoughts inbound.

-Pat
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

25 CPS wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:32 am Some good news on the test equipment front:

I picked an HP 6205B power supply up on the way home from work tonight for $20.

I have another 6205B that's branded HP Harrison. It's in the pictures of the 427A testing I was working on. I still haven't had a chance to take any pictures of the other stuff I picked up recently.

Otherwise, it continues to be not so great. The vandalism streak apparently continued and several of the boards in the gate at the end of the neighbour's back yard gate got kicked in. I don't know what's happened to this neighbourhood, why it's gone downhill so fast. I took tomorrow off to take my cat to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. He's resting with me on the couch right now and trying to act normally but he doesn't have much energy. He suddenly barely eating and drinking and not using his litter boxes. He's been in them, I can see where he's pawed at the litter, but he's left nothing in them. Hopefully he'll be alright.
had the same symptoms with our duffy last year. was in the basement working on a wonky SA and noticed he was in and out of the litter box multiple times with no result.

turns out crystals in the urinary tract block the flow in male cats. very very bad.

if you get him into the vet quickly they can get a catheter in and then push lots fluids to flush him out.

duffy was good as ever in 3 days.