This is utter BS. Is there some site configuration cure for it?

Get help on using the forum or report forum problems.
mnementh

This is utter BS. Is there some site configuration cure for it?

Post by mnementh »

I assume it must be some php-weenie built-in bullshit to screen out animated GIFs, as it clearly is not filesize-dependent. :roll:

mnem
please murder this with extreme prejudice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tggzzz

Re: This is utter BS. Is there some site configuration cure for it?

Post by tggzzz »

mnementh wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:56 pm I assume it must be some php-weenie built-in bullshit to screen out animated GIFs, as it clearly is not filesize-dependent. :roll:
To play advocatus diaboli, why do you need >10MB? Very few pictures benefit from being >0.5MB; usually cropping and scaling still allows everything to be seen. In addition, there may be non-linear thresholded costs associated with hosted storage and/or bandwidth.

There are occasional non-image files that are >10MB, but they are often excluded as "forbidden since we can't check they aren't malicious".
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

10MB is trivial today. What you're missing is that after several iterations, I got my piddly little animated gif down to less than 2MB, and phpBB is still kicking me in the balls over it.

And yes, it is important to the presentation I just finished in the main forum.

mnem
:middle_finger: phpBB.
Last edited by mnementh on Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Also, why do the effing standard emojis not work again...?

mnem
:middle_finger:² phpBB.
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

mnementh wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:11 pm 10MB is trivial today.
I have pictures bigger than that. They don't convey any more information than 200kB pictures, therefore the larger pictures are not beneficial.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

that is literally a completely irrelevant argument. I will not engage.
teadmin
Site Admin

Post by teadmin »

mnementh wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:11 pm 10MB is trivial today. What you're missing is that after several iterations, I got my piddly little animated gif down to less than 2MB, and phpBB is still kicking me in the balls over it.

And yes, it is important to the presentation I just finished in the main forum.

mnem
:middle_finger: phpBB.
@mnem: Can you email both the large and small versions to me so I can see what might be up? If the file size is OK, maybe there's something else it's tripping on.

Regarding the emoji's, the forum doesn't host them. Not a great idea to have them remote like that. So, that's how it broke the last time they didn't show up and it's probably the case this time, too.
teadmin
Site Admin

Post by teadmin »

Testing my optimized version of the 1.9 MB version of the animated GIF.

Click thumbnail to view.
8-CapstanI-opt.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teadmin
Site Admin

Post by teadmin »

Well, that worked. I still don't know exactly why the original files were being rejected, especially since the smallest one was only 1.9 MB, which is well below the 10 MB limit.

My suspicion is that the forum (or a program it is calling) may be getting confused by the animated frames and possibly interpreting the image dimensions as being much larger than one frame of the animation and then exceeding the still-image dimension limits. However, I'm not completely convinced that's it because of the nature of my manually optimized file (see below), which didn't get rejected.

When looking at the contents of the GIF, it has one key frame (i.e., complete image) and 15 incremental frames for the animation. However, a large portion of every animation frame has pixels changing when only the capstan needs to actually be animated. By clearing (making transparent) all the extraneous pixels from the animation frames, the file size drops from 1.9 MB to 262 KB. The dimensions of all the frames didn't change, though. It just compresses significantly better since most of the pixels in each frame are transparent.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

like I said, it also seems to choke on static .gifs and .pngs above a few hundred KB. No idea WTF its problem is.

The online .gif creator I used has a setting for that type of optimization, and I tried it. Did not make that drastic a change, tho; from 9.something GB down to 3.something. I really wanted to get some version of the 1600px wide .gif up, as you can really see how smooth the finish on that capstan turned out. This was kindof the entire reason for bothering with a .gif in the first place.

mnem
Thanks for trying...
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Meanwhile, it just took this silly 746KB gif into my secret stash without any issue whatsoever.

mnem
:roll:
teadmin
Site Admin

Post by teadmin »

Well, let's try it. Here's my optimized version of the 1600x900 animation.

Click thumbnail to view full size.
Capstan PlastiDip900opt.gif
Works! 840 KB. So you can probably just ref this image in your post since it's already on the server.

BTW, that use of PlastiDip is so cool and the result looks great. I may need that one day for some old cassette and open reel tape recorders.

P.S. It's good to know I can still out-optimize a machine. :lol: