Agilent 56422A scope

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
mansaxel

Agilent 56422A scope

Post by mansaxel »

So, inspired by mnem and BD, who both hail the MegaZoom technology of the late-hp / early-Agilent scopes, I pounced on one available in-country. 2ch, no digital inputs, 100MHz bandwidth. Also no probes. Looks like it has GPIB which IIRC came with the math package, and thus FFT, right?

I have not seen it running, so it is a pig in a bag right now, and AFAICT seller hasn't shipped yet.

Updates forthcoming.

Tags:
AVGresponding

Re: Agilent 56422A scope

Post by AVGresponding »

Is there an ebay link or similar?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

AVGresponding wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:02 am Is there an ebay link or similar?
Yup,

https://www.tradera.com/item/1711/64209 ... scilloskop
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

The GPIB module is just a GPIB module on these, I think you're thinking of the Tek TDS210. FFT is standard on 546xx series scopes

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 4622A.html
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

AVGresponding wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:19 am The GPIB module is just a GPIB module on these, I think you're thinking of the Tek TDS210. FFT is standard on 546xx series scopes

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 4622A.html
Ah, thanks. Also, shipping company has made noises indicating they've been alerted to a package being offered to them for transport.
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

Scope arrived.

Packaging was abysmal. Scope survived unscathed. Probably due to the rack mount kit which is quite a bit of steel.

Upon power-up, it complains about its battery, and so, but is otherwise working. Self test passes. I need to do an user cal -- the last one was in 2005.

I immediately have taken a likening to it. This is fun.

AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

mansaxel wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:39 pm Scope arrived.

Packaging was abysmal. Scope survived unscathed. Probably due to the rack mount kit which is quite a bit of steel.

Upon power-up, it complains about its battery, and so, but is otherwise working. Self test passes. I need to do an user cal -- the last one was in 2005.

Welcome to the MegaZoom brotherhood. ;)

User cal will be pointless until after you replace the NVRAM battery; that and storing user setups are what it's for. There may also be a battery in the GPIB module.

You should also have a Vector Graphics image and/or game EasterEgg on that one. Mine has the "ASTEROIDS" clone EasterEgg shown here:

https://blog.sector101.co.uk/2019/06/15 ... aster-egg/

mnem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mansaxel

Post by mansaxel »

Confirmed. I have the Asteroids game.

Also, the rotary encoders are a bit jittery. The only Internet search finds on that is a blog post on the older "Digitizing Oscilloscope" series which turned out to be hairline cracks in the encoder PCB. I'd rather not.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Ah yeah been there.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ ... ms-repair/

That one was hell.
25 CPS

Post by 25 CPS »

mansaxel wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:39 pm Scope arrived.

I'm glad the scope arrived in good shape despite the bad job the seller did with packing it for shipping. I don't understand why terrible packing is the norm now even when it's test equipment being shipped by supposedly experienced sellers. The last time I bought used test equipment online, it was a spectrum analyzer which was shipped in its own case that was wrapped in cardboard. Luckily it arrived unscathed but wow, I was having visions of the HP coffee cups when I opened that up. If the scope was shipped similarly to either of those, I'm really glad it worked out for you.