Tektronix 1240 Logic Analyzer

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
dl6lr

Tektronix 1240 Logic Analyzer

Post by dl6lr »

I got a Tek 1240 from a friend. Offered for free. "Distorted image" was the symptom. So I said yes. It took some time for the instrument to arrive.
I repaired it. The offending part was a kind of Zener-Crapacitor, an electrolyte being installed in wrong polarity in the factory.

My repair report, unfortunately in german (I promised my friend to report to him).

http://www.laengerich.com/tmp/Tek1240/T ... Repair.pdf abt. 10MB

Haven't tried to Google-xlate it...

Tags:
Zenith

Re: Tektronix 1240 Logic Analyzer

Post by Zenith »

An electrolytic capacitor installed with reverse polarity in the factory, is a very unusual fault. I wouldn't expect it to last long at all. I'd have thought it wouldn't survive factory testing, and certainly not the guarantee. I'd guess it was operating at a low voltage and was used in a feedback loop or such.

I can see it happening in the course of repair. Sometimes the silk screening showing the polarity is confusing or just wrong. Usually it's easy to tell if a capacitor has been factory fitted or is a replacement.
vk6zgo

Re: Tektronix 1240 Logic Analyzer

Post by vk6zgo »

Zenith wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:24 pm An electrolytic capacitor installed with reverse polarity in the factory, is a very unusual fault. I wouldn't expect it to last long at all. I'd have thought it wouldn't survive factory testing, and certainly not the guarantee. I'd guess it was operating at a low voltage and was used in a feedback loop or such.

I can see it happening in the course of repair. Sometimes the silk screening showing the polarity is confusing or just wrong. Usually it's easy to tell if a capacitor has been factory fitted or is a replacement.
It happens in the best of families.

I remember, whilst doing "scattergun" replacement of electros in a (then) 15 year old Sony BVM1410 Broadcast standard picture monitor, coming across a bunch of them which had been factory installed in strict adherence to the silkscreen polarity marking.
Tracing through the circuit showed that they were all reversed, but they had survived all that time----go figure!