RACAL 9301A (early version)

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
synx508

RACAL 9301A (early version)

Post by synx508 »

Well, the RACAL Instruments (rather than RACAL-DANA) 9301A that I bought on Sunday turned out to be very interesting if a little exasperating.

I rushed to plug it in when I got home and was pleased to see the power LED light, then less pleased to see it fade away as the 100mA mains fuse opened.

I put a 500mA fuse in, which kept the power supply running long enough to measure the unregulated input to its 15V regulators - both were below 10V. I then tried it from a bench supply with similar results, so it wasn't the bridge rectifier or smoothing/reservoir capacitors. You already know what's coming, it's a RACAL from 1978, it can only be tantalum capacitors.

Sure enough, after a few minutes running from my bench supply, where I'd nudged the current limit to 500mA and was watching both voltages falling alarmingly the smell of smoke became apparent despite it being confined to the heavy cast screening enclosures for the two major PCBs.

RACAL had used 16V tantalums on the positive and negative 15V rails. The first to go was a 10µF on the sweeper board, followed by less dramatic failures of 47µF. All red ones, was that STC? I think it might've been. I changed all the more likely to fail capacitors on the sweeper and the millivoltmeter began to show signs of life - the various oscillators began oscillating.

The remaining problem was that it was lacking in sensitivity, only 10dBm on the -50dB range got the meter swinging, additionally I couldn't follow the calibration steps because the signal was too small and seemed to increase only when I slammed the probe offset off centre. I solved this problem accidentally by spotting that my scope's input resistance on the probe output was enough to improve the situation - so clearly a DC offset. After dismantling the probe to check the diodes because I was convinced that all DC offsets much come from damaged diodes I proved myself wrong, the diodes were fine. The offset was yet more tantalum capacitors leaking horribly, so I changed three more on the amplifier/signal processing board and it started working normally with 0dB being within about 0.2dB all the way from -50 to +13dBm (as high as I can go without summoning more RF amplification).

This unit is special in a few ways, firstly it has an olive drab paint job and second, it doesn't match the service manual, because it lacks a 4051 multiplexer and a pile of variable resistors that would allow each range to be fine tuned individually. I expect this was cheaper than using precision resistors and my unit is probably *better* because of this omission, but I don't know for sure. Cost cutting by adding more, cheaper parts?

Tags:
Zenith

Re: RACAL 9301A (early version)

Post by Zenith »

Well done. It sounds like a tale with a happy ending.

Tants in Racal equipment have caused me grief in the past. They have been very difficult to desolder. Also the manual common on the WWW may not match the equipment you have, at all. I have two 9917A frequency counters. The manual for the 9917 is nothing like them. There are only circuit diagrams for the 9917A. The schematics are a little defective, having ICs with the same number and so on. Furthermore, the two 9917As are obviously different in significant detail, such as CMOS vs TTL chips and the surrounding circuitry being different in one position.
Cost cutting by adding more, cheaper parts?
A crude, reductionist way of describing "Value Engineering", or the new "Cost reduced, enhanced performance" version. It's obvious you never spent any time in marketing·
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Zenith wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:54 pm Also the manual common on the WWW may not match the equipment you have, at all. I have two 9917A frequency counters. The manual for the 9917 is nothing like them.
The Quad 405-2 audio power amp I inherited appears (from the service manual) to have 7 different variants. Fortunately I don't have to look closely!
synx508

Post by synx508 »

Zenith wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:54 pm Well done. It sounds like a tale with a happy ending.

Tants in Racal equipment have caused me grief in the past. They have been very difficult to desolder.
Happy enough, I'm happy. I may have exhausted my stock of 47µF and 10µF tantalums and there are still a few that will need changing at some point.

Definitely more difficult than it needed to be to remove the parts. RACAL's choice of solder seems to have a high melt point for leaded solder and their PCBs have a very low tolerance for heat. Holes drilled so the leads are tight, leads bent over and soldered for around 1.5mm. I used the total component destruction option and snipped the leads, removing the right-angled remnants from the solder side using tweezing technology, then some very nice Chemtronics desolder braid (bought at the rally, have you seen how much this stuff costs new now?!) to wick up the solder. This after my first attempt at straightening the leads before pulling the component out resulted in a delaminated pad.
One remaining problem was that the holes that ended in the ground plane were not heating through, so the top side hole was blocked up. The solder sucker wasn't much help and I resorted to pushing a hot wire through while heating the top side of the board.
I noticed that the ground plane leads on the solder side were not just a simple pad, but a pad with a short dead-end track leading away onto which the folded over leads can be soldered. They were taking no chances with bad joints, I suppose.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

synx508 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 am Happy enough, I'm happy. I may have exhausted my stock of 47µF and 10µF tantalums and there are still a few that will need changing at some point.
Last time I looked, CPC was surprisingly cheap for tant beads.
... some very nice Chemtronics desolder braid (bought at the rally, have you seen how much this stuff costs new now?!)...
I bought what I thought would be a lifetime's supply. Then TEA struck :(
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

tggzzz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:57 am
synx508 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 am
... some very nice Chemtronics desolder braid (bought at the rally, have you seen how much this stuff costs new now?!)...
Simples, just get yourself a nice desoldering gun, I've never regretting mine.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

Specmaster wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:35 pm
tggzzz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:57 am I bought what I thought would be a lifetime's supply. Then TEA struck :(
Simples, just get yourself a nice desoldering gun, I've never regretting mine.
I have a Metcal iron and a couple of solder suckers for larger quantities of solder.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Specmaster wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:35 pm Simples, just get yourself a nice desoldering gun, I've never regretting mine.
Desoldering guns are very good for some things, but not great for others. Solder suckers have their place, as does braid. All part of the arsenal of desoldering methods, each with its advantages. I have a dental pick with pointed ends which has been very handy for this sort of work. The desoldering gun often leaves a trace of solder which holds the part, but which can be broken by tweaking with the pick. I must get another one or two picks when I see them next.

I gather that for some things there are special hot air heads that make seemingly impossible desoldering jobs easy.

The problems with those Racal PCBs are:
  • The components are tightly packed and it isn't always easy to match the component side and the solder side. Sometimes a torch shining on the component side helps.
  • The leads are a tight fit in the holes, and they bent them over at a right angle on the solder side.
  • The solder seems quite high mp, which can be fixed by resoldering with 60/40, (or probably better, that specially low mp solder, which is expensive) but it's more trouble.

If the original component is scrap, which is usually the case, you may be able to cut it off. Since the components are tightly packed, that may not be easy, even with a decent pair of side cutters. You may be able to crush the original component, leaving its leads. In either case removing the leads and leaving a clean hole for the new component is far easier, or you can do a bodge, (which isn't pretty, but saves a lot of hassle), and solder the new part to the old leads; access may make that hard, especially with tightly packed components.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

synx508 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 am .... some very nice Chemtronics desolder braid (bought at the rally, have you seen how much this stuff costs new now?!) to wick up the solder.......
The thing with rallies is one goes with the hope of picking up a sought after major item, for not too much, but very often the haul of odds and ends; wire, components, manuals, books, some obscure junk instrument which is a nice case with IEC connector and transformer etc., makes the trip worth it.

I wish I'd spotted that desolder braid.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

tggzzz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:57 am
synx508 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 am Happy enough, I'm happy. I may have exhausted my stock of 47µF and 10µF tantalums and there are still a few that will need changing at some point.
Last time I looked, CPC was surprisingly cheap for tant beads.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem