Links in new window?

Get help on using the forum or report forum problems.
mansaxel

Links in new window?

Post by mansaxel »

I am a heavy browser tab user. My main browser windows usually sits at about 60 tabs, and there are a few extra windows and other browsers around too.

I am accustomed to links being "new tab" or "new window", in many contexts, not the least our former home at EevBlog. And, frankly, I miss it here. Introduction about tab usage is mainly to establish the fact that I'm aware that there might be other ways to look at this, but IMNSHO, the single-threaded browsing is a thing of the past.

If possible, can we pretty please have "links open in new tab/window" as default or configurable option?

If this is possible per user, please where do I mend this to usable?
bd139

Re: Links in new window?

Post by bd139 »

cmd+click :)
bitseeker

Post by bitseeker »

I can check if that behavior might be user-configurable via extension. However, as bd noted, how links behave is normally within your control based on how you click them (unlike on websites that force them to always open in a new tab).

Cmd+click on macOS or Ctrl+click on Linux and Windows (and middle-click on three-button mice) will open any link in a new tab on most modern browsers. I generally use middle-click.
TEA is the way.
bitseeker

Post by bitseeker »

Side note: I could start TUA (Tab Users Anonymous) since my peak tabs open was once nearly 2000. I currently have 193 -- an order of magnitude improvement. 8-)

Back to the links question:

I found an abandoned extension that would provide a user-configurable option to open external links in a new window, which I presume would then open in a new tab if your browser was configured to do so. However, being abandoned, it's problematic to use and I saw where it had gone dormant in the past and resulted in no links in the forum working when there was a forum update that broke the extension.

Nevertheless, I'll keep my eyes open for a potential solution. Hopefully, the options described in the prior post are helpful in the meantime (and are not limited to a particular website).
TEA is the way.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

bitseeker wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:38 pm Side note: I could start TUA (Tab Users Anonymous) since my peak tabs open was once nearly 2000. I currently have 193 -- an order of magnitude improvement. 8-)
When you could do with a search engine just to navigate what you've got open on your screen is the time you need to think about getting some professional help. :)
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

bitseeker wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:38 pm Side note: I could start TUA (Tab Users Anonymous) since my peak tabs open was once nearly 2000. I currently have 193 -- an order of magnitude improvement. 8-)

Back to the links question:

I found an abandoned extension that would provide a user-configurable option to open external links in a new window, which I presume would then open in a new tab if your browser was configured to do so. However, being abandoned, it's problematic to use and I saw where it had gone dormant in the past and resulted in no links in the forum working when there was a forum update that broke the extension.

Nevertheless, I'll keep my eyes open for a potential solution. Hopefully, the options described in the prior post are helpful in the meantime (and are not limited to a particular website).
It is not worth messing with extensions. If there are some standards for getting code in the main project, those are all gone in the extensions... Thanks for looking, though.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

One of the early steps.would be to learn about depth-first searches. Another would be about tree-pruning :)
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Cerebus wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:29 pm
When you could do with a search engine just to navigate what you've got open on your screen is the time you need to think about getting some professional help. :)
Why not save them as bookmarks and then split up into directories, I have started doing this with mine and if necessary split them up again into sub folders?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
bd139

Post by bd139 »

It's a tribute to how reliable browsers have got that you can actually get to 2000 tabs open without them shatting one.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Now I feel much less guilty aboot poor FF having to wrangle my usual 80-150 open tabs. :rofl:

mnem
flight-of-the-navigator_childhood-adventure.jpg

Back on Phaelon, we discovered that your inferior species browser uses only ten percent of its brain, so we filled it all the way up with star charts tabs to see what would happen.

What happened?

It leaked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:16 am It's a tribute to how reliable browsers have got that you can actually get to 2000 tabs open without them shatting one.
Not for those pages that, to mangle a phrase are "full of icons and doodles, signifying nothing". One on this site failed to finish loading before my patience ran out, and the tab wouldn't even close.

No names, no pack drill, but you^h^h^h we know who you are.