Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Cubdriver

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by Cubdriver »

Nice. Seeing yours might inspire me to excavate and work on mine. They definitely squeezed 8 lbs of guano into a 5 lb box on those little buggers.

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yup. Construction is very reminiscent of Med's favorite eeny-weeny Teks... :rofl:

mnem
*toddles off to glom a chook for lunch*
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Image . Image

Straw poll:

After much scrubbing with everything I have on hand, the marker and yellowing discoloration seen above are not coming off; this bad boy is gonna need a coat of paint. Now my name is not Med, so I don't have any Bahama Blue or Sea Foam Green, or whatever... so I'm leaning towards a nice satin/semi-gloss black, as I happen to have a rattle-can of right here.

Opinions? Cheers, jeers, random observations on the nature of reality...?

mnem
*here chicky, chicky, chicky... git in muh belly!!!*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Maybe try retro-brighting it? See if hydrogen peroxide would do any good?

-Pat
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

mnementh wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:37 pm Image . Image

Straw poll:

After much scrubbing with everything I have on hand, the marker and yellowing discoloration seen above are not coming off; this bad boy is gonna need a coat of paint. Now my name is not Med, so I don't have any Bahama Blue or Sea Foam Green, or whatever... so I'm leaning towards a nice satin/semi-gloss black, as I happen to have a rattle-can of right here.

Opinions? Cheers, jeers, random observations on the nature of reality...?

mnem
*here chicky, chicky, chicky... git in muh belly!!!*
Be brave. :P :lol:

An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Duly noted, and balls duly busted, Med. Well-played! :rofl:

mnem
Weeth seex joo get egg loll.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Seriously, Girl Genius? You knew I was binging, and made me my own little story, didn't you...? :rofl:

mnem
*chuffed-dwagon*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

Big load of Fluke and HP manuals, US contingent may be in a better position to help the OP with these: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... msg4833848
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

Some electronics related pics from videogames here:

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
TonyAlbus

Post by TonyAlbus »

New toy and i am impressed a lot.
This Thermal imager for smartphone works great!
Apple and Android.
front2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijoIHauAk
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

TonyAlbus wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:24 pm New toy and i am impressed a lot.
This Thermal imager for smartphone works great!
Apple and Android.

front2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijoIHauAk
Wow, that is great, thank you for sharing. I bet it is expensive though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

$280 shipped; but the performance (res by framerate) is finally around what I feel is "minimum usable" as a diag tool. If I were still in the biz it'd be a no-brainer; as a hobbyist it'll need to be around half that before I'll seriously consider it.

I've been watching the price/performace ratio of these things shift over the last half decade; I give it another 2-3 years of this BS then the bottom will fall out of the current retardedly inflated market for these things and something of similar performance will come as a "added feature" on your iPwn. Then your cheap android smartPwns will quickly follow suit.

There will be a limit on the res tho; much higher than these are already and you're starting to get into shit that will be a "controlled technology" under the Homeland Security Act, etc...

mnem
*Watching The March of Progress flip Big Brother the finger yet again*
TonyAlbus

Post by TonyAlbus »

Export is US controlled above 9 Hz.. thats why most are below that refresh rate 9 Hz.
but if you are a save country and/or camera is dual mode... and buyer is non military..
then you are alowed to have...
i am not US citizen and its not exported by US i am non militery live in save country... so its possible above 9 Hz.
something like that.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-i ... rk-around/
https://www.flir.eu/support-center/oem/ ... the-other/
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Received today some vacuum glass resistors from Bulgaria, manufactured in the USSR.
Values are 100MOhm, 1GOhm, 10GOhm and 100GOhm. All resistors are rated with a +/- 5% tolerance.

Here are some pictures:

Overview:

100MOhm

1GOhm

10GOhm

100GOhm

I've bought them on ebay from this seller (NAWTS):
https://www.ebay.de/str/mlelectronics
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Image . Image . Image

For almost 2 months I've been tormenting the Discord (and occasionally in here) with snippets of a mod I've been working on to replace the aging hoverboard battery from my fatBike/eBike with these 48V/6AH [hp] server batteries. Well, project is done, so...

viewtopic.php?t=167

...promised pics are now all pulled together into the above new topic. Enjoy, cheer, jeer, ask pointed questions about "Why didn't I..." ;)

mnem
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

*pokes the forum with a stick*

Hmmm... is anybody else getting a popup on the Discord about some duck-fuckery with our usernames, and then a "messages failed to load" error?

Never mind... looks like FireFlumph's latest update borked something in Discord; fixed now. *kix Mozilla in the 'nads*

mnem
I really do wish they'd just stop "fixing shit" over there... Image
URI

Post by URI »

Ups, avalanche!
The list of required equipment needed for checking/adjusting a piece of test gear struck again..
This time its for my [hp] 5370B Time Interval Counters: The manual lists a [hp] 182C oscilloscope mainframe with [hp] 1810A 1GHz sampling plug-in with a rise-time of =< 350ps. Nothing any of my oscilloscopes is capable of. So...

...I just pulled the trigger on a nearly mint-looking Philips PM3340 sampling oscilloscope 2 Ch 2GHz. <175ps rise time according to the datasheet. :D
(photo of ebay-ad:)
20230517_PM3340-total.jpg
20230517_PM3340-Ch1.jpg
20230517_PM3340-Ch2.jpg
I hope this will work out fine -no contact to the seller established yet.. :shock: :lol:

The seller is only ~100km away, I think I will go for picking it up.

After all I read about this oscilloscope I will have to replace many, many caps. 8-)
URI [Jay]
--
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:54 pm *pokes the forum with a stick*

Hmmm... is anybody else getting a popup on the Discord about some duck-fuckery with our usernames, and then a "messages failed to load" error?

Never mind... looks like FireFlumph's latest update borked something in Discord; fixed now. *kix Mozilla in the 'nads*

mnem
I've noticed just fat and slow it is getting these days, I'm beginning to play around with Edge and its so much faster than FireFlump as well, I might just make it my default browser.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

I spent a bit of time on the weekend doing some fast fix-up with the idea of getting the outdoor lighting in the back yard up and running extremely temporarily to get through the past weekend plus the long weekend coming up with the idea of doing proper, permanent fixes once I'm on vacation.

This requires some tools and test equipment:

The U1253B was the closest multimeter so that's what I went with.

First, was putting a new socket on the end of an extension cord that burned up at 56% of rated load:

The ballast resistor for the neon indicator is visible in this one.

Continuity testing to make sure what should be the line, neutral, and ground are in fact the line, neutral and ground before putting the new socket on.

Fixed. The 50 foot cord is now back in service even if it's a little bit less than 50 feet in length now.

This one was my fault back in the fall when I was trimming back the shrub that was growing beneath it. I spliced in a short length of cable and got the one side of the back yard lit up again.

This one's different. This is where the neighbour chopped out about a foot of length including a bulb socket so I spliced in a long section of scrap cable from another set of lights to make up the distance and got that running. I have spares and both of these strings are going to be replaced outright two weeks from now once the Victoria Day long weekend is over and I have some vacation time to spend on projects around the house including some test equipment projects that always slide when I'm working.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

URI wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:46 pmImage

...I just pulled the trigger on a nearly mint-looking Philips PM3340 sampling oscilloscope 2 Ch 2GHz. <175ps rise time according to the datasheet. :D
Much as I love my 546XXxen, that is a dead-sexy bit of TE! Best of luck tooya!

mnem
Evict those caps with extreme prejudice!
URI

Post by URI »

mnementh wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:56 pm
URI wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:46 pmImage

Much as I love my 546XXxen, that is a dead-sexy bit of TE! Best of luck tooya!

mnem
Evict those caps with extreme prejudice!
Jepp, it's quiet a serious piece of ancient high-tech. :lol:
So sexy: An oscilloscope with 50 Ohm N-connectors for the two channels!

It'll match my 5370B well which is a serious piece of ancient high-tech, too. 8-)
Look: more photos of the innards of an PM 3340 at eevblog forum.

Caps, even worse, tants: No mercy..! :twisted:
URI [Jay]
--
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Specmaster wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:24 pm
mnementh wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:54 pm *pokes the forum with a stick*

mnem
I've noticed just fat and slow it is getting these days, I'm beginning to play around with Edge and its so much faster than FireFlump as well, I might just make it my default browser.
I use it for my daughter's schoolwork... time4learning is optimized for Chrome so everything scales right. If MS can find a way to sell data on what phonemes she's working on this week, more power to 'em.

Otherwise I prefer FF; I abuse the tabs and often have 100-150 open at a time before I cull the herd. Chrome has historically tended to blow up at around 75-100 for me.

mnem
i am moop.
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

I forgot to mention, the big push to get the outdoor lighting up and running was because I invited some friends over for a barbecue and bonfire. My back yard becomes a pitch black abyss at night after the last of the light in the sky goes and the Christmas lights seem to be the best approach to lighting the whole thing up in a gentle way without being too labour intensive. Before that, I was using hurricane lanterns and tiki torches and even though they were nice, they were very labour intensive. Some of the torches might come back out to keep mosquitoes away if they start turning up in large quantity though.

Anyways, one of my friends who I was in college with was looking over the U1253B and one of the others is an electrician so we ended up talking about multimeters and I mentioned how the case is MOLLE compatible and grabbed my backpack to show how it mounts on it and then I had a thought and grabbed another meter from inside and compared how the displays match up as the daylight was going:

The college friend fell in love with the U1253B disappear into his car. This is after he fell in love with the Fluke 8060As several months ago when I brought them out to an air compressor replacement job. Someone's multimeter shopping list is getting longer...
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

@25 CPS: Sometimes one needs the right friends. :lol:

Noopy took some pictures and gave some explanations about the TI reference REF3033 I've sent to him a while back:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology ... msg4867730

The whole die:
tautech

Post by tautech »

BU508A wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 am @25 CPS: Sometimes one needs the right friends. :lol:

Noopy took some pictures and gave some explanations about the TI reference REF3033 I've sent to him a while back:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology ... msg4867730

The whole die:
No tennis racquet signature therefore I know who didn't design it.
Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler