Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Robert

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by Robert »

Pat beat me to the Bristol description. I'd gone to bed...
Used on avionics and some jukeboxes and to keep on topic, Collins TE.

Robert.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

A-B a - 320k.jpg
Breakfast bagel with a side of awesome!!!

mnem
A-B b -136k.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

That is a VERY cool mug!! Love it!

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mantle - 174K.jpg
It's in good company. ;)

mnem
*old-skool*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teadmin
Site Admin

Post by teadmin »

tggzzz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:05 pm
MED6753 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:03 pm WTF is all that? I'm not clicking on any of those links. :shock:
Of course not.

Just click the "!" button, and report it.
Thanks for reporting that. Deleted and banned.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hooray Bitseeker!!!

mnem
:raised_hands:
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

I meant to post a pic but being the lazy slime that I am, never got around to taking one. Mnementh's post this morning prompted me to rectify that. A few months back, I found a blue version of the HP mug on the wallet evacuation site. Pairs up nicely with the green one. Wonder if they made them in any other colors…

-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Just because I can... 😈

Onkyo TX-DS838, KLH 910Bs, Technics SL-QD2.

mnem
”Say Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet;
. Ooh, but they're so spaced out...
. BUHH-BUHH-BUHH-BUHH BENNIE AND THE JETS..."

MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

mnementh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:43 pm Image

Just because I can... 😈

mnem

The speaker wire is a trip hazard. Dress it up! :lol:
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

MED6753 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:35 pm
mnementh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:43 pm Image

Just because I can... 😈

mnem

The speaker wire is a trip hazard. Dress it up! :lol:
Nice AV receiver, 100W RMS @ 8ohms not too shabby, could do with some better speakers me thinks though, and yes dress that speaker wire up, and that it self could benefit from a wire upgrade ;)
Last edited by Specmaster on Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

no.

mnem
I like it loud & sloppy. :smiling_imp:
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

have not been to the movies since before covid.

was finally excited to see a flick coming out next week that looked interesting enough to keep my fat ass in a theater for 3 hours (yep the listing says 3 hours!)

"oppenheimer".....about the development of the trinity fission bomb.

so i searched for and found a 3 minute 6 second long trailer online. looked really good until the 3 minute mark when they display what is apparently a count down clock shifting between 3 and 2 seconds. holy shitballs.......its an hour-minute-second nixie clock! really! in 1945? (and it looks like the "2" is one of those upside down and flipped 5's in a ruskie nixie.)

can i find enough forgiveness and suspension of disbelief to go watch this now?

probably not. 1955 technology being depicted in a 1945 historical event is just too grievous an error for the nixiefreqq.
free range primate since 2011
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Saw that trailer on Saturday too and though EXACTLY the same damn thing. bd140 was smirking at my rabid complaining about the anachronism.

Went to see Asteroid City. Good film. Very weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXCSXuGTF4
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Yeah, that definitely looks like the Soviet era nixies. You’ve got to give them credit for being creative in reducing the number of cutouts by flipping the two and using it for the five, but it still irks me a bit. One of the good things about nixies in my opinion is how nicely formed the digits are. That 2/5 swap just ruins it. Twos should be twos, and fives should be fives, end of rant.

(But you clock makers, definitely go for it - use the Soviet tubes - they’re relatively plentiful and inexpensive.) :D :D

-Pat
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Some time back I was chatting to a well known instrument dealer. He said he'd been watching a sci-fi film on TV with his daughter. There was a scene in the lab with equipment in the background. He said. "Oh that's a Marconi 2955 Receiver Test Set, that's an old Solartron scope, that's a Solartron Gain/Phase analyser, that's a........... . I can't see what they'd be doing with that lot in the 22nd century". She said, "Oh Dad, can't you leave that at work? Do you have to spoil everything?"
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Zenith wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:52 am Some time back I was chatting to a well known instrument dealer. He said he'd been watching a sci-fi film on TV with his daughter. There was a scene in the lab with equipment in the background. He said. "Oh that's a Marconi 2955 Receiver Test Set, that's an old Solartron scope, that's a Solartron Gain/Phase analyser, that's a........... . I can't see what they'd be doing with that lot in the 22nd century". She said, "Oh Dad, can't you leave that at work? Do you have to spoil everything?"
Yeah there was a lot of that in The Expanse. For example the UNN ship had a couple of what look like Fluke / HP parts sitting on the bridge consoles...
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

The original Battlestar Galactica from the late 70s used a lot of Tek gear, and some assorted HP kit, too.

A bunch of RTM506s here, stuffed with various goodies, and a pair of 73xx scopes:
5ACD3366-EF1B-453E-9124-33EFAC955BF1.jpeg
And those sure look to me to be HP 312A or B Selective Voltmeters at left:
F50EED50-0AD4-4FF2-88FD-4F7B2F114161.jpeg
-Pat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

bd139 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 am
Zenith wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:52 am Some time back I was chatting to a well known instrument dealer. He said he'd been watching a sci-fi film on TV with his daughter. There was a scene in the lab with equipment in the background. He said. "Oh that's a Marconi 2955 Receiver Test Set, that's an old Solartron scope, that's a Solartron Gain/Phase analyser, that's a........... . I can't see what they'd be doing with that lot in the 22nd century". She said, "Oh Dad, can't you leave that at work? Do you have to spoil everything?"
Yeah there was a lot of that in The Expanse. For example the UNN ship had a couple of what look like Fluke / HP parts sitting on the bridge consoles...
...and that's why they're all dead. :rofl:

mnem
cuz you don't bring a gun to a dragonfight, that's why.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Cubdriver wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:51 am The original Battlestar Galactica from the late 70s used a lot of Tek gear, and some assorted HP kit, too.

A bunch of RTM506s here, stuffed with various goodies, and a pair of 73xx scopes:

-Pat
Yeah, well... they had a excuse; Earth was supposed to be one of their long-lost colonies, after all... ;)

mnem
*sigh* fuck, I'm old...
tautech

Post by tautech »

Cubdriver wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:51 am The original Battlestar Galactica from the late 70s used a lot of Tek gear, and some assorted HP kit, too.

-Pat
Old Tek used as a prop at the set we are currently working on, lower left. Old HP 1740 and RF gen above from our junk pile.

Anything further is under NDA.....
Last edited by tautech on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

is 1640 a typo?

or do i have to go looking for one?
free range primate since 2011
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. The last few weeks have been a mix for sure. I've been keeping busy with work and football, and that's helped, but football finished up for the season on Saturday and I'm a bit at loose ends so I'll probably be picking the test equipment up again and resume digging into that 141T among other projects. And I absolutely have to do another project in terms of surveillance cameras. I know I keep saying that but on Tuesday last week, I went to put something in the recycling bin and discovered that my neighbour has been at it again:

This time it was the extension cord that carries power from the front porch to the cedar tree for the Christmas lights on that. This is right in front of the house so I'm wondering from the cut that was started and then abandoned was because someone happened to go by in the middle of it, and then the complete cut through the cord was made after? There's no plausible way to claim this was a tree trimming or lawn mowing accident since no cutting tools of any kind are used on the concrete steps where the two cuts were made. I'm so fed up with this. I don't need this right now.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

25 CPS wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:32 pm Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. The last few weeks have been a mix for sure. I've been keeping busy with work and football, and that's helped, but football finished up for the season on Saturday and I'm a bit at loose ends so I'll probably be picking the test equipment up again and resume digging into that 141T among other projects. And I absolutely have to do another project in terms of surveillance cameras. I know I keep saying that but on Tuesday last week, I went to put something in the recycling bin and discovered that my neighbour has been at it again:

This time it was the extension cord that carries power from the front porch to the cedar tree for the Christmas lights on that. This is right in front of the house so I'm wondering from the cut that was started and then abandoned was because someone happened to go by in the middle of it, and then the complete cut through the cord was made after? There's no plausible way to claim this was a tree trimming or lawn mowing accident since no cutting tools of any kind are used on the concrete steps where the two cuts were made. I'm so fed up with this. I don't need this right now.
Could you maybe get an isolation transformer with good winding to winding and winding to core insulation to feed the outdoor lights, then float the secondary and the whole lighting string on an electric fence power supply? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (I know, I know, probably illegal and the vandal could sue, but it damned well should be perfectly ok. It’s so simple to NOT damage other people’s property, yet for reasons beyond my comprehension we seem to protect those who do and punish someone who wants to protect what they’ve worked for from maliciousness.)

Regarding your loss, it’ll take time, but will eventually get better. Keeping busy is a BIG help in reaching that ultimate outcome. Hang in there, man.

-Pat
tautech

Post by tautech »

nixiefreqq wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:50 pm is 1640 a typo?

or do i have to go looking for one?
Okay, okay, typo HP 1740 :oops:
Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

tautech wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:19 pm Old Tek used as a prop at the set we are currently working on, lower left. Old HP 1740 and RF gen above from our junk pile.

Anything further is under NDA.....
I recognize that RF generator - have both an A and a B waiting to be fixed - the range mechanism gets gummy and seizes up.
40ACCEAE-3021-46B4-A34E-69E4CA607BE0.jpeg
Not exactly looking forward to it as they’re rather nightmarish to access. They’ve been in the queue for a while now…
8F1BAA2C-820D-4A88-9EA7-C03354471BA1.jpeg
E8B2B361-A9B0-4BDA-8538-8B4DC797D5FA.jpeg
141B61F6-5F9C-45B8-A7C2-18B5AF754F39.jpeg
-Pat