Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
synx508

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by synx508 »

Robert wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:51 pm
I did say the Wavetek was working when last used some time ago and that it had a habit of giving an output error message that I never got to go wrong on the bench. Now you've fixed it I'd be happy to give you your £20 back :P

Robert.
Ah! No need for a refund, it's a thoroughly enjoyable little generator, even if it's a bit beepy.The manual is brilliant, very impressive, loads of great descriptions of the circuit blocks.
It mostly fixed itself. It wouldn't start at all or started then immediately restarted then hung but after I took the lid off and wiggled some of the interconnects it behaved more as I'd expect it to. The output protect message with all the beeping made me jump, by the way, guessing this is the message as it seemed to pop up at random a few times? It didn't appear to be protecting anything, not entirely sure what its telling me but I've only skimmed the operating side of the manual.
I am still not sure if it was just some capacitors settling back into the idea of being capacitors or the wire wiggling that brought it back.

Did you find a buyer for the amazing yellow capacitance computer?
synx508

Post by synx508 »

Specmaster wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:10 pm If you need any bits for the 1742 drop me a PM, somewhere in my lab I have a load of boards etc for the 1740 series of scopes, I might be able to help you with.
Thanks. I think I've got everything I needed from either my parts donor 1740A or the 1725A that is potentially a parts donor for my 1715A. The 1725A is complete and works but the intensity is too low to be useful and I've a feeling it's a very tired tube. It has donated an attenuator "cal" knob, which came from the 1740A in the first place.
Robert

Post by Robert »

synx508 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:21 pm
I did say the Wavetek was working when last used some time ago and that it had a habit of giving an output error message that I never got to go wrong on the bench. Now you've fixed it I'd be happy to give you your £20 back :P

Robert.
Ah! No need for a refund, it's a thoroughly enjoyable little generator, even if it's a bit beepy.The manual is brilliant, very impressive, loads of great descriptions of the circuit blocks.
It mostly fixed itself. It wouldn't start at all or started then immediately restarted then hung but after I took the lid off and wiggled some of the interconnects it behaved more as I'd expect it to. The output protect message with all the beeping made me jump, by the way, guessing this is the message as it seemed to pop up at random a few times? It didn't appear to be protecting anything, not entirely sure what its telling me but I've only skimmed the operating side of the manual.
I am still not sure if it was just some capacitors settling back into the idea of being capacitors or the wire wiggling that brought it back.

Yes that was the message I was seeing. Selling at St Neots was a last miniute decision so I didn't check everything.
No, the fuel quantity test set didn't sell. Din't really expect it to but it was in the way when getting other stuff out of the garage so put it in the car... If anyone wants a computercontrolled high accuracy capacitance meter with two capacitance decades built in let me now.
synx508

Post by synx508 »

Robert wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:39 pm
synx508 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:21 pm

Robert.

Yes that was the message I was seeing. Selling at St Neots was a last miniute decision so I didn't check everything.
No, the fuel quantity test set didn't sell. Din't really expect it to but it was in the way when getting other stuff out of the garage so put it in the car... If anyone wants a computercontrolled high accuracy capacitance meter with two capacitance decades built in let me now.
It's a good idea to take something very interesting even if it doesn't sell, I reckon. I took a Fluke GPIB controller to Rugby and had loads of conversations as a result, many ended with people walking away with something else. The Fluke has a widescreen touch CRT and contains a super fun computer system that's like a turbocharged TI 99/4A with loads of RAM and a floppy drive. Sadly doesn't work, but maybe it's the right project for someone. No more rallies for me this year so I expect it'll turn up at Stockwood Park next year.
synx508

Post by synx508 »

bd139 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:19 pm Sad that MKARS was crap. That's usually a good one and I tend to come out with a reasonably large amount of tat :lol:
It wasn't completely crap but it was disappointing, the sellers formerly known as MA components were giving stuff away and selling other parts more cheaply because they are downsizing. One regular seller had a Marconi 2022, HP 8656B or similar and an 8903A, think they went to the usual regular buyer!
bd139

Post by bd139 »

synx508 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:08 pm
bd139 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:19 pm Sad that MKARS was crap. That's usually a good one and I tend to come out with a reasonably large amount of tat :lol:
It wasn't completely crap but it was disappointing, the sellers formerly known as MA components were giving stuff away and selling other parts more cheaply because they are downsizing. One regular seller had a Marconi 2022, HP 8656B or similar and an 8903A, think they went to the usual regular buyer!
Oh was that Mr Mercedes Estate? (again)
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

synx508 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:05 pm
tggzzz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:43 pm
Don't forget you will, if you want to keep the 3.5ns risetime, have to show the 1740 that you love it by fondling and squeezing it occasionally. The sensitive bit is, of course, the internal delay line.
I wondered where this was going, but it's presumably something to do with the effects of age… of the delay line cable.
tggzzz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:43 pm The other unpleasantness I've had is that the timebase rotary switch's outer edge pressed too hard against the PCB and abraded the PCB track. Solvable by soldering a thin wire across the gap, being careful not to get solder onto the gold plated switch track/ contacts.
This 1979 model has only two clamps on the timebase control shaft, my parts donor from a few years earlier has three (as specified in the manual), but three seems like too many. I'm going to check that I've not positioned them in a way that is likely to wear down the PCB.
tggzzz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:43 pm If you can demonstrate that they work, I expect the Tek HV transformers can be used to demonstrate to your wife that this is better than a cost-neutral hobby :)
I don't think it'll be necessary to use The Apparatus at this time.
The delay cable is a Well Known Problem, which seems to be unique to the 1740 and/or 174* range.

I can't remember the exact details of my timebase, but IIRC I described it at The Other Place.
synx508

Post by synx508 »

bd139 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:37 pm
It was. I got there 15 minutes before the official opening time and he was carrying boxes of parts from the hall to his car, which was in a pitch that suggested he was the first pseudo-trader to arrive. I asked him if he'd bought everything already and he replied "Pretty much, yes".
bd139

Post by bd139 »

synx508 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:40 am
It was. I got there 15 minutes before the official opening time and he was carrying boxes of parts from the hall to his car, which was in a pitch that suggested he was the first pseudo-trader to arrive. I asked him if he'd bought everything already and he replied "Pretty much, yes".
Yeah that's the one. I was considering following him home after the Newbury one last year and writing his address down. Then on the next hamfest, depart early and feed his car some bananas for breakfast.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:33 am
Yeah that's the one. I was considering following him home after the Newbury one last year and writing his address down. Then on the next hamfest, depart early and feed his car some bananas for breakfast.
A good old-fashioned potato up the exhaust ought to do it OK :lol:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:55 am

Bananas smell worse when they're hot! :lol:
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

One of the guys at work is into vintage Commodore computers and there's a local Commodore show every year at some hotel by the airport. One of the organizers, we nicknamed him "The Guy With The Beard" when he was telling me about his first visit to this show, has early access to the vendors during the setup and does exactly this ever year. "The Guy With The Beard" clears out everything before the doors open to the public and one year apparently wheeled a cart full of stuff out the door to his car past the lineup of people waiting for the doors to open for the show to begin. I asked the guy at work if he said anything or asked if The Guy With The Beard if he left anything for anyone else but he kept his mouth shut.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yeah, well... you can't blame the guy who volunteers for the assache of making it happen for taking some liberties... If you wanna cherry-pick, you can always volunteer for the misery yourself.

I usedta do the same thing when I worked the flea in Floriduh... Set up early with the big/hard-to-pocket stuff, make the rounds of the Garage-Sale sectors for stock to fix/sell before the gates open.

mnem
"I'm not WalMart; I don't have enough overhead to warranty against buyer's remorse." ~true story
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

mnementh wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:53 pm Yeah, well... you can't blame the guy who volunteers for the assache of making it happen for taking some liberties... If you wanna cherry-pick, you can always volunteer for the misery yourself.

I usedta do the same thing when I worked the flea in Floriduh... Set up early with the big/hard-to-pocket stuff, make the rounds of the Garage-Sale sectors for stock to fix/sell before the gates open.

mnem
"I'm not WalMart; I don't have enough overhead to warranty against buyer's remorse." ~true story
There's a difference between cherry picking and cleaning the whole place out.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:27 pm

This is not your first rodeo then :twisted:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:35 pm

That would be correct. My mathematics teacher of the time was a bit of an asshat. I did not follow the instructions set out on how to solve a problem. I can't even remember what the problem now but it was one of those things where they teach you a completely retarded way of doing it which actually makes it harder to deal with, so I solved it my way. Told me to stop trying to be clever, made an example of me in front of the class and then made me sit at the front for the rest of the year. One fine afternoon I heard him talking to another colleague about how he had a date that evening. I was unsurprisingly fed up with the unimaginative "banana a day" regime my mother inflicted upon me so there was an unloved one in the lunch box. This was shoved up the arse pipe of his shitty blue Fiesta. Now not a lot of people know it but it won't stop the car starting but if you push it up into the silencer it'll thump around in it and make a horrible noise and smell, which is exactly what it did. I like to think of him pulling up at his date with a car smelling like rancid cooked banana and making thumping noises.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

bd139 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:15 pm

That would be correct. My mathematics teacher of the time was a bit of an asshat. I did not follow the instructions set out on how to solve a problem. I can't even remember what the problem now but it was one of those things where they teach you a completely retarded way of doing it which actually makes it harder to deal with, so I solved it my way. Told me to stop trying to be clever, made an example of me in front of the class and then made me sit at the front for the rest of the year. One fine afternoon I heard him talking to another colleague about how he had a date that evening. I was unsurprisingly fed up with the unimaginative "banana a day" regime my mother inflicted upon me so there was an unloved one in the lunch box. This was shoved up the arse pipe of his shitty blue Fiesta. Now not a lot of people know it but it won't stop the car starting but if you push it up into the silencer it'll thump around in it and make a horrible noise and smell, which is exactly what it did. I like to think of him pulling up at his date with a car smelling like rancid cooked banana and making thumping noises.
That is quite odd really because I love to stick them on a BBQ as a sweet because I discovered that bananas BBQ'd in their skins are really delicious, what could be nicer than a nice hot freshly BBQ's banana (skinned of course) with a big dollop of ice cream :D I've always thought that they smelled lovely while cooking so maybe its something to do with cars exhaust then.
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:39 pm
bd139 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:15 pm
That is quite odd really because I love to stick them on a BBQ as a sweet because I discovered that bananas BBQ'd in their skins are really delicious, what could be nicer than a nice hot freshly BBQ's banana (skinned of course) with a big dollop of ice cream :D I've always thought that they smelled lovely while cooking so maybe its something to do with cars exhaust then.
Oh yes they're fine like that. However carbonated banana with a side of exhaust fumes really does you in :lol:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

25 CPS wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:31 pm
mnementh wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:53 pm Yeah, well... you can't blame the guy who volunteers for the assache of making it happen for taking some liberties... If you wanna cherry-pick, you can always volunteer for the misery yourself.

mnem
There's a difference between cherry picking and cleaning the whole place out.
*glances around furtively* :shock:

Yeaaahhh... That sounds good; lets go widdit. ;)

mnem
"all's fair in love and flea-marketeering..."
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

UK drivers be on the lookout when driving under bridges or over a bridge that has a road going under it, the rise of sick feckwits has started up again with masonry and chunks of concrete being thrown/dropped onto vehicles being driven beneath them. When driving over bridges, see if there are any signs of suspicious behaviour going on, it might just save someone's life.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-n ... source=nba
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:46 am UK drivers be on the lookout when driving under bridges or over a bridge that has a road going under it, the rise of sick feckwits has started up again with masonry and chunks of concrete being thrown/dropped onto vehicles being driven beneath them. When driving over bridges, see if there are any signs of suspicious behaviour going on, it might just save someone's life.

That has been happening in Essex since the dark ages of the 90s. I figured the best option is stay away from Essex.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:26 am
Specmaster wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:46 am UK drivers be on the lookout when driving under bridges or over a bridge that has a road going under it, the rise of sick feckwits has started up again with masonry and chunks of concrete being thrown/dropped onto vehicles being driven beneath them. When driving over bridges, see if there are any signs of suspicious behaviour going on, it might just save someone's life.

That has been happening in Essex since the dark ages of the 90s. I figured the best option is stay away from Essex.
Round here you have to be careful about tipper trucks driving into motorway bridges when the tipper is up, masonry falling off motorway bridges, and bridges falling into water.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Yeah, I had thought that it had died a death since you moved away ;), but it is a wee bit more sinister than your banana prank :lol:
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:43 am

Yeah, I had thought that it had died a death since you moved away ;), but it is a wee bit more sinister than your banana prank :lol:
At no point did I chuck a brick off a bridge at anyone. As horrible I got was water bombing a police car then hiding in a cemetery.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

bd139 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:08 am At no point did I chuck a brick off a bridge at anyone. As horrible I got was water bombing a police car then hiding in a cemetery.
You need to wash your ears out. I told you to mortar bomb it, not water bomb it.