Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
URI

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by URI »

bd139 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:48 am I experienced sugar glazed carrots once. Vile concoction. The fact they exist explains a lot.

I rather like them just sliced and steamed for 15 minutes or so aka "council carrots". Plenty of flavour!
..yes, pure but with a little bit of butter. :D
URI [Jay]
--
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.
URI

Post by URI »

After I was announced this:
20230323_screenshot_est_del-date_5370B.png
I got an email today announcing the delivery to me today! *WTF*
Shortly after that:
20230324_screenshot_sendung_zugestellt.png
Ok, much to my surprise there it is:
20230324_box_all.jpg
I won't complain, of course, but what a surprise! Most of the time it's vice versa. :lol:

But when I inspected the package from outside, my lucky feelings got immediately damped:
20230324_box_detail3.jpg
The package had obviously taken some hits.. :shock:
20230324_box_detail1.jpg
Ok, on to the unboxing. :D
On opening the cardboard package my eyes were catched by a massive styrofoam board.
20230324_box_padding1.jpg
..and a second one:
20230324_box_padding2.jpg
Not bad so far. But let's continue. After removing the second layer of styrofoam boards there was the 5370B Time Interval Counter, finally. But the amount of styrofoam board was a little bit spars on this layer. :(
20230324_box_padding3_finally.jpg
On the plus side: The seller had removed the handles and parts for rack mounting and put them in a bag next to the 5370B.
Still on the plus side: All the screws were still in the bag even though it was open. *facepalm*

The lack of styrofoam on both sides and the bit of styrofoam at the back of the device being too short led to a contact of the device with something hard, probably the floor:
20230324_5370B_casualties.jpg
!!#*?$! :rage:

After calming down and a first inspection removing the screw of the disintegrated foot it was clear, that
  1. the foot had self-sacrificingly taken all the hit and the housing/rest of the device was mechanically intact.
  2. I could repair both damaged parts with a hot-air gun and some glue, hopefully. If not successful, it doesn't really matter it's just cosmetics at the rear of the device.
Spoiler alert: The front panel is undamaged/intact, due to the styrofoam padding all over the front side. :D
20230324_box_padding3_frontpanel.jpg
To be continued..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
URI [Jay]
--
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Good: it arrived earlier than expected.
Congratulations to your new (old) TE :D
Congratulations to your successful move as well and welcome to the new mad house, built by bitseeker for us inhabitants. ;)

Packaging seems some kind of rocket science, I do not get it, really! :roll:

Anyway, I hope, you'll enjoy the new counter and from your previous posting I saw that you are
definitely are enjoying your new home¹. :)

¹looks like the northern part of Germany with lots of flat "Gegend" (too flat for my taste ;) I'm a Black Forest Landei )
URI

Post by URI »

..follow-up to the arrival of my hp 5370B

Not following the rule "don't turn it on -take it apart"TM I let the seal at the back untouched, saving the fun of breaking it for later:
20230324_5370B_seal.jpg
In fact, this seal was one reason to send the seller my offer -besides the higher serial # prefix.
20230324_5370B_warranty.jpg
The serial # prefix is 2732A but interestingly my unit includes some changes of the units with serial # prefix 2740A, so it's somehow in between. 8-)
In fact it must have been one of the last ones with serial # prefix 2732A because the highest serial # with this prefix is documented in the hp change notes as 2732A02000.
My unit must have been manufactured in the second half of 1987. The sticker denotes warranty was valid to December 17th, 1988.
It seems the warranty period was max. one year long.

