New phone scam, please watch and be vigilant.

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Specmaster

New phone scam, please watch and be vigilant.

Post by Specmaster »

This just popped up on my recommended YT watch list and it is a scam being run from Pakistan and is targeting 02 customers. Once you respond in the manner they want you to, they then take over your phone account and order top of the range iPhones from 02 but you never get them, they do and it is operational right now, here in the UK. Police are involved in trying to stop this, please do not fall for this scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEb6hWWMAaE
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
Robert

Re: New phone scam, please watch and be vigilant.

Post by Robert »

The answer to this type of scan is that you never give a one time code to somone else by phone or email etc and never use one that wasn't generated by you doing something yourself without any direction form anyone else.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Robert wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:46 pm The answer to this type of scan is that you never give a one time code to somone else by phone or email etc and never use one that wasn't generated by you doing something yourself without any direction form anyone else.
Oh no, that's fecked eBay and PayPal then straight away, they both like to use OTP codes in order to verify that it is you who is trying do something on their site. :shock: ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Specmaster wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:54 pm
Robert wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:46 pm The answer to this type of scan is that you never give a one time code to somone else by phone or email etc and never use one that wasn't generated by you doing something yourself without any direction form anyone else.
Oh no, that's fecked eBay and PayPal then straight away, they both like to use OTP codes in order to verify that it is you who is trying do something on their site. :shock: ;)
Yeah, but those only (in my experience, anyway) come to me when I AM doing something on the site - never out of the blue. Based on the video, it sounds like the scammers claiming to be your service provider initiate the contact and begin the process. One-time codes have always been generated in real time as I'm doing something on that particular site, typically I'm aware that they'll be sent, and are entered by me, not passed on to someone else.

-Pat
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

Regardless, if I was king, scammers would be put against the wall at dawn. Despicable parasitic scumbags; the world would be a better place without them.

-Pat
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Cubdriver wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:32 pm
Specmaster wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:54 pm
Yeah, but those only (in my experience, anyway) come to me when I AM doing something on the site - never out of the blue. Based on the video, it sounds like the scammers claiming to be your service provider initiate the contact and begin the process. One-time codes have always been generated in real time as I'm doing something on that particular site, typically I'm aware that they'll be sent, and are entered by me, not passed on to someone else.

-Pat
Yep, I know, I was being flippant hence the winking emoji.
Who let Murphy in?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yeah; I posted about this scam all over Craigslist like months ago. It's not new; just a new location.

mnem
Never give anybody you don't know on the internet anything they ask for. smeesh. :roll:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

It's amazing how many people fall for it though.
Who let Murphy in?

vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

I believe that the best "anti-scam" protection is to be old, nasty & suspicious.

If you expect just about everything to be a scam, you are seldom disappointed.
Nobody gives "great deals" just to be nice---there is always an ulterior motive, whether it is a scammer, or whoever they purport to be.
And on top of that, they can get off my lawn!
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

vk6zgo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:41 am I believe that the best "anti-scam" protection is to be old, nasty & suspicious.
Not sufficient, unfortunately.

While nobody would think Mary Berners-Lee was nasty, she was old and knowledgeable, but was still scammed. Unsurprisingly she had the courage and name to be able to publicise the issue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-27688173
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Some of the most intelligent people I know have been scammed. You do have to be nasty and suspicious. That's the important bit.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

tggzzz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:40 am
vk6zgo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:41 am I believe that the best "anti-scam" protection is to be old, nasty & suspicious.
Not sufficient, unfortunately.

While nobody would think Mary Berners-Lee was nasty, she was old and knowledgeable, but was still scammed. Unsurprisingly she had the courage and name to be able to publicise the issue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-27688173
These people are so despicable there really should be a dedicated police division to track these people down and close them down forever.
Who let Murphy in?