TEK TM503 Project

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
bd139

Re: TEK TM503 Project

Post by bd139 »

tggzzz wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:31 pm
bd139 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:12 pm Yes looked it up. That's a bit sad but that's change for you. Added it to the list of things to go and see when I have F-road capability.

Character building is spending two weeks in a tent in Central Asia then two weeks in a van in Iceland with a psychotherapist. Neither a gale or impending armageddon-level event even raise an eyebrow now.
Make sure you check that her future research reports/case notes are appropriately Bowdlerised :twisted:
I'd rather she published what she was working on verbatim. Because it suggests it's all pointless.

Tags:
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

@bd139 I bet it was bloody cold in that van at night, it doesn't seem to have any insulation anywhere.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:49 pm @bd139 I bet it was bloody cold in that van at night, it doesn't seem to have any insulation anywhere.
Neither do tents; that's what sleeping bags are for. The van ought to be capable of keeping a howling gale out better than a tent.

I remember camping with my daughter in a howling gale at a cliff top camping site in Morthoe. We chose a windy weekend, since it makes waves for body boarding :) At dusk another tent arrived on the next pitch, was put up in the wrong direction (across the slope) and not tightened up properly; I pointed out to daughter why that would be an issue. When we woke up next morning, the tent was gone, as if it had never been there. Tee hee; Cassandra rulez.

On another occasion, daughter's mother was once there stuck on the beach while we were body boarding. We came out to hear mother protesting we must be mad; we simply asked "what's the issue, there's no wind in the water, and wetsuits prevent problems above water :)
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:49 pm @bd139 I bet it was bloody cold in that van at night, it doesn't seem to have any insulation anywhere.
I have a very nice Rab down sleeping bag and merino base layer. I'm good to about -20oC. I was actually running pretty hot!
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Re-cap of the FG501.

The vanquished.

Next step is final calibration.
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

tggzzz wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:23 am
Neither do tents; that's what sleeping bags are for. The van ought to be capable of keeping a howling gale out better than a tent.

I remember camping with my daughter in a howling gale at a cliff top camping site in Morthoe. We chose a windy weekend, since it makes waves for body boarding :) At dusk another tent arrived on the next pitch, was put up in the wrong direction (across the slope) and not tightened up properly; I pointed out to daughter why that would be an issue. When we woke up next morning, the tent was gone, as if it had never been there. Tee hee; Cassandra rulez.

On another occasion, daughter's mother was once there stuck on the beach while we were body boarding. We came out to hear mother protesting we must be mad; we simply asked "what's the issue, there's no wind in the water, and wetsuits prevent problems above water :)
That's what we call a "lazy" wind in Oz.
It doesn't bother going round you, it goes right through you.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

vk6zgo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:29 am That's what we call a "lazy" wind in Oz.
It doesn't bother going round you, it goes right through you.
That's a typically blunt and evocative Aussie concept. I like it :)
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

tggzzz wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:23 am

Yeah, I realise its way better than a tent, but equally Morthoe is way better than Iceland. I used to long distance lorry driving for a while, sleeping in the cab long before proper sleeper cabs were a thing and I used a sleeping bag as well, but I was still bleeding cold in the winter months.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Specmaster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:05 am Yeah, I realise its way better than a tent, but equally Morthoe is way better than Iceland. I used to long distance lorry driving for a while, sleeping in the cab long before proper sleeper cabs were a thing and I used a sleeping bag as well, but I was still bleeding cold in the winter months.
Sleeping bags have somewhat improved since then.

Mine demonstrated by the eldest who was doing an impression of a sandworm from Dune at the time :lol:

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 14.01.43.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:02 pm Mine demonstrated by the eldest who was doing an impression of a sandworm from Dune at the time :lol:
I've been like that in a ridge tent in Iceland :)
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

The calibration of the FG501 went smoothly with just minimal adjustments required. This unit is now done.

Some sample waveforms. The output impedance of this function generator is 50 ohms so the 2465 vertical was set to 50 ohms.

Next up is the PS503 Power Supply. I will be doing some extensive checking with an ohm meter first and possibly re-cap it before applying power.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Re-cap and initial check out of the PS503 Power Supply.

Re-capped.

After replacing the electrolytics and before replacing the tants decided to do an initial test. The supply came up fine, for about 5 minutes, then the positive supply went into current limit. C155, a 100uf/20v tant, got warm but did not flame because there wasn't enough available current. Verified shorted. Bloody tants. This is why I always replace them.

Replaced caps. One of those blue tants was the shorted culprit.

The supply works. This is in dual track mode. The fixed 5V supply also works.

Left to do is a calibration. I discovered while replacing the capacitors that the positive supply had a significant repair sometime in the past. Several transistors and diodes were replaced and there was a trace repair on the board.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Finishing up this project.

I made an executive decision to not replace the capacitor shown, plus one under it, on the TM503 supply at this time. In order to get the old ones out it will take major disassembly and lots of cursing to get the tabs unsoldered from the board. I have replacements in stock just in case.

The calibration of the PS503 was quite simple with no issues. So this project is complete. At some point I'll find another module for the vacant slot.

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

MED6753 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:54 pm I made an executive decision to not replace the capacitor shown, plus one under it, on the TM503 supply at this time. In order to get the old ones out it will take major disassembly and lots of cursing to get the tabs unsoldered from the board. I have replacements in stock just in case.
Probably a wise choice. I know from very recent experience that desoldering those cans can be a PITA. I used a 30W iron and a Soldapult and also a desoldering station. I found the desoldering station was the best, but it took ages and there's the risk of damaging something.

There might be a deluxe way of doing it, using a custom hot air head or something.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

MED6753 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:54 pm Finishing up this project.

I made an executive decision to not replace the capacitor shown, plus one under it, on the TM503 supply at this time. In order to get the old ones out it will take major disassembly and lots of cursing to get the tabs unsoldered from the board. I have replacements in stock just in case.

Image (SNIP)
Not gonna take a Sawzall to it like that other one, eh...?

mnem
:rofl:
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

mnementh wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:59 pm
MED6753 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:54 pm Finishing up this project.

Image (SNIP)
Not gonna take a Sawzall to it like that other one, eh...?

mnem
:rofl:
If sometime in the future I have to pull it apart and replace the sawzall might be in play again. :D
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mnem
this is where I usually put something pithy.
vk6zgo

Post by vk6zgo »

mnementh wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:25 pm Image

mnem
this is where I usually put something pithy.

You are always "taking the pith"! :)
ch_scr

Post by ch_scr »

I present to you: sanitized DM501 DC input "core circuit" schematics. AC circuits omitted for clarity.
Try reading the explanations of DC / Ohms / Integrator (beware of typos) again with this in hand...
AnalogInput_TekDM501.gif
The various bias circuits and current mirrors (and care taken upon them - or not) on display are surely a sight to behold!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.