Anyway. After setting the line voltage of my "new" 5370B to 230/240V and exchanging the 2,5A fuse with a 2A (no matching 1,25A at hand :D ) I pressed the mains power switch (with pliers because of the broken switch rod and therefore missing power button) and...
20230324_5370B_test.jpg
..it worked! I'm happy! :D

The front face is dirty and I don't understand why there are pen marks. I hope I can rid of them cleaning up the front in the future.
Also the preset-position switch of the level-potentiometers isn't ok on the stop side.
As my older 5370B has some parts in it that are in better shape I'll go for fixing both instruments but put all the best parts into the newer one -if I have the choice. But this must wait until my lab is finished (still missing a dry wall wall and a new floor) and my bench is set up again. :cry:

EOM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by URI on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URI [Jay]
--
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

I’ll never understand why proper packaging is such a completely unsolvable mystery to so many sellers!! It’s such a simple concept - immobilize whatever it is in the center of the carton using a material that has a bit of give, but not too much.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

-Pat
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Cubdriver wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:34 pm I’ll never understand why proper packaging is such a completely unsolvable mystery to so many sellers!! It’s such a simple concept - immobilize whatever it is in the center of the carton using a material that has a bit of give, but not too much.
It is about controlling and distributing forces.

Controlling: make sure the peak force during an impact isn't too high.
Distributing: make sure forces aren't concentrated onto fragile components.

So, start with "bumpers" between and around front panel knobs, plus across displays. Then put rigid panel across that lot. Any force on that rigid panel will be transmitted to the instrument frame, which ought to be safe.

Then add bubble wrap or similar around everything to act as a cushion. If it has a CRT then put a tight fitting cardboard box around the bubble wrap, to distribute forces across multiple bubbles. All of that tight so no internal sloshing around happens.

Put that box in a larger cardboard box, preferably >=2inch on all sides.

Use foam rubber or foam pipe insulation to suspend the inner box within the outer box. The 2inches of clearance allows the outer box to be punctured without the inner box being punctured. Pipe insulation keeps inner and outer box separate. If the package is dropped, the foam rubber reduces the peak forces on the inner box.

In extreme cases I might use energy absorbing foam (very expensive), or have an outer layer of Styrofoam that would absorb one impact by breaking.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

When ever I pack anything like test gear etc which I've sold on eBay, I also always aim for at least 2 inches in every direction for the packing materials which always consists first of some bubble wrap around the item, 2 layers in each direction followed by some form of bumper on the corners, right angle polystyrene or pipe lagging and the rest of the space filled to a good density of packing beads. The outer carton, I can if possible source a double walled cardboard box and for heavier items, tri-walled cartons and either parcel taped or for the really heavy items, gaffer taped.

To date, I have never had anything arrived damaged even when sending overseas and many buyers comment on the packing being good, and one person said it would stand up to a nuclear blast.

I have a simple motto, pack it in the fashion as I would want to receive it, it is simple to pack anything well, you don't need any skills just common sense.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm I have a simple motto, pack it in the fashion as I would want to receive it, it is simple to pack anything well, you don't need any skills just common sense.
Unfortunately "common sense isn't " is a useful rule of thumb in all situations :(

Most people don't have a clue how they would like to see something packed, partly because the haven't conceived of the reasons packaging can fail.
URI

Post by URI »

BU508A wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:15 pm [..]
Congratulations to your successful move as well and welcome to the new mad house, built by bitseeker for us inhabitants. ;)
Thanks! After all, I moved in two ways: physically (new house) and immaterially (teanonymous). :D
BU508A wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:15 pm Packaging seems some kind of rocket science, I do not get it, really! :roll:

Anyway, I hope, you'll enjoy the new counter and from your previous posting I saw that you are
definitely are enjoying your new home¹. :)

¹looks like the northern part of Germany with lots of flat "Gegend" (too flat for my taste ;) I'm a Black Forest Landei )
Yes, it's quiet flat here but not too much indeed -and the harz mountains are near. I like it. Ik bin een norddütsche Flachländer. ;)

Packaging rant (also in tune with cupdriver): I don't know why it's so damn hard to pack and pad delicate devices properly. I for myself have never had any problems to pack things in a way they survived the delivery without any damage.
The seller of the 5370B was 90% there! :cry: If he had used styrofoam at the backside of the instrument and on both sides in full width and height it's most likely that no damage would have occurred.
URI [Jay]
--
URI

Post by URI »

tggzzz wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 pm
Specmaster wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm I have a simple motto, pack it in the fashion as I would want to receive it, it is simple to pack anything well, you don't need any skills just common sense.
Unfortunately "common sense isn't " is a useful rule of thumb in all situations :(

Most people don't have a clue how they would like to see something packed, partly because the haven't conceived of the reasons packaging can fail.
Unfortunately I think you're right.
I wonder why no one anticipates the way all fragile or expensive and damageable goods come packed and padded when new.
It seems that too many don't get the idea (or they simply don't care) what it's all about this cardboard boxes and all the padding -it's only so much rubbish to get rid of once the new shiny big ass TV is unboxed! :rage:

Around X-Mas one can see endless queues of people at the doors of post offices to ship their poorly and to a minimum packed gifts to their relatives -because they don't even read nor care for the packaging guidelines. *facepalm'

But I will calm down now.. *slowly breathing and breathing out and breathing and.."
In the end the instrument itself was not damaged.
On the other hand -no refund for me. :lol:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

New 3D Printer (finally got my Xmas prezzie CR-10 Smart sorted) and new print (parts for my eBike/HP server battery upgrade):

viewtopic.php?p=2868#p2868

mnem
This pleases me.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:48 am New 3D Printer (finally got my Xmas prezzie CR-10 Smart sorted) and new print (parts for my eBike/HP server battery upgrade):

viewtopic.php?p=2868#p2868

mnem
This pleases me.
That looks like a pretty useful piece of kit, capable of producing some larger prints and great textures.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Specmaster wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm common sense.
Perhaps the most horribly misnamed thing in the history of, well, ever.

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mnementh wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 amhttps://www.amazon.com/WOWSTICK-Screwdr ... 09GJLDBK4/

Image . Image

It's arrived; a day late as Amazon decided to save a shekel by combining the delivery with a much more expensive bit. meh. Image

Packaging is very iStuff; little boxes inside of big box and each bit in a silky white plastic baggie. :roll:

That said; after a few minutes fiddling with it, I'll say the general quality level is actually much higher than expected. Enough so that I want to take a few more pics and get into it once it's had a chance to fully charge up.

Honestly, if I'd known how well-made it is at first look (like if I'd seen it on sale at a Expo vendor's table and had a chance to hold it in my hands) I'd not have hesitated to pay the $20 regular price it still has on Amazon.
note: You can click on the thumbs under my post and get the full-size image for detail viewing.

Image . Image

So.... a little research online revealed that these are not some cheapie Chinesium POS; they are a somewhat better Chinesium tech gear from XIAOMI. The WOWSTICK family is one of their "uber" product lines, and they apparently have quite a following. :ugeek: These are apparently an older model being cleared out. This is the SD23 "STANDARD" set, which only includes the XO bit kit; the more you pay, the more of these little tubes you get in ascending order X0, X1, X2, X3, etc.

The bits are very good; well formed and crisp edges, hardened black-blasted CR-V without the cheap-feeling nickel coating and very similar in hardness to my well-loved KOBALT and HUSKY multi-bit micro-drivers I've relied on for decades now. I'd happily have paid my $11 for just these bits to use with one of those manual drivers.

The tube carrier is quite clever; the bits stick into little rubber holders which are captive on a bit of steel rod with grooves cut in it. This set has, interestingly, PH0, PHOOO and PH2 (properly sized, just scaled down outer diameter), but no PH0 or PH1. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: But it does have the 3 most common Pentastar and Y/Triangle bits, and a SIM Card removal tool. :thumbsup:

I had a chance to use it in anger during the week; I needed to tear down wifey's old laptop to service the cooler and diag a faulty keyboard. The WOWSTICK worked fabulously, and def saved some assache on the longer screws that go through 3-layer sandwich of bottom plastic body, mainboard, and top plastic bezel.

The stand is actually quite usable and useful; it is made of solid anodized aluminum with a silicone rubber base (I peeled it up and looked under) and in no time I was in the habit of sticking it back in the base. No, it doesn't charge the driver; it is very obvious that would defeat the convenience of the thing. But it uses a common USB-C (and they include a little 6" one) so charging is pretty well sorted anyways.

Review and teardowns seen online show these use a all-metal-gear driveline, in a brass frame; the operation feels and sounds silky smooth.

TL/DR: These are still showing on Amazon for $14.95 with a $5 coupon right now... all y'alls wanna go on and get you one, at least those in the States; you overseas might wanna see if you can find it on sale too.

https://www.amazon.com/WOWSTICK-Screwdr ... 09GJLDBK4/

mnem
Definitely 2 thumbs up from this tool dwagon. Image
Last edited by mnementh on Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Cubdriver wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 am
Specmaster wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:56 pm common sense.
Perhaps the most horribly misnamed thing in the history of, well, ever.
No worse than "military intelligence" or "virtual reality" :)
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:01 am
mnementh wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 amhttps://www.amazon.com/WOWSTICK-Screwdr ... 09GJLDBK4/

Image . Image

It's arrived; a day late as Amazon decided to save a shekel by combining the delivery with a much more expensive bit. meh. Image

Packaging is very iStuff; little boxes inside of big box and each bit in a silky white plastic baggie. :roll:

That said; after a few minutes fiddling with it, I'll say the general quality level is actually much higher than expected. Enough so that I want to take a few more pics and get into it once it's had a chance to fully charge up.

Honestly, if I'd known how well-made it is at first look (like if I'd seen it on sale at a Expo vendor's table and had a chance to hold it in my hands) I'd not have hesitated to pay the $20 regular price it still has on Amazon.
note: You can click on the thumbs under my post and get the full-size image for detail viewing.

Image . Image

So.... a little research online revealed that these are not some cheapie Chinesium POS; they are a somewhat better Chinesium tech gear from XIAOMI. The WOWSTICK family is one of their "uber" product lines, and they apparently have quite a following. :ugeek: These are apparently an older model being cleared out. This is the "STANDARD" set, which only includes the XO bit kit; the more you pay, the more of these little tubes you get in ascending order X0, X1, X2, X3, etc.

The bits are very good; well formed and crisp edges, hardened black-blasted CR-V without the cheap-feeling nickel coating and very similar in hardness to my well-loved KOBALT and HUSKY multi-bit micro-drivers I've relied on for decades now. I'd happily have paid my $11 for just these bits to use with one of those manual drivers.

The tube carrier is quite clever; the bits stick into little rubber holders which are captive on a bit of steel rod with grooves cut in it. This set has, interestingly, PH0, PHOOO and PH2 (properly sized, just scaled down outer diameter), but no PH0 or PH1. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: But it does have the 3 most common Pentastar and Y/Triangle bits, and a SIM Card removal tool. :thumbsup:

I had a chance to use it in anger during the week; I needed to tear down wifey's old laptop to service the cooler and diag a faulty keyboard. The WOWSTICK worked fabulously, and def saved some assache on the longer screws that go through 3-layer sandwich of bottom plastic body, mainboard, and top plastic bezel.

The stand is actually quite usable and useful; it is made of solid anodized aluminum with a silicone rubber base (I peeled it up and looked under) and in no time I was in the habit of sticking it back in the base. No, it doesn't charge the driver; it is very obvious that would defeat the convenience of the thing. But it uses a common USB-C (and they include a little 6" one) so charging is pretty well sorted anyways.

Review and teardowns seen online show these use a all-metal-gear driveline, in a brass frame; the operation feels and sounds silky smooth.

TL/DR: These are still showing on Amazon for $14.95 with a $5 coupon right now... all y'alls wanna go on and get you one, at least those in the States; you overseas might wanna see if you can find it on sale too.

https://www.amazon.com/WOWSTICK-Screwdr ... 09GJLDBK4/

mnem
Definitely 2 thumbs up from this tool dwagon. Image
I'd also probably get one of those, if we get a similar offer, although I already have one of the larger older style, (mini drill looking type) that doesn't get used much, partly because of the bulkiness of it on the bench so my son got one of these manual sets for a Christmas pressie a couple of years ago which is brilliant I must say. But just like the tool dwagon, I do love these types of tools and like meters, you can never have too many tools, you never when they might be the perfect tool for the job in hand :geek:
toolset.jpg
Who let Murphy in?

mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

URI wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 pm
I wonder why no one anticipates the way all fragile or expensive and damageable goods come packed and padded when new.
It seems that too many don't get the idea (or they simply don't care) what it's all about this cardboard boxes and all the padding -it's only so much rubbish to get rid of once the new shiny big ass TV is unboxed! :rage:
Just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad 460, used. The seller had a very high rating in reviews, and deservedly so;
  • The package arrived FAST, less than 2 days from purchase.
  • The product is clearly used, but in very good condition. It has been properly refurbished, both hardware and software.
  • The packaging was done using a new carton, purpose-built for shipping laptops.
    Here's a video of the laptop packaging solution: https://youtu.be/b43-VlPOeYM
So, it can be done, but it requires caring and thought.
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Image of the non-existing packaging of the Yokogawa DL 1200A I've bought via ebay Kleinanzeigen:

Seller told me, she didn't knew, that this wasn't sufficient packaging. :evil: :roll:

Full story: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... msg3550187
Robert

Post by Robert »

The WOW screwdriver offer (I only got $2 coupon) comes to £28 (~$35) shipped and tax paid to the UK. I don't do enough work with that size screw to make it worthwhile to me. However the UK price for the same drivr is £45 so still worth shipping from the USA if you want one.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I found the SD23 kit in several different listings on slAmazon, all right around original MSRP; it is only the listing from the WOWSTICK Amazon store that is on clearance for 20 quid plus additional coupon savings. Not sure if that's the listing you found.

mnem
:thinking:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

New printer running at 130mm/s with 0.40 Clone CHT nozzle; this shaves a day off the print time.

mnem
giggity.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mansaxel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am
Just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad 460, used. The seller had a very high rating in reviews, and deservedly so;
  • The product is clearly used, but in very good condition. It has been properly refurbished, both hardware and software.
  • The packaging was done using a new carton, purpose-built for shipping laptops.
Yeah; that packing system has been around over a decade that I know of; several of my IT/ASP clients sent everything I was to deploy/replace/R&R in them unless it was BNIB. I was, of course, expected to pack the old one up in the same package and return ship most of the time. ;)
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mansaxel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am
I've actually had items delivered in similar packaging, Amazon and quite few other suppliers have adopted that style for certain items already.
Who let Murphy in?

Robert

Post by Robert »

Where I have trouble with packing TE is the logistics of boxes for 19" rack size equipment.
The correct size box for say 3 or 4U is not easily available so you have to cut a bigger box down in height and have excess space. Even then the minimum pack size at a sensible price is 5. Even then they are not cheap. And having used one you have to store 4 large, flat moisture sensitive boxes somewhere. I do not have anywhwere sensible to do this.
Yes if I was a dealar I'd have custom boxes and inserts or foam-in-place (very non-green) but I'm not a dealer so don't. Last time I shipped a large bit of kit I actually used a giant Really Useful Box because it was cheaper than buying 5 card boxes 40 for which would not be used. To properly pack and ship a 4U 19" rack unit internationally now costs me about £150 not including my time.
A lot of ebay buyers do not understand this. The only other option in the UK is a pallet. But then you need pallets and for the low cost services a forklift to load it.....

Robert.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

A local packaging supplier will sell one off cardboard boxes to people that walk in.

They also have large plastic bags of packaging material off-cuts. I got a 1m*1.5m bag of foam offcuts for £5. That's now stored under a leaky terrace, covered by a tarpaulin :)

Might be worth investigating, but it helps to live near a large city!