Will they or won't they fis it this time?

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
Specmaster

Re: Will they or won't they fis it this time?

Post by Specmaster »

Has the saga come to an end now? Last Tuesday they came back to replace the inverter and the RCD, along with the MCB, booked to be here between 8am and midday, what time did they arrive, not until around 2pm. I had to phone them and see what was happening and was told that the engineer had been, erh no he hadn't been. Apparently he told them he called but nobody was in, or nobody answered the door, all was BS.

The office phoned him and then called me back to advise me that he was going to come back later in the day, which he did and when he came he claimed that he had the wrong address in the first instance and appolgised. He replaced the RCD and MCB and then replaced the inverter, by which time the daylight had gone so he was unable to get the panels generating any DC in order to initialise the inverter and that he would have to come back again to do it or I could do it, I said that I was not going to touch it (thinking that if it didn't work, they might use that as an excuse not to fix it) so he had to arrange to back again the following Tuesday, the 28th.

He was also supposed to tidy up the rough installation that the installers left behind, which he didn't so I phoned the office and requested that when he came back, he did that as well.

This Tuesday, he came back and got the inverter working, and replaced the 25mm2 tails to the RCD (incoming cable from inverter is only 6mm2) with new 15mm2, the crap distribution board for the RCD and MCB and place the tails in trunking.

This he did, but did not remove the Henley Block to the intake cupboard, so we still have this in full view above the front :shock:, and he managed to cut the trunking about 20mm short. At least the solar system is now apparently fully working again, and I'm willing to bet that all it needed to get it working in the first instance was the replacement of the faulty RCD.

The only other item they could have replaced was the panels themselves, where has all the skilled people gone? By replacing so much, they are bound to find the faulty part, aren't they?

So now we have had a new inverter installed, and the RCD and MCB have been replaced twice, last Tuesday and this Tuesday (why) and a new metal enclosure for the RCD and MCB along with new 15mm2 tails but the fugly Henley Block remains, he never had enough tails he claimed.

So I'll have to replace the trunking, or at least the lid myself, good job my middle son works at an electrical wholesaler so he can get hopefully a piece of damaged trunking for it.

This has only taken since July 7th 2022 to get resolved, does no-one care about service any more?

The photo shows the old tails and Henley Block, the old fixing holes etc are the result of the consumer being replaced earlier to provide some extra MCB ways for new circuits.
tails.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

No manager cares any more, not even the ones whose job it is specifically to do so. Tradies that get paid by the hour usually care, those that work to a price do not, they only want to get everything done and fuck off as fast as possible.

EDIT: I'm wondering where the supports are on that horizontal run of tails (cable ties don't count), as there's specific guidance on this in the BS7671 regs.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

AVGresponding wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm No manager cares any more, not even the ones whose job it is specifically to do so. Tradies that get paid by the hour usually care, those that work to a price do not, they only want to get everything done and fuck off as fast as possible.

EDIT: I'm wondering where the supports are on that horizontal run of tails (cable ties don't count), as there's specific guidance on this in the BS7671 regs.
Answer is, there were none, The RCD enclosure was right at the opposite end of the CU, but now those tails have reduced to 15mm from the original 25mm thus making termination in the RCD enclosure easier, and they are now encased in some trunking.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

Specmaster wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:06 pm
AVGresponding wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm No manager cares any more, not even the ones whose job it is specifically to do so. Tradies that get paid by the hour usually care, those that work to a price do not, they only want to get everything done and fuck off as fast as possible.

Answer is, there were none, The RCD enclosure was right at the opposite end of the CU, but now those tails have reduced to 15mm from the original 25mm thus making termination in the RCD enclosure easier, and they are now encased in some trunking.
I'm guessing you mean 16mm^2 rather than 15mm...

If the trunking the tails are in is plastic, it needs to have metal supports, ie fire-clips inside it, every 300mm.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