Sad news- Walter Shawlee of Sphere

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Cubdriver

Sad news- Walter Shawlee of Sphere

Post by Cubdriver »

Just read that Walter Shawlee of Sphere Research has passed. Saw news a few months ago that he had terminal cancer and was going to shut the business down early next year. Apparently it was worse than initially thought, and he passed away yesterday. Very unfortunate - he was a good guy, and Sphere was a good source of parts for us test gear junkies. I got a few nixie counters from him over the past few years, and some other assorted parts as well. Wish I could have gone there and gotten to meet him, but unfortunately he was on the far side of the continent in BC. May he rest in peace.

My understanding is that his wife and others are going to keep the business going for at least the short term.

Dave at Artek and now Walter at Sphere - this hasn’t been a very good year. :(

-Pat

Tags:
bd139

Re: Sad news- Walter Shawlee of Sphere

Post by bd139 »

RIP even though he was an asshole to me on shipping costs :lol:
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I'm sad to hear that. I never bought anything from there because I always managed to find whatever it was somewhere more local, and the shipping was rather a lot. I did find the site a useful resource, with cross reference lists etc.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

That is sad news. We are slowly losing resources for vintage parts. I hope the family decides to continue the business.

I did order from them once but wasn't a good outcome. I forget exactly what I ordered and their inventory stated it was in stock. When I placed the order I was informed that there was no stock. That kinda soured me to ordering again unless I had no choice.
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted: