Interesting findings on the internet

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
vk6zgo

Re: Interesting findings on the internet

Post by vk6zgo »

Cerebus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:53 pm
tggzzz wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:03 am I always regard rebranding as a negative. Either there is something to forget, or the managers know something isn't right but don't know what to do. That leads to "something must be done, this is something, this must be done".
I apologise if I've told y'all this anecdote before.

I used to work with a salesman, Nick, who in a former job had sold custom carpets, the sort with a made-to-order pattern in them, often a company name or logo. Nick discerned a pattern in one sub-class of his sales; when he sold a carpet complete with corporate branding to a company that was refurbishing its reception area in more than half the instances that company folded within 6 months.
When I was at the TV Studio, from time to time we would do major OBs, which entailed someone sitting on a hill setting up microwave links, baby sitting them all day, then derigging them, & the same the next day.

Often, someone would have to sit in a Toyota Hi Ace all day, but at one place we obtained access to the former Bond Corporation land sales office, which was perched on the side of the Darling Scarp, with a magnificent view.

We could bring the link gear back into the building, so there was a lot less "derigging" involved, the place was airconditioned & generally it was a soft job.
The whole sales office was palatial, with Bond Corp patterned carpets, & a magnificent Jarrah desk, supplemented by very comfortable swivel chairs.
Looking back at the timeline of this place, it seemed that its construction didn't precede Bond Corp's precipitous disappearance "down the gurgler" by very much.
tggzzz

Re: Interesting findings on the internet

Post by tggzzz »

vk6zgo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:20 am
Cerebus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:53 pm
tggzzz wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:03 am I always regard rebranding as a negative. Either there is something to forget, or the managers know something isn't right but don't know what to do. That leads to "something must be done, this is something, this must be done".
I apologise if I've told y'all this anecdote before.

I used to work with a salesman, Nick, who in a former job had sold custom carpets, the sort with a made-to-order pattern in them, often a company name or logo. Nick discerned a pattern in one sub-class of his sales; when he sold a carpet complete with corporate branding to a company that was refurbishing its reception area in more than half the instances that company folded within 6 months.
When I was at the TV Studio, from time to time we would do major OBs, which entailed someone sitting on a hill setting up microwave links, baby sitting them all day, then derigging them, & the same the next day.

Often, someone would have to sit in a Toyota Hi Ace all day, but at one place we obtained access to the former Bond Corporation land sales office, which was perched on the side of the Darling Scarp, with a magnificent view.

We could bring the link gear back into the building, so there was a lot less "derigging" involved, the place was airconditioned & generally it was a soft job.
The whole sales office was palatial, with Bond Corp patterned carpets, & a magnificent Jarrah desk, supplemented by very comfortable swivel chairs.
Looking back at the timeline of this place, it seemed that its construction didn't precede Bond Corp's precipitous disappearance "down the gurgler" by very much.
I was once involved in assessing a potential client. On entering the office reception they had wall-to-ceiling(!) carpet and a tall blonde receptionist with legs that went all the way up to her armpits.

The company had sold a novel microfilm document (remember them?) retrieval system concept to the Saudi national library for delivery in 9 months. They hadn't started development, and their salesman (a Mr Cohen, no less) wanted my company to enter into a contract with a stiff penalty clause. Unsurprisingly we declined to quote.