Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
bd139

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by bd139 »

dl6lr wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm Since Saturday I am now owner of a Tek 575 in good condition accompanied with a 175. Haven't tested it yet. Was a trip to Heidelberg over the weekend. And as a by-catch: I got CoViD :(
Urgh. Hope you recover soon!
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

dl6lr wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm Since Saturday I am now owner of a Tek 575 in good condition accompanied with a 175. Haven't tested it yet. Was a trip to Heidelberg over the weekend. And as a by-catch: I got CoViD :(
Great score on the Tek, not so much on the Coof. Hope it’s a very mild case.

-Pat
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

So you made a trip to Heidelberg to get a hernia and came back with the added delight of Covid. Way to go!.

The Tek 575 is a nice catch.
dl6lr

Post by dl6lr »

Thanks for all the wishes... I caught a cold and my wife and me we were asking ourselfs about last being ill and joking around. Then she gave me a test and sure it showed two lines...

Of course photos are required, first the 575. I just repaired the 2x pushbutton which had bad contact (NC) and was jumpered by a previous owner. The fan is silent but the dust filter is missing one of the cap nuts (imperial units of course). One of the previous owners polished the front too much and rubbed off some of the engraved letters, so I have to fill the engraved parts with paint again ("Gravur mit Farbe auslegen", dont know how to translate that).
20240329_143117.jpg
20240329_143054.jpg
20240329_124851.jpg
20240329_124047.jpg
The 175 is missing quite some nuts and bolts around its fan, dust filter is missing and the fan turns a bit sticky, so first have to repair it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

dl6lr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm Thanks for all the wishes... I caught a cold and my wife and me we were asking ourselfs about last being ill and joking around. Then she gave me a test and sure it showed two lines...
Let's get this straight. You have a wife who tolerates you harbouring a Tek 575 and you joke around with her. You are indeed blessed.
dl6lr

Post by dl6lr »

Zenith wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 pm Let's get this straight. You have a wife who tolerates you harbouring a Tek 575 and you joke around with her. You are indeed blessed.
She was with me in Heidelberg and she even grabbed one of the handles of the 175 to get it into the car :o
She is a wonderful wife and we are now married 31 years!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

dl6lr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm
Zenith wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 pm Let's get this straight. You have a wife who tolerates you harbouring a Tek 575 and you joke around with her. You are indeed blessed.
She was with me in Heidelberg and she even grabbed one of the handles of the 175 to get it into the car :o
I like happy life affirming accounts.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

dl6lr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm Thanks for all the wishes... I caught a cold and my wife and me we were asking ourselfs about last being ill and joking around. Then she gave me a test and sure it showed two lines...

Of course photos are required, first the 575. I just repaired the 2x pushbutton which had bad contact (NC) and was jumpered by a previous owner. The fan is silent but the dust filter is missing one of the cap nuts (imperial units of course). One of the previous owners polished the front too much and rubbed off some of the engraved letters, so I have to fill the engraved parts with paint again ("Gravur mit Farbe auslegen", dont know how to translate that).

20240329_143117.jpg20240329_143054.jpg20240329_124851.jpg20240329_124047.jpg

The 175 is missing quite some nuts and bolts around its fan, dust filter is missing and the fan turns a bit sticky, so first have to repair it.

That is some primo enheavyment there, sir. Congratulations!

Also "boo, hiss!" to the coof. As others have said, hope it's a mild one and no further complications.

mnem
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

dl6lr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm
Heidelberg? Heidelberg? wasn't this picture taken in Heidelberg about 20 years ago?

the fat bastard staring at the camera is definitely the nixiefreqq........but was it Heidelberg?

edit - oh yeah......at 0:35 that's the spot all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAp3Cnytto8

the trees are bigger now....but that's the spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nixiefreqq on Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
free range primate since 2011
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

nixiefreqq wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:48 am Heidelberg? Heidelberg? wasn't this picture taken in Heidelberg about 20 years ago?
The concept that shocked me a couple of years ago is that 2050 is closer than 1990.

Next year 2050 will be closer than 2000.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Cleopatra lived closer to the present than to the time the pyramids were built.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Zenith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am Cleopatra lived closer to the present than to the time the pyramids were built.
True, but that's less ..... personal.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I don't recoil from being impersonal.
Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver »

I was beginning to think this would never arrive - spotted and instantly ordered it on March 6th from our favorite wallet depletion site. It was shipped that very day from Boston via USPS. Made it to Shrewsbury, MA the next day, then inexplicably went to Chicago. On Saturday the 9th it was processed through a USPS facility in Bedford Park, IL, then showed "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" for each day from Sunday until that Wednesday (the 10~13th). Then the updates just...

...stopped.

Around about the 23rd I printed out its itinerary (along with that of a manual that had also fallen into a black hole in its journey up from NJ) and went to visit the post office to ask if they could figure out what had happened to it/them. The clerk went in back and did some searching, then came back and said something must have happened that caused the labels to be unreadable or the like, and to be patient; they were probably being hand processed and would eventually arrive. I walked out figuring "Yeah, they're both gone..."

Kept tracking both, hoping against hope (the manual was for the hen's tooth 3735A counter; I'd been searching for one literally since getting the counter YEARS ago and had paid $41 for it because they simply don't exist), and the manual which had departed Rumson, NJ on the 13th, been "In Transit to Next Facility" as the only update on the 17th suddenly came to light and arrived at the USPS 'regional origin facility' in Jersey City on the 26th, departing there at 2:46 pm. It arrived in my mailbox (thankfully) on the 27th around 11:00 am. So it took 13 days to travel ~45 road miles, then just over 20 hours to go ~160 miles up to Springfield MA, be sorted, then travel another 66 back to Watertown, CT for final sort and delivery. Crazy how they manage to combine slow as molasses in January with FedEx Overnight fast for the same package.

Anywho - that gave me faint hope that the other package that was incommunicado since the 13th might eventually appear, too, and to my surprise it resurfaced on the 29th to again be processed through Bedford Park and head on to Chicago, after which it departed Chi Town on the 30th and arrived in Springfield, MA on the 31st. It left Springfield this morning at 3:50 am, made its way to Waterbury (the city next door) then on to Watertown and into my mailbox at about twenty of two in the afternoon. It took a day shy of four weeks to make it from Boston to me. Gotta love the postal system!

Now after my epic tale, I happily present the never-before-seen (at least not by me) Tektronix Christmas Mug:

Despite searching for the manual for years, I think I would have been more pissed if the mug had gone missing. Thankfully both ultimately arrived. Oh, and both packages had their original, perfectly legible, Pitney Bowes printed address labels, complete with tracking number, my full address including ZIP+4 and an assortment of bar codes.

-Pat
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

"All's well that ends well" :)
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Delivery services in the UK aren't as good as they were a few years back, and there's talk of Royal Mail delivering on only three days a week, but I've never heard of a saga like yours.

At least you got the items eventually and the mug wasn't broken.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Cubdriver wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:05 am I was beginning to think this would never arrive - spotted and instantly ordered it on March 6th from our favorite wallet depletion site. It was shipped that very day from Boston via USPS. Made it to Shrewsbury, MA the next day, then inexplicably went to Chicago. On Saturday the 9th it was processed through a USPS facility in Bedford Park, IL, then showed "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" for each day from Sunday until that Wednesday (the 10~13th). Then the updates just...

...stopped.

Around about the 23rd I printed out its itinerary (along with that of a manual that had also fallen into a black hole in its journey up from NJ) and went to visit the post office to ask if they could figure out what had happened to it/them. The clerk went in back and did some searching, then came back and said something must have happened that caused the labels to be unreadable or the like, and to be patient; they were probably being hand processed and would eventually arrive. I walked out figuring "Yeah, they're both gone..."

Kept tracking both, hoping against hope (the manual was for the hen's tooth 3735A counter; I'd been searching for one literally since getting the counter YEARS ago and had paid $41 for it because they simply don't exist), and the manual which had departed Rumson, NJ on the 13th, been "In Transit to Next Facility" as the only update on the 17th suddenly came to light and arrived at the USPS 'regional origin facility' in Jersey City on the 26th, departing there at 2:46 pm. It arrived in my mailbox (thankfully) on the 27th around 11:00 am. So it took 13 days to travel ~45 road miles, then just over 20 hours to go ~160 miles up to Springfield MA, be sorted, then travel another 66 back to Watertown, CT for final sort and delivery. Crazy how they manage to combine slow as molasses in January with FedEx Overnight fast for the same package.

Anywho - that gave me faint hope that the other package that was incommunicado since the 13th might eventually appear, too, and to my surprise it resurfaced on the 29th to again be processed through Bedford Park and head on to Chicago, after which it departed Chi Town on the 30th and arrived in Springfield, MA on the 31st. It left Springfield this morning at 3:50 am, made its way to Waterbury (the city next door) then on to Watertown and into my mailbox at about twenty of two in the afternoon. It took a day shy of four weeks to make it from Boston to me. Gotta love the postal system!

Now after my epic tale, I happily present the never-before-seen (at least not by me) Tektronix Christmas Mug:

Despite searching for the manual for years, I think I would have been more pissed if the mug had gone missing. Thankfully both ultimately arrived. Oh, and both packages had their original, perfectly legible, Pitney Bowes printed address labels, complete with tracking number, my full address including ZIP+4 and an assortment of bar codes.

-Pat
Typical USPS fuck ups. :roll: :roll:
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

April. Grass turning green, trees budding, birds singing. And then this. Not unheard of but unusual. Will probably melt by the end of the day. Next week temps will be Spring-like.

Time flies. Been here a year already. "Offically" moved in the 7th.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Spring can be unpredictable. It's wet and windy here, but there's the odd day when it's sunny and nice.

What's that building in the background that looks like a sawn off lighthouse?
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Zenith wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:06 pm

It's in the foreground. It's a lighthouse styled bird feeder.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

MED6753 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:59 pm

It's in the foreground. It's a lighthouse styled bird feeder.
Ah yes. I thought it was a building with its base hidden by the trees, but looking more closely I can see that isn't so. I must get some new specs.
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

It's the Moulin Noir, a lesser-known upstate NY landmark most remembered for being haunted by the unresting ghosts of slain tube rapists.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

A whole lot of hoopla over not much. Didn't feel it here, was traveling in the car at the time. No damage or anything rattled around here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us- ... n=BBCS_BBC
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Every few years we have an earthquake in the UK, about magnitude 5 or just less. The one I remember was the 2002 Dudley earthquake which was 4.7 and about 70 miles away. I was nodding off to sleep and there was a definite shock. At the epicentre there were some chimneys toppled and cracks in walls. I don't believe there were injuries or collapsed buildings.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Zenith wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:34 pm Every few years we have an earthquake in the UK, about magnitude 5 or just less. The one I remember was the 2002 Dudley earthquake which was 4.7 and about 70 miles away. I was nodding off to sleep and there was a definite shock. At the epicentre there were some chimneys toppled and cracks in walls. I don't believe there were injuries or collapsed buildings.
Every few days we have an earthquake in the UK. In the last 60 days there have been 34 earthquakes, ranging in magnitude from 0.1 to 3.2. Source: http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthq ... vents.html We have earthquakes all the time, it's just that we have few big ones.