Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

The place to be when you have TEA. Discuss all kinds of test equipment.

Important: Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about.
Forum rules
Use tags for the type of equipment your topic is about. Include the "repairs" tag, too, when appropriate. If a new tag is needed, request one in the TEAdministration forum.
tggzzz

Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) : Discussion and Group Therapy Thread

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 am
tggzzz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 am Sounds like you are angling for constructive dismissal in reverse :) That's what email trails and dictaphones in the shirt pocket were invented.
I've got enough ammo to be completely untouchable at this point :)
Don't forget GPS. That was invented so you could mark where the skeletons are buried :)
Well there is and there isn't. It depends on where you are culturally. Less government isn't a good idea. It's there to perform valuable functions in society.
That's what libertards conveniently and deliberately forget to consider and omit to mention.
What are problems are efficiency and corruption which is rife. My point is more that a lot of our existence is completely wasted on pointless procedural stuff to tick boxes that don't need to exist.
Yes and yes. One of government's prime responsibilities is to reduce unconstrained corruption and nepotism.
That needs to be reduced considerably. My time is not valued, but it is priceless to me.
Yes again.

I'm reminded of the value placed on SSSIs when planning roads and developments. While SSSIs are priceless in the important sense of the word, they become priceless in the monetary sense of the word. Hence it costs less in terms of compensation to route roads through SSSIs than around them. That isn't, unfortunately, only a theoretical effect :( I suspect it featured in several episodes of that well-remembered documentary, "Yes, Minister"
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

So... get rid of money then?

After all, its primary purpose in modern society is to allow stupid, greedy people to set their price on your most valuable commodity, as if they had a clue what your skills and time are actually worth.

mnem
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

bd139 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:32 am Oh I was ok on that. There was a SQL Server DBA in the group. He was top infidel lookalike.
DBA? Just asking to be sacrificed, that it.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

tggzzz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 am Careful. Soon you'll be espousing that libertarian nonsense, "shared space" roads.
Or as I refer to them: "Free fire zones". ;)
nixiefreqq

Post by nixiefreqq »

took asta out to pee last night at 9pm. smell of smoke was so strong that i thought one of the neighbors out back had a bonfire going. nope. it was smokey everywhere.

this morning we are in an orange fog. from the front porch we can usually see a cell tower and water tower about 2 miles away. this morning they are not visible, and houses only a couple of hundred yards away are hard to see. my eyes are itchy. it smells like dirty socks on a campfire.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS UP IN CANADA BURNING?
free range primate since 2011
AVGresponding

Post by AVGresponding »

nixiefreqq wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:43 am took asta out to pee last night at 9pm. smell of smoke was so strong that i thought one of the neighbors out back had a bonfire going. nope. it was smokey everywhere.

this morning we are in an orange fog. from the front porch we can usually see a cell tower and water tower about 2 miles away. this morning they are not visible, and houses only a couple of hundred yards away are hard to see. my eyes are itchy. it smells like dirty socks on a campfire.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS UP IN CANADA BURNING?
There's a big forest fire going on there, according to the news in the UK
Last edited by AVGresponding on Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yup. Air Quality Alert conditions here for like a week; before that we had fires in BC (IIRC) doing similar. I'm taking Sudafed 3x a day rather than the usual 2x.

mnem

'tweren't me...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

The smokey conditions were so bad yesterday that my eyes burned when outside.
An old gray beard with an attitude. I don't bite.....sometimes :twisted:
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

MED6753 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:23 pm The smokey conditions were so bad yesterday that my eyes burned when outside.
Are you still in Highland or was your move further afield?
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Cerebus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:30 pm
MED6753 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:23 pm The smokey conditions were so bad yesterday that my eyes burned when outside.
I guess you haven't been following all the activity here.

viewtopic.php?t=134
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

MED6753 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:48 pm
Cerebus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:30 pm
I guess you haven't been following all the activity here.

viewtopic.php?t=134
Oops, never mind. I misread what you wrote. Moved about 40 minutes south west of Highland in Middletown.
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

MED6753 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:19 pm Oops, never mind. I misread what you wrote. Moved about 40 minutes south west of Highland in Middletown.
Somewhere around Chestertown by any chance?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Specmaster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:38 am
MED6753 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:19 pm Oops, never mind. I misread what you wrote. Moved about 40 minutes south west of Highland in Middletown.
Somewhere around Chestertown by any chance?
The only Chestertown I'm aware of in NYS is way up in the Adirondacks in Northern NY. Here's a map. Highland is in the upper right by the Hudson River. Middletown is lower left.

Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Oops, I read it as being 40 minutes west of Highlands, in Middletown so posted that into GoogleEarth and it took me to Middletown on the Connecticut River, and there is Highlands just to the northwest, like a suburb of Middletown, and then I just estimated a 40-minute drive from there in a southwest direction :roll:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Advance-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi-Heathkit-Duratool
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Specmaster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 pm Oops, I read it as being 40 minutes west of Highlands, in Middletown so posted that into GoogleEarth and it took me to Middletown on the Connecticut River, and there is Highlands just to the northwest, like a suburb of Middletown, and then I just estimated a 40-minute drive from there in a southwest direction :roll:
Yes, there is also a Middletown, Connecticut so an easy mistake for someone not familiar with the region.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

MED6753 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:47 pm Yes, there is also a Middletown, Connecticut so an easy mistake for someone not familiar with the region.
Understandable, but if the mistake had put you in Jersey you'd quite reasonably take it as a slur on your good name and character. :D
MED6753

Post by MED6753 »

Cerebus wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:50 pm
MED6753 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:47 pm Yes, there is also a Middletown, Connecticut so an easy mistake for someone not familiar with the region.
Understandable, but if the mistake had put you in Jersey you'd quite reasonably take it as a slur on your good name and character. :D
Absolutely since I don't speak Pig English nor smell like a sewer. :P :D
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ehhh..... Jerseyites aren't all that bad... though we did escape Burlington when I was still but a toddler... :rofl:

mnem
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

Thought it was about time to post a few photos of the new car, on the way home from the dealers, in Mansfield, I managed to get almost 67mpg from it without trying and if the other drivers had achieved the same results, it would give a theoretical range 960 miles per tankful 66 litres. Instead when I refuelled on the way home the computer predicted 870 miles, a huge increase over the old car, and it too was a 2 litre engine with the same sized tank.
Couple that with a VED of only £35 a year and its ULEZ compliant so that's all good.
IMG_6964.JPG
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_9787.jpg
IMG_9794.jpg
IMG_9796.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who let Murphy in?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

So how much are you upside-down $$$-wise vs the old one?

If it really is that much more economical, you think it will pay for itself before it's the same age/mileage?

mnem
Specmaster

Post by Specmaster »

mnementh wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:25 am So how much are you upside-down $$$-wise vs the old one?

If it really is that much more economical, you think it will pay for itself before it's the same age/mileage?

mnem
You know, I think I'll be £ in pocket with this one after all. After the first crap valuation of my old car, my insurance company took over the claim on my behalf and we agreed on a final value of £10,000 for my old one, the new one cost me just £10,500 and is 3 years younger. What's the catch I hear you cry, the mileage, my old one was 79,000 and the new one is 138,000 but has a full service history, had everything done by the book, comes with 10 months MOT, just had new brakes, full service, gearbox service, aircon service, new cambelt and water pump, new N/S headlight and a new N/S rear light and also only costs me now £35 a year VED as opposed to £180 and the next service is not due for 2 years because of my mileage. So if the accident never happened, I'd be paying out for another service, £300, another cambelt and water pump change £700, a new MOT and also a further £180 VED all at the end of August so you can see, it all looks to be smelling of roses :lol:

Oh, and the best bit is that I paid £12,500 for my old car, 6.5 years ago so putting all the running costs to one side, it has only cost me £385 a year in deprecation so not too shabby for all the luxury motoring I've enjoyed, and now I have it all again with some extra toys thrown in.
Who let Murphy in?

bd139

Post by bd139 »

Congrats on the new car Specmaster :)

Got myself some new wheels as well this week. ULEZ and congestion charge exempt, not an ICE, easy to park, low insurance cost :lol:

Just using it as a shopping cart here, mostly off the roads (joy to C40 / C9 route / local parks / river)
20230610_212042674_iOS.jpg
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:25 pm Congrats on the new car Specmaster :)

Got myself some new wheels as well this week. ULEZ and congestion charge exempt, not an ICE, easy to park, low insurance cost :lol:
... easily nickable[1], bugger all use for transporting boat anchors from fields near junctions on the M5[1], too cosy when your daughters are passengers, and the potholes will turn milk into butter on the journey home.

[1] I have a Brompton, which largely avoids the nickability problem: either you store it under your desk or bend it into a pretzel before chaining it to railings. Potholes are really entertaining, though.

[2] or, as might happen tomorrow morning, from church halls and car parks where the locals have too much Pb and Cd in their diet.
bd139

Post by bd139 »

Oh hell no to the Brompton. I borrowed one from a colleague years ago for a weekend. I would never ride a foldable. As for nickable, I have a fairly hefty D lock with separate cable and insurance. It's not an expensive or difficult to replace bike (Halfords < 400 quid) so I would not be devastated if it's nicked.

But boat anchors; indeed. I reckon I could get a 465 on each side of the pannier rack...
tggzzz

Post by tggzzz »

bd139 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:39 pm Oh hell no to the Brompton. I borrowed one from a colleague years ago for a weekend. I would never ride a foldable.
Foldables inherently have more compromises than standard bikes.

I like mine as a commuting bike and a London bike, since I can take them on trains, coaches and tubes without anybody complaining.
As for nickable, I have a fairly hefty D lock with separate cable and insurance. It's not an expensive or difficult to replace bike (Halfords < 400 quid) so I would not be devastated if it's nicked.

But boat anchors; indeed. I reckon I could get a 465 on each side of the pannier rack...
You're in the flatlands; you might change that attitude if you lived in Highgate or Hampstead Heath!

Pairs over the rear wheels aren't so bad, provided the tyres/wheels can cope and you don't need to deviate in an emergency - e.g. someone steps out in front of you or attempts to door you.