Newest TE

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
MED6753

Newest TE

Post by MED6753 »

After all this time I finally sprung for a decent ESR meter. Peak Atlas ESR70. Instructions in English and made in the UK. So it has to be good, right? :D It's first test will be during the restoration of the Type 547. I'll check the PSU capacitors and if this meter indicates good ESR against my better judgement the capacitor will remain in place. If it shorts out and blows up later I'll do the typical thing and blame everything else except myself. :P :lol:

An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:

Tags:
tautech

Re: Newest TE

Post by tautech »

That should serve you well Mike.

Mine's Shannon's ST42 SMD tweezers to assess for NZ sale although having a mare of a time trying to update its FW.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004239869204.html?

From the list icons, the one I got is labelled ST42 TestBrd LeaCase, 2nd to last.

Siglent Distributor NZ, TE Enabler
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

@MED6753:

The ESR70 are a fine tool for service/diag work, particularly on stuff big enuf fer alligators. Didja get the tweezer option too? It is useful for TH stuff on a PCB as well.

@tautech:

I'm still having a hard time seeing where the Shannon tweezer fits in the Smart-tweezer food-chain; what I've read they are mostly a FW update applied to a clone of the ST5C Colibri Smart-Tweezer model(the original one released almost 20 years ago now), so nowhere near the same QC as the current ST-5S and ST-5BT Smart-Tweezer.

I look forward to your evaluation; I do hope I'm missing something. For now I'll keep using my MS8911; with my tired old eyes I really do like the oversized LCD on it.

mnem
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:55 pm @MED6753:

The ESR70 are a fine tool for service/diag work, particularly on stuff big enuf fer alligators. Didja get the tweezer option too? It is useful for TH stuff on a PCB as well.

@tautech:

I'm still having a hard time seeing where the Shannon tweezer fits in the Smart-tweezer food-chain; what I've read they are mostly a FW update applied to a clone of the ST5C Colibri Smart-Tweezer model(the original one released almost 20 years ago now), so nowhere near the same QC as the current ST-5S and ST-5BT Smart-Tweezer.

I look forward to your evaluation; I do hope I'm missing something. For now I'll keep using my MS8911; with my tired old eyes I really do like the oversized LCD on it.

mnem
Yup, I have the same issue with my eyes and hence why I have the Iso-Tech LCR1750 tweezers which I got a couple of years back and have hardly used them, but when I have, they have done the job perfectly OK.

I was just now trying to find online images of them and drew a blank, indicating that I might be on my own with these as all the images I kept coming were ones called "smart tweezers" that look like the ones tautech has. :roll:
IMG_20230702_180415.jpg
IMG_20230702_180449.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
tautech

Post by tautech »

mnementh wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:55 pm @tautech:

mnem
Cost is better and with the little comparison done against my old ST3, accuracy is at another level.
FW updates are an issue which I'll document when sorted in Shannons thread in that other blog.

Otherwise it's not fair to compare much until the latest FW is installed.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yeah, I think the old ST3 is the one they call the ST5C/Colibri model now.

mnem
tzzzzzt.
tautech

Post by tautech »

mnementh wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:25 am Yeah, I think the old ST3 is the one they call the ST5C/Colibri model now.

mnem
tzzzzzt.
Nope, ST3 is even older and a different design and available rechargeable or not.
Mine takes LR44 cells but some IIRC came with inductive charging.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I'm almost positive the original product was released under the Colibri umbrella; I guess the ST5C must've been the last iteration from that design cabal...?

mnem
:thinking:
tautech

Post by tautech »

mnementh wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:47 pm I'm almost positive the original product was released under the Colibri umbrella; I guess the ST5C must've been the last iteration from that design cabal...?

mnem
:thinking:
......as he digs out the OEM box, Cal cert and instruction pamphlet....no, the Colibri name had not even been invented !
At that time they were only known as ST-AS Smart Tweezers by Bokar International that also had 4 additional websites, all with SMT somewhere in their URL.
I emailed them many years back and got the hardcase for mine as it was an optional extra.
Only later when other models were developed were these given the ST-3 moniker.

Unlike all later models ST-3 used a Jog Dial on the side to navigate Up, Down and Select in menus rather than the later joystick style, which in the image a couple posts back you can clearly see any joystick style control is missing.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ehhh... must've been I saw the version offered through Colibri and thought it was the first. I mean, it sortof made sense; a manufacturer that did electronic lighters, watches and clocks tapped for manufacturing & distribution of this little high-tech wonder.

mnem
needs more cowbell.
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

My newest TE is a "NORMA NORMAMETER 910", manufactured by LEM.
20230721_123739.jpg
The LCD viewing angle and the sturdy silicone covered steel tilting bail imply it's intended as a bench meter. There are quite a lot of unused LCD annunciators, this being the most basic model in the 900-series. The boot time is quite long for a basic meter, but not onerously so.
20230721_124746.jpg
20230721_131128.jpg

The default sample rate is quite fast, though if you change it to slow it goes into 4.5 digit mode, which is quite nice. It also ranges quite fast. I haven't done a full qualification of it yet, but I did measure a MR55 0.1% 877R:

20230721_131353.jpg

4.5 digits are not available on the diode test and continuity modes. The diode test has an open circuit voltage of 4.1v, but won't measure above 2.2v. The continuity is pretty bad; it's very slow, though it does latch. The battery door and case are both clip-fit, rather than screw, which I don't like. Getting inside, the back of the case has a folded sheet aluminium shield, rather than cheap foil or conductive paint.

20230721_125417.jpg

There's an asic made by AMS, there is a German IC manufacturer by that name but the logo is different, so... The asic is marked "NORMA" so it's a fair bet it's exclusive to this range of meters. There's empty IC pads, no doubt for the hardware for the more advanced models.

20230721_125507.jpg

The rotary switch is an interesting variation from the norm :twisted:
You can also see the sole PTC or MOV, not sure which, which is all the protection you get apart from the 6x32mm ceramic 2A fuse.

20230721_125537.jpg

There's no range divider hybrid resistor, maybe these blue Philips jobbies that are pointing every which way are "it". The other side of the board doesn't have much, and the front of the case has another sheet aluminium shield, and a plastic insulator shim.

20230721_125902.jpg
20230721_130426.jpg

On the whole, my initial impressions are good, especially given the cost of £7.14 shipped :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

AVGresponding wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:11 pm My newest TE is a "NORMA NORMAMETER 910", manufactured by LEM.
"Norma" just makes me immediately think of the Spitting Image rendition of John Major's wife Norma. Especially with so much pea green on that meter.

Robert

Post by Robert »

My latest meter arrived today. It is a sound level meter. A CEL 393. This is a early microprocessor controlled class 1 (high accuracy) meter.
CEL393.jpg
On ebay from a seller who obviously knew nothing about it. There are two versions of the meter that are visually identical not even a different part number. The B version has octave and 1/3 octtave filters and other added functionality. Anyway I decided to have a punt. I won it and when it arrived I stuck a battery in it. Selected filters and winner it's a B :D Meter is spot on according to my calibrator.
How much did I bid? £10 plus £2.75 P&P. This was an expensive meter new. Even now any Class 1 meter with 1/3 octave filters will be four figures.

Robert.