Interesting findings on the internet

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
bd139

Re: Interesting findings on the internet

Post by bd139 »

Oh that poor front end. Some idiot transmitted into it.
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

A colleage named that as a "RF-BBQ Party".
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:33 am Oh that poor front end. Some idiot transmitted into it.
Another failure mechanism with some SAs is to have DC on the input. I've semi-permanently fitted a minicircuits 18GHz DC block inside my Tek492AP.

I imagine there won't be much static on the cable - a problem that can knacker Tek1502 TDRs and which is solved by having a shorting strap inside the front panel BNC connector.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

The biggest failure of any SA is letting a fuckwit near it. Same goes for power sensors.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:31 pm The biggest failure of any SA is letting a fuckwit near it. Same goes for power sensors.
We all, um, create suboptimal situations.

My most embarrassing one was connecting the power to a microwave switch the wrong way round. There were two in the country. The client/owner was understanding, fortunately
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

Finally, Dalibor released the video about the H-Tube and the exhibition in Japan (Hiroshima)
ch_scr

Post by ch_scr »

Now this is an absolutely amazing novel process. I'm at a loss of words for the whole lasagne of layers of simulation, prediction and correction at play.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Interesting... an English Wheel for the new millenium. Now it can do more than fat fenders. :rofl:

mnem
it's always about the offset.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Huh... there's a machine to make frosty balls now, no PTA Ice-Queens required. 🤔

mnem
Wouldn't be the stoopit-est thing I've blown 30 bux on... :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ch_scr

Post by ch_scr »

Sure these ice-balls look nice, but diluting perfectly good whiskey with water? Come on...
tautech

Post by tautech »

ch_scr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 pm Sure these ice-balls look nice, but diluting perfectly good whiskey with water? Come on...
Yup, there's only one thing to add to good Scotch ....... more !
Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mnem
meh.
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

tautech wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:12 pm
ch_scr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 pm Sure these ice-balls look nice, but diluting perfectly good whiskey with water? Come on...
I prefer to add the Scotch to my mate's glass & drink Bundy Rum instead!

I've only got "Blotto" on Scotch twice----once in Wyndham WA, drinking Scotch with a beer chaser.
I peed blood the next day! :shock:

The second time was a few years later at John O' Groats in Scotland---again with a beer chaser!
Not the same dire results that time, but I thought I had been "given a message"!

I don't really like the taste, anyway---I much prefer the piratical taste of black rum-----you can keep white rum, though.
tautech

Post by tautech »

vk6zgo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:23 am

I've only got "Blotto" on Scotch twice----once in Wyndham WA, drinking Scotch with a beer chaser.

The second time was a few years later at John O' Groats in Scotland---again with a beer chaser!
Not the same dire results that time, but I thought I had been "given a message"!

I don't really like the taste, anyway---I much prefer the piratical taste of black rum-----you can keep white rum, though.
Okay me hearty !

Bundy rum it is then Bryan when we visit. Alan up the road from you no longer drinks he said when we chatted the other day so I offered my deepest sympathies. Maybe we can convince him to have a least a shandy with us.

Btw, can you suggest a good watering hole between you and Alan in Forrestfield ?
Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

vk6zgo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:23 am

I still have Scotch here under my bench which I have had for almost 20 years and is only used for times when I have a cold etc, and is added to a nice hot drink just before going to bed. It helps to have a nice deep, sweaty sleep and then normally when I wake the following morning, my cold is either gone or almost gone, works a treat.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:52 am I still have Scotch here under my bench which I have had for almost 20 years and is only used for times when I have a cold etc, and is added to a nice hot drink just before going to bed. It helps to have a nice deep, sweaty sleep and then normally when I wake the following morning, my cold is either gone or almost gone, works a treat.
Reminds me of a story a Jamaican colleague told me, of how he went to visit his dad in New York, while he was having one of the worst bouts of flu he'd ever had. The old man gave him a large glass of Green Dragon and sent him to bed. He lost two days of his life but woke up without a trace of flu.

Green Dragon is Wray and Nephews (63% ABV) rum which has had green ganga steeped in it.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

huh.

mnem
*toddles off to COSTCO*
bd139

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

That's surprisingly pretty, both from an aesthetic view and from how little state is required.

Reminds people that, before PCBs, interconnection were surprisingly heroic.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Yes it's something special that isn't it. I was rather impressed with it. The bell at the end finishes it off perfectly.

I quite like hectic wiring jobs. They are larger and more fun to debug than scratching off bits of solder mask and accidentally blowing up ICs with DMM probe slips :)
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

Zenith wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:09 pm
Specmaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:52 am I still have Scotch here under my bench which I have had for almost 20 years and is only used for times when I have a cold etc, and is added to a nice hot drink just before going to bed. It helps to have a nice deep, sweaty sleep and then normally when I wake the following morning, my cold is either gone or almost gone, works a treat.
Reminds me of a story a Jamaican colleague told me, of how he went to visit his dad in New York, while he was having one of the worst bouts of flu he'd ever had. The old man gave him a large glass of Green Dragon and sent him to bed. He lost two days of his life but woke up without a trace of flu.

Green Dragon is Wray and Nephews (63% ABV) rum which has had green ganga steeped in it.
Sounds delightful! :D
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

UK's Online Safety Bill finally passed by parliament

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-on ... 023-09-19/

Oh dear ....
bd139

Post by bd139 »

This is supposed to be interesting findings on the Internet. Not horrifying findings on the Internet! :lol:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

reuters wrote:"...The government, however, has said the bill does not ban end-to-end encryption.

Instead it will require companies to take action to stop child abuse on their platforms and as a last resort develop technology to scan encrypted messages, it has said.

Tech companies have said scanning messages and end-to-end encryption are fundamentally incompatible."
Fucking illiterate morons demanding shit they have no idea what they're asking for. Screw their feet to the floor in front of a gawddamn terminal:

"You fucking figure it out, asshole".

mnem
The fundamental flaw in choosing one's leadership via nationwide beauty pageant: You don't count brains by counting noses.
BU508A

Post by BU508A »

bd139 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:04 pm This is supposed to be interesting findings on the Internet. Not horrifying findings on the Internet! :lol:
I'll try to remember that. :lol: